Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Looking at the Clare game yesterday, Duggan did absolute wreck on their puck outs. He moved right across the line targeting different Limerick players and had huge success.. he also switched his catching hand at times.

From a Cork pov we need each player in the half back line to be strong under puckouts. Pick your team accordingly and for the love of God please don't be afraid to bat the ball.

The half back lines primary function is to stop the ball.

On another note how did ye fare getting out of the place it was almost 8.30 before i hit Dungarvan for grub.

I read Finny Mac on twitter last night absolutely raging about the traffic chaos there. He said nobody should ever be listened to again that PUC is difficult to get out of given just how bad the tailbacks were coming out of waterfud. Said the gardai and stewards were thin on the ground and/or didn't care.

One bloke going back to Watergrasshill I think said he had to go via Cahir such was the chaos trying to get out the Cork road.

I read Finny Mac on twitter last night absolutely raging about the traffic chaos there. He said nobody should ever be listened to again that PUC is difficult to get out of given just how bad the tailbacks were coming out of waterfud. Said the gardai and stewards were thin on the ground and/or didn't care.

One bloke going back to Watergrasshill I think said he had to go via Cahir such was the chaos trying to get out the Cork road.
Had the exact same experience. And this was a game that had 12k attendees, with maybe 6-7k heading back to Cork!!

Your can’t go off a training game. There is a lot going on to during games off the ball. Fellas will be doing things to upset the player their marking . There is lots going on that you can’t do in a training game . You hardly want to be upsetting your teammate and saying personal shit to him and butting him with the Hurley and trying to upset him . Some players love all that and come championship turn into different animals . Players like lehane will prob show up well in a training match but I say he is easily made uncomfortable from opposition defenders . You need heart at the end of the day and no doubt young Downey has that in him . The management are a disgrace . I wouldn’t let Pat Ryan run a lemonade stand down the Pairc next Sunday never mind pick a cork team
That doesn't apply at intercounty.

In tramore 4 weeks ago a person I know came across a Waterford A v B match
The intensity was ferocious.

With a few minutes to go right in front of the management the Bs were given a free and an A player tried to take it quickly.

Another B player came steaming in and blew him out of it.

All hell broke loose

Fitzgeralds reaction was to turn to the camera man and tell him switch it off.
Eventually the fighting stopped and the free was taken

Its such a deflating feeling today. Everyone else has already pointed out the observations so I won't. I agree with the 4 players who came out of it with credit and the overarching statement that the management team must shoulder massive amounts of responsibility for that terrible performance. Will we ever get over this inconsistency we always seem to have these days?

Having read all the comments too - two other things:
- fair play to Waterford. Their backs were to the wall; they got their best players back on the field and gave it socks for the whole game. They deserved the win.
- online abuse of players is sickening. Say a fella didn't have a good day. Say you wouldn't pick him the next day. That's all within the bounds of reason and fairness. But anyone who gets personal on the abuse of a player, ours or an opponent, needs to have a serious look at themsleves.

Looking forward to next week and the month ahead:

GK - I suppose it has to be Collins nearly. I desperately hoped Saunderson would have gotten more time in the league so he could become a viable option but it never happened. So it would be very difficult now, baring injury, to drop him into next weekend.

FB - Sean O had a fine game and kept Dessie quiet. I'd put him on the excellent Aidan McC next week. How Shane Kingston from last years U20 team wasn't on the squad this year is a complete mystery to me. He seemed to be exactly what we needed - young, hardy, physical player who defends first and hurls second. But alas, between Damien and Roche its a toss-up. I think Damo gets a lot of unfair criticism. Not one of his best days yesterday but I'd keep him, just, on a short leash, for the Clare match. I'd keep Ger and give him a man-marking job on whoever the opposition roaming forward is. He's good at that. Asking him to play positionally isn't using his capabilities properly IMHO.

HB - Joyce at CB. Poor game yesterday. Looked off form. But we need him next week to be firing. Rob Downey at #7. Should never have been out of it. Best player in the league for me at that position. He needs to cover Duggan. Another annoyance for me was the lack of usage of Daire O'L. Not sure if he was injured or not but he was certainly one of the best on that U20 team and deserved better since then I feel. Maybe too late for this year already unfortunately so I'd go with Eoin Downey, again on a short leash as he has yeat to fully convince, but he's earned a shot.

MF - assuming we play three there I'd go with Colemen, Ethan Twomey and one of Tommy or Roche (if his form has recovered). I'd give Tommy another go. He did a lot of tracking back and hooking/harrying/hassling yesterday that isn't glamorous and won't get headlines. But for the love of God keep him out of the half-back line for his own good. Hoping Mullins is fit and ready soon - he's a savage young player who I'd have in there as a sub for next week.

Forwards - Fitzy, Tim & if he's fit Dalton. If he isn't fit then Cunningham. Barrett & Connolly. Keep Connolly close to goals. He's John Fitzgibbon in disguise. Cracking player. Hope he stays fit from now on. Barrett has earned his place and took his chance very well yestreday. I'd have Robbie, Jack O and Hayes ready to come on.

Collins
O'Donoghue Cahalane Mellerick
Downey Joyce Downey
E Twomey Coleman O'Connell
O'Mahony Fitzgibbon Dalton/Cunningham
Barrett Connolly

Subs: Saunderson, Roche, N O'Leary, Mullins, Hayes, O'Flynn, O'Connor

Interested in fellas thougts. Not the usual 'ah delusional, Corkness, hurling snobs' bullshit. Actual proper reasoned thoughts on what you would change from mine?

That doesn't apply at intercounty.

In tramore 4 weeks ago a person I know came across a Waterford A v B match
The intensity was ferocious.

With a few minutes to go right in front of the management the Bs were given a free and an A player tried to take it quickly.

Another B player came steaming in and blew him out of it.

All hell broke loose

Fitzgeralds reaction was to turn to the camera man and tell him switch it off.
Eventually the fighting stopped and the free was taken
We heard many a story from KK Like this, These stories tend to grow legs,

Its such a deflating feeling today. Everyone else has already pointed out the observations so I won't. I agree with the 4 players who came out of it with credit and the overarching statement that the management team must shoulder massive amounts of responsibility for that terrible performance. Will we ever get over this inconsistency we always seem to have these days?

Having read all the comments too - two other things:
- fair play to Waterford. Their backs were to the wall; they got their best players back on the field and gave it socks for the whole game. They deserved the win.
- online abuse of players is sickening. Say a fella didn't have a good day. Say you wouldn't pick him the next day. That's all within the bounds of reason and fairness. But anyone who gets personal on the abuse of a player, ours or an opponent, needs to have a serious look at themsleves.

Looking forward to next week and the month ahead:

GK - I suppose it has to be Collins nearly. I desperately hoped Saunderson would have gotten more time in the league so he could become a viable option but it never happened. So it would be very difficult now, baring injury, to drop him into next weekend.

FB - Sean O had a fine game and kept Dessie quiet. I'd put him on the excellent Aidan McC next week. How Shane Kingston from last years U20 team wasn't on the squad this year is a complete mystery to me. He seemed to be exactly what we needed - young, hardy, physical player who defends first and hurls second. But alas, between Damien and Roche its a toss-up. I think Damo gets a lot of unfair criticism. Not one of his best days yesterday but I'd keep him, just, on a short leash, for the Clare match. I'd keep Ger and give him a man-marking job on whoever the opposition roaming forward is. He's good at that. Asking him to play positionally isn't using his capabilities properly IMHO.

HB - Joyce at CB. Poor game yesterday. Looked off form. But we need him next week to be firing. Rob Downey at #7. Should never have been out of it. Best player in the league for me at that position. He needs to cover Duggan. Another annoyance for me was the lack of usage of Daire O'L. Not sure if he was injured or not but he was certainly one of the best on that U20 team and deserved better since then I feel. Maybe too late for this year already unfortunately so I'd go with Eoin Downey, again on a short leash as he has yeat to fully convince, but he's earned a shot.

MF - assuming we play three there I'd go with Colemen, Ethan Twomey and one of Tommy or Roche (if his form has recovered). I'd give Tommy another go. He did a lot of tracking back and hooking/harrying/hassling yesterday that isn't glamorous and won't get headlines. But for the love of God keep him out of the half-back line for his own good. Hoping Mullins is fit and ready soon - he's a savage young player who I'd have in there as a sub for next week.

Forwards - Fitzy, Tim & if he's fit Dalton. If he isn't fit then Cunningham. Barrett & Connolly. Keep Connolly close to goals. He's John Fitzgibbon in disguise. Cracking player. Hope he stays fit from now on. Barrett has earned his place and took his chance very well yestreday. I'd have Robbie, Jack O and Hayes ready to come on.

Collins
O'Donoghue Cahalane Mellerick
Downey Joyce Downey
E Twomey Coleman O'Connell
O'Mahony Fitzgibbon Dalton/Cunningham
Barrett Connolly

Subs: Saunderson, Roche, N O'Leary, Mullins, Hayes, O'Flynn, O'Connor

Interested in fellas thougts. Not the usual 'ah delusional, Corkness, hurling snobs' bullshit. Actual proper reasoned thoughts on what you would change from mine?
I agree with a lot of what you said but I just can’t see Cunningham getting near the team unfortunately. Timing is everything and he missed so much of the league I can’t see him breaking in. Obviously very talented nobody’s disputing that but at the very best a spot on the bench. With the round robin you’d imagine not much training time to impress due to recovery sessions and tactical sessions.

Bang on about Duggan he’s a serious handful. I’d like to hear who you think will match up across board, I’m worried about next week I have to say.

Not sure on injuries as to who’s available and who’s not.

Only other issue I’d have with your selection would be that Barrett does his best work working between the lines. You’d be leaving Connolly isolated so perhaps Hayes in next to him.

I went back via Kilkenny and Cahir also, still took over an hour to get to the bridge into Kilkenny from Mount Sion, just over a kilometre I think.

Just in the before the Sunday Game started.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Crash Test Dummies
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

1st Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Not How When!

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼