The Munster Rugby Thread 2019/20

I heard it from a fella who was involved in Coaching one of the city clubs U20s, it was 5 or 6 years ago now. Very possible that it no longer happens but that is the story i heard.

Specifically that Paul O'Connell intervened on behalf of a LC student who was being asked to choose his CAO course wisely.

Very possible its just a yarn but it is what i heard.

Incidentally Heard similar enough about Ultan Dillane, this would have been in Anthony Foley's time so.what 10 years or so ago. When he was making waves at Tralee, Munster offered him an Academy contract and Connaght offered him a full Contract. He went with the sensible opion and Foley gave him the "have you no pride in the jersey" schtick, when all that was on the table was 12k or whatever it was at the time. that was from a relative who has been a Tralee club man for 50 years.

Maybe things are better now. I hope so

Again you're taking a punt with an academy contract.

I know a prop with a Cork club who turned one down as he felt he was going to make a far better living from getting a qualification and pursuing his chosen career than the off chance you make the breakthrough in the professional game.

Tbh fellas being somehow pressurised by Munster where to do their college courses sounds like an old wives tale. Certainly no one I know through the club game has said anything of the sort.

Paul O'Connell has nothing to do with Munster rugby.

Again you're taking a punt with an academy contract.

I know a prop with a Cork club who turned one down as he felt he was going to make a far better living from getting a qualification and pursuing his chosen career than the off chance you make the breakthrough in the professional game.

Tbh fellas being somehow pressurised by Munster where to do their college courses sounds like an old wives tale. Certainly no one I know through the club game has said anything of the sort.

Paul O'Connell has nothing to do with Munster rugby.
Yeah, personally, I got offered a small amount of money to play when in college, but the chances of making it are low and would have put getting a good degree at risk, so decided not to take it and play social rugby.

Munster Rugby are extremely well run and routinely punch above their weight in terms of the money behind French club rugby.

Amazing that you have fellas pontificating about this kind of stuff immediately after a loss 🙄

Do you mind if I ask where you've heard that from?

I know guys of 18 who have been offered contracts and turned them down as they just didnt view it as realistic that theyd make the break through. These would be fellas who have represented Ireland at underage grade.

Theres never been any 'pressure' to do a course in UL that I've heard of.
Horseshit. They're not even the 3rd best run team in Ireland.

The travel problem for the current Champions Cup is already pretty damned close to a disaster:

"the Bulls head to England in no less than eight different flights, as the squad split up amid the lack of seats for the trip.

The nightmare scenario sees some players fly overnight on British Airways, while others will go via Frankfurt, Paris, Doha, Dubai, Amsterdam, Zurich and even Birmingham to get to their training base in Northampton.

And the terrible travelling schedule has played havoc with their preparations, as the team tried their best to finalise their game plan before heading their separate ways on Tuesday afternoon and evening.

The travel chaos had a further knock on effect as the team will need to travel on eight different airlines back to South Africa, arriving late Monday in different spurts for their next Vodacom United Rugby Championship game against defending champions Munster.

The net effect is that the team can only train on Thursday in England and lose Monday as a training day on their way back."
“Two weeks ago we went to Leinster and it took us 28 hours to get to Dublin and 27 hours to get back. "

I guess Munster have a better chance against the Bulls now...

The World Club Cup thing should die as an idea though, I just don't see how it works logistically, environmentally, financially and physically.
And now it is a disaster and Munster don't have a better chance against the Bulls as they've sent a second string team for the quarter final against Northampton.

13 changes to their starting 15 vs the game against Lyon, only one of the starting pack against Lyon in the match day 23.

I think this might be the first time a team has deliberately decided not to properly context a quarter final knock out match in the european cup. Open to correction on that, but it's a sorry state of affairs.

All down to absolutely amateurish planning.

The question has to be asked, why is it that the lady boys cannot play this well when they have green jerseys on them ?
Remember all the slaps on the back Kearney got when he openly questioned the Munster players desire to play for Ireland.

Has he questioned the ghoys yet?

Jokes aside though, their defence was incredible yesterday. It has Nienabar all over it. LaR got their try from 4 leinster penalties in a row, they didn't get within an arse's roar of scoring before and after.

A Leinster - Toulouse final would be brilliant.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

King K

Clancys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼