Cork u20 Hurling 2024

He's a wanker who gets banned all the time. It's hard to get banned from here but he manages it regularly for being a nasty fucker. Imo the PROC is a lot better when his diatribe isn't clogging up half the threads.
Ah Poo, you’re better than that, I’m not saying we should all get along with everyone but that post seems very bitter and personal, just use the ignore button, it’s a great invention 🤣

Strong performance last night, worth the drive in shitty conditions. Organisation and structure is excellent, every lad knew what they were doing and how they were working the ball, keeper and full back were doing loads of talking to steer things at the back. This is a seriously well drilled team.

Physically / athletically they are impressive also, more pace than Waterford in lots of positions, Lyons powering out from 3 is a serious operator, Darragh O’Sullivan, Buckley, Cremin have loads of pace also.

Accuracy was another stand-out, I think the first 10 or 11 shots at goal all went over, I only had 3 wides counted 10 minutes into the second half. Buckley and Leahys shooting on another level. New lads did well. Both Killeagh minors are going to be great additions, and I was impressed with the half back line… the CB o’regan was given license to roam clearly and he’s very athletic. Tobin very good in the air, and tidy taking the ball out of trouble. Never created a proper goal chance all night which was disappointing, penalty wasn’t a good one either.

I’m like a broken record on Healy, but he’s like a 20 year old Harnedy but with the potential to be even better. Catches ball he has no right to catch. He might do a coaching session with the senior team on this - as we don’t have any lad as good as him at it. Got a superb point in the first half. Himself, Buckley, Lyons stood out a mile. Lyons wasn’t troubled by Patrick Fitz at all really. Tougher challenges ahead for sure, but there are some serious lads coming through.
Fair play for making the trip down in that weather. I watched the first half back, and I'd agree with a lot of what you say here. The shooting was good, though not quite as good as you suggest (Finn hit two wides, Leahy dropped one short and Cremin (I think) had a shot half-blocked early on). Apart from shooting, the handling and short/medium stick passing was very sharp in the first twenty minutes or so. Like you say, they look a well-drilled side.

In terms of assessing the performance, obviously the poverty of the opposition have to be taken into account. In addition, Cork had the wind in the first half, and Waterford struggled badly playing into it - they had an extra defender which allowed Cork to play with one as well (Darragh O'Sullivan), he hoovered up loose ball and was always available to take the pass coming out of defence. And when Cork's attack was not functioning particularly well in the first ten minutes, Waterford gave away four soft frees to let them build a nice cushion.

Beforehand I was a bit concerned by O'Regan at CB, and I think the jury is very much out on him - he picked up a stupid yellow card early on and seemed to be happier joining the attack than sitting back. I suppose we'll have a better test next week, given that Clare like to break at speed from the middle of the field. I'd like to see him further forward, perhaps in the HF line with Ben Walsh at 6.

I also wasn't sure how puck-outs would go. O'Sullivan's first two were lovely, low into space for the runner, but later in the half Cork were struggling on them as conditions worsened. I suppose the plan was to have Cremin drop back as another option, but again it's something to think about for the matches to come - they look to be short a go-to option like Cunningham (or Colin Walsh in some matches) last year.

No chance I'd say. The GAA left counties pick what age they wanted at club level just to shut them up I think. Can't see inter county following.
It’s up for discussion again at next years convention. It would have gone back to U18 nationally at a previous convention only the motion was very surprisingly defeated because the actual wording of the motion proposing to do that was supposedly full of problems. That failed motion was put forward by Cork!

Killyoursons

The touch, striking and accuracy was very good from Cork considering the conditions. Regarding centre-back Cork play short out from the back a lot anyway so it's unlikely we will see a guy sitting at 6, when Timmy Wilk returns isn't he likely to play corner-back with Darragh O'Sullivan coming back out to 6 and Oran O'Regan going up-field. If Oran stays centre-back are we likely to see Denis Cashman on the bench, I was surprised not to see Ollie McAdoo start in that corner last Friday night. He has more touch and is quicker than Cashman and is a year older & more suited to Ben's style but maybe the management decided one of the corner-backs should sit deeper and Cashman is bigger and stronger which is an asset closer to our goal. Surely Darragh, Oran or Timmy will be centre-back rather than labouring Ben Walsh as the youngest player on the team to anchor the defence.

I thought the mid-field laboured a little on Friday and Tadhg O'Connell is more suited to playing there than wing-forward. Peter O'Shea is now back from injury and he should have a serious say in selection here.

The selection with everyone fully fit would make for interesting viewing.

I was at the match in Dungarvan on Friday night. Firstly, I thought Waterford were poor, very poor. Cork looked good but will have a lot tougher tests ahead starting with Clare next Friday night.
Diarmuid Healy looks great at times when he catches the ball, runs and scores but seems to go missing for long spells during matches and comes very much in and out of games. William Buckley plays that loose half forward position brilliantly, has a great reading of the game and often pops up in space and scores.
The stand out player for me last Friday night was Jack Leahy. Cork were 6 or 7 points up in the first half before we knew it mainly due to Leahys accuracy from frees and 2 points from play. The result was never really in doubt after that and it looked like we were just going through the motions in the second half.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Crash Test Dummies
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

1st Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

King K

Clancys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼