Kyle Hayes - a good GAA man?

I think that sentencing in Ireland is generally too soft. I think he should have gotten 6 months jail time and the rest suspended.

I don't think that he got off lightly in comparison to other people charged with the same offence though. The sentence is pretty much standard.
He got a suspended sentence and 10 grand which he can easily pay off. That is not justice for what he did in my books tbh.

He got a suspended sentence and 10 grand which he can easily pay off. That is not justice for what he did in my books tbh.
Fair enough, I'm not arguing that it is. As I said, if I was sentencing him I would have jailed him.

My issue is this notion that somehow his hurling career meant that he got an easier go of it than another defendant would.

Fair enough, I'm not arguing that it is. As I said, if I was sentencing him I would have jailed him.

My issue is this notion that somehow his hurling career meant that he got an easier go of it than another defendant would.
Oh you are naive. I hope you're joking. Limerick gaa is parent to one of the most powerful men in Ireland

Oh you are naive. I hope you're joking. Limerick gaa is parent to one of the most powerful men in Ireland
I am neither naïve nor joking.

Explain to me how you think it worked?

Did JP bribe all the jury? If so, why didn't he bribe them to acquit Mr Hayes?

Did he bribe the Judge? If so, why would he have allowed a suspended sentence to hang over him.

Why would JP have bribed a judge and/or Jury in order to achieve the exact same outcome as any other defendant would have gotten?

I am neither naïve nor joking.

Explain to me how you think it worked?

Did JP bribe all the jury? If so, why didn't he bribe them to acquit Mr Hayes?

Did he bribe the Judge? If so, why would he have allowed a suspended sentence to hang over him.

Why would JP have bribed a judge and/or Jury in order to achieve the exact same outcome as any other defendant would have gotten?
No he probably didn't but just between him (JP) and Kyle Hayes being a high performing gaa man definitely influenced the decision. No bribes necessary.

Kyle Hayes if he was from say gurranabraher and wasn't a Limerick star hurler. He'd have gotten some jail for sure. I mean he soccer kicked a fella on the ground that is already dangerous enough

Have you never heard, he had a hard upbringing your honor, troubled childhood, etc.

Similarly someone from a more affluent area, he comes from a good family etc.

Seriously most people get off without a prison term and probably not even just for a first time offence.

How many times have people being apoplectic on here (probably you included) when they read about someone with hundreds of convictions getting off with a suspended sentence. These don't tend to be sportsmen and to counter your point usually come from deprived areas.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼