Cork Footballers

The big mistake has been building the team around a core of senior players who have been around for 10 years and whose basic skill sets are the same as they were back then, how a management team thought that half forward line was going to enable a team win at this
Level is beyond me, the use of the panel is abysmal, we are bringing on subs almost reluctantly and leaving fellas on who are cleary shot.
The basics of the team are way off, the kickout ‘strategy’ and playing runners as opposed to players who can run and kick is something that other counties did 10 years ago, cork football hasn’t been innovative ever imo.
It would be more preferable to see how the likes of Buckley, murphy, cashman, herlihy would get on rather then the current selection thst is clearly just wrong.
As things stand we are getting relegated with a relatively old team leaving the next man up, god help him with an even bigger job, and relegation is a certainty, as someone said leaving yesterday with the way this team are at the moment it is more likely they will end up with zero points as opposed to 6 or more.
What is the coach doing and how is he getting away with the kickout set up? How is this not being challenged at this stage by any senior player?
I don’t believe that Cavan or Louth have much better players than us, but they are more coherent and better coached.
This group have been supported to the hilt in terms of what an intercounty team need and it has produced nothing, this year is turning out almost exactly like the year after we
Got to the super 8s with McCarthy a few years ago and we have a lot of the same players involved.

Calmed down a bit after last night and read through this.

Cleary not ruthless enough to make changes when needed.
Selections have to be questioned (minus lads who are injured/being rested they can't play and sometimes not worth risking)
Kickouts not working full stop even after he's defended it, not sure how he can defend kick outs now.
Suggesting that we move Gaelic Football head quarters out to Clon is delusional, enough said there.

I saw another point that where would we be if Ricken was still there, I too believe there'd have been a short term loss (which too would have been criticised) before long term development. Ricken had started to drop some players from starting and in some scenarios completely off 26 to make way for young fellas yet Cleary has them back on the 26 or starting.
We've had some promising underage Minors/U21/U20 from about 2016 onwards, beating Kerry in Munster Finals, competing in Munster Finals, winning All-Ireland Finals and competing in All-Ireland finals. How were our lads able to beat the same players back then but can't now? I do believe it comes down the tactics and selections. Yes some players who were there were since dropped (some definitely questionable), others opted out due to not playing even tho better than fella picked ahead of them on 15 or 26 and we have lost players to travelling or other personal commitments.

I am still hopeful/positive as at this time last year if you told me we'd have made an All-Ireland Quarter Final and go further than the Hurlers I would have said give you head a wobble the hurlers have a better chance.
The Derry QF last year, the lads had 3 tough games spaced over about 17 days it wasn't a full 3 weeks.
Outside of injuries/knocks that lads played through the tactics that day didn't work either along with some questionable selections.
If we haven't learned from that or the last weeks while hopeful I also have a sense of worry.

Think this very valid now, clearys lack of developing players is coming back to bite us. His instance on playing athletic players with poor skills has been a major downfall for cork. How in the name of god is the best player in the cork championship for the best 5 years Stephen Sherlock not playing while fella like Eoghan macsweeney and Deane are picked ahead of him in the forwards. Cork football is going nowhere for now and it’s a bad sign.
3500 turned up yesterday. Stadium was like a graveyard. That’s an indication of where Cork football is!

Nobody can understand how a county with 40 clubs can beat one with 249 clubs.

Kerry have been doing this for years.

The problem is the club structure doesn't suit the inter-county one. It is not built to feed the inter-county team.
if you look at how all these "smaller" counties are now progressing they are building teams year after year and not with just a once in a generation "good crop of players"

How is this happening. Well you get a group of players (30-40) in a inter-county setup and training them, develop them and give them the best coaching.
There players go back to their clubs, and this affects the ordinary club players. They have it up their game to play with and against the "intercounty player".
With a small club county championships as say 40 clubs then every club is going to possibly be involved in this scenario.

And when an inter county players hangs up he boots, the chances of them going back into coaching with their is high, bringing all that inter-county experience with them raising the standards higher again.

If you then go and look at Kerry all their players are playing Senior football. Either with their club or Division. but the are all playing high level club championships and the next crop of players will most likely be seen in these divisional sides also.

But this trickle down information doesn't work in cork because we have other 250 clubs. With only 30 odd players going back to 250 clubs The information gets diluted and then the inter county players look like superstars when playing club football. The gap between the club and intercoutny level is far too big. And this can be seen by the years of poor performances in the Munster Club championships. And people will say what about this year - but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

And then these brings us to the next point

, cork football hasn’t been innovative ever imo.

We are definitely not innovative. We are just copy paste from other counties and hoping it works. We don't have a structure that suits our large size.
The current structure, maybe not designed to shrink club football, but will this is what will happen. You are only going to be selecting players who are playing Senior Football and possibly PIFC - I think there was only 2 players who are not playing in these grades from the game against Cavan.

This will achieve results but will cause problems in the future. A gap will open up possibly within the IAFC. And you will see a lot more transfers from clubs below this grade if any player wants to or believes he is good enough to play county. And we will see more trouble and strife at county board meetings causing even more distraction if that was possible.

The big mistake has been building the team around a core of senior players who have been around for 10 years and whose basic skill sets are the same as they were back then, how a management team thought that half forward line was going to enable a team win at this
Level is beyond me, the use of the panel is abysmal, we are bringing on subs almost reluctantly and leaving fellas on who are cleary shot.
The basics of the team are way off, the kickout ‘strategy’ and playing runners as opposed to players who can run and kick is something that other counties did 10 years ago, cork football hasn’t been innovative ever imo.
It would be more preferable to see how the likes of Buckley, murphy, cashman, herlihy would get on rather then the current selection thst is clearly just wrong.
As things stand we are getting relegated with a relatively old team leaving the next man up, god help him with an even bigger job, and relegation is a certainty, as someone said leaving yesterday with the way this team are at the moment it is more likely they will end up with zero points as opposed to 6 or more.
What is the coach doing and how is he getting away with the kickout set up? How is this not being challenged at this stage by any senior player?
I don’t believe that Cavan or Louth have much better players than us, but they are more coherent and better coached.
This group have been supported to the hilt in terms of what an intercounty team need and it has produced nothing, this year is turning out almost exactly like the year after we
Got to the super 8s with McCarthy a few years ago and we have a lot of the same players involved.
Can’t understand this either. It would be one thing sticking with a senior core of players who had consistently won things, and who we needed to stick with because of little underage success. Or if we were a county with a smaller number of GAA clubs and couldn’t really afford to experiment with different players.

Instead, we have more GAA clubs than all of Connacht combined and have had Cork teams winning All Ireland Minors, U20s and Sigersons in recent years. On top of that we have a senior group of players setting the culture who have been part of teams consistently losing to the likes of Louth, Tipperary, Clare and Cavan over the past 10 years.

John Cleary is a great football man and has given so much to the county over the years, and likewise the effort of the senior players can’t be questioned, but at what point do we say enough is enough? I’m not saying John Cleary should be moved on or that all experienced players should be moved on (although I think we’re pretty close to that point), but surely we shouldn’t be seeing a near identical Cork team playing Cavan the week after losing to Louth? Have the standards dropped that much that losing Louth is now acceptable and there are no repercussions.

Can’t understand this either. It would be one thing sticking with a senior core of players who had consistently won things, and who we needed to stick with because of little underage success. Or if we were a county with a smaller number of GAA clubs and couldn’t really afford to experiment with different players.

Instead, we have more GAA clubs than all of Connacht combined and have had Cork teams winning All Ireland Minors, U20s and Sigersons in recent years. On top of that we have a senior group of players setting the culture who have been part of teams consistently losing to the likes of Louth, Tipperary, Clare and Cavan over the past 10 years.

John Cleary is a great football man and has given so much to the county over the years, and likewise the effort of the senior players can’t be questioned, but at what point do we say enough is enough? I’m not saying John Cleary should be moved on or that all experienced players should be moved on (although I think we’re pretty close to that point), but surely we shouldn’t be seeing a near identical Cork team playing Cavan the week after losing to Louth? Have the standards dropped that much that losing Louth is now acceptable and there are no repercussions.
The only players that are replaced are the ones that are being given cameo appearances while all the established players,who should be shouldering most of the responsibility are not concerned about loosing their place
Unbelievable

Agree with your sentiments on Cleary, a better football man you couldn't find in the whole county but should he have gone to get John Fintan Daly as his coach instead of that fraud Walsh from Galway? Imo Cleary has this job ten years too late and the hole we are in now is because of the shocking previous managerial appointments. Cuthbert, Healy and McCarthy should never have got the job and we've lost a whole decade worth of development and tactical nouse because if it. After yesterday I'd be thinking maybe its time to go for an outside manager who might bring some different coaching and tactical ideas to the squad and maybe to Cork football as a whole. Because looking at it now there are very few if any coaches/managers in Cork who have this tactical knowhow....

Writing was on wall after the thrashing up in ballybofey.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼