Cork Hurlers - Part 2

For the Limerick game last year pat Ryan finally got his team right from the available resources. We gave Limerick one hell of a game, could have won and we were carried out on our shield.
That team should have been used as the basis for the team this year taking into account the current form of players, injuries and the addition of previously unavailable players.
The balance of that team was correct with a good mix ball players and grafters.
We all have great respect for lehane , hoggie, Tommy and indeed all the guys on the team/squad, however both Tommy and lehane did not make the team for our Limerick game last year and they should not have been on the starting team last Sunday.
Hoggie did score 1-14, 11 from frees against Limerick and maybe the case was made that he can turn it on in championship but clearly father time has caught up with him.
The grafters of Roche, Tim, and Dalton were excellent against limerick and have to be picked going forward.
Harnady, also a grafter also did well against Limerick and still has something to offer starting, add in Barrett and Connelly who are performing very well this year.
To now complete 8-15 that leaves 2 of
Coleman, Meade, Darragh and robbie.
To get the balance of the team right we can't be dropping any to the grafters to accommodate the above four but that is what seems to be happening.
I would be starting Darragh and robbie, with Coleman and Meade coming in when needed.
Meade does a lot of unseen work and has never let us down.
Coleman is a brilliant hurler one of the most skillful we have ever produced but if he makes the first 15 it just can't be at the expense of one of the grafters.

This year wont be over until we lose our 3rd game . Anyone bought tickets for Thurles yet.
Interestingly it is quite feasible for us to lose our first three games and still have a good shout at qualifying. Here's what needs to happen:
1. The two best teams in the country (Limerick & Clare) both beat two mediocre teams (Tipp & Deise).
2. Tipp beat Waterford & Cork beat Tipp.

Cork, Tipp & Waterford are all on two points so it comes down to scoring difference.
Not likely but I don't think it would be a massive shock if the results panned out like that.

The (rumoured) Cork team announcement vs Clare

1. Donal Og Cusack
2. Wayne Sherlock
3. Diarmuid O'Sullivan
4. John Horgan
5. Sean Og O'Hailpin
6. Ronan Curran
7. Brian Corcran
8. John Fenton
9. Mark Landers
10. Kevin Hennessy
11. Jimmy Barry Murphy
12. Tomas Mulcahy
13. Seanie O'leary
14. Ray Cummins
15. Christy Ring
Wayne Sherlock couldn’t even make the 2006 team for all Ireland against Kilkenny!

What's the deal with the form of certain players? We keep hearing and seeing that so and so is off form this year or not being picked when you expect them to kick on after last year.
Brian Roche, Luke Meade, Shane Kingston, Tim O'Mahony, Twomey on Sunday, Daire O'Leary, Jack O'Connor, Brian Hayes still questionable in his second season, even ROF since he has come back from injury struggles to impact like he used to.
I genuinely thought we'd be earning major dividends from the progression of these players this year and it doesn't seem to have happened.
You would wonder is it bad coaching or players being overlooked. A sign of good managers is that players get better under their mgmt and this doesn't seem to be happening.
Very good question, and you're right that good coaching can improve players. But it won't always be straightforward, and it can be hard to tell when it happens. Take Joyce - he's undoubtedly a better player than he was two years ago, but is that down to coaching with the Cork set-up, coaching at his club, or his own maturing as a player? Or take Sean Twomey - he was disappointing on Sunday, but you could argue that he wasn't used as well as he could have been, and his performances in the league against Clare and KK were imo his best at senior intercounty - so has he developed as a player through good coaching, or is he being held back by the muddled team selection?

Fwiw I think Hayes has improved this season, as has Barrett who is finally showing something like his U20 form at senior level (and management deserve sone credit for this, for showing faith in him). Brian Roche has not been as good, and it's hard to see exactly why.

One other thing which has been a bit disappointing about Ryan's management so far has been what looks like a lack of faith in certain younger players: E. Downey being dropped on Sunday, E. Roche not being given more games in the league and not making the 26, Power and S. Twomey getting so little championship game time last year, D. O'Leary scarcely getting a look in at all. I stress that this *looks like* a lack of faith, because it might be that these players just aren't performing consistently in training, or management might think they are not yet ready to shoulder the responsibility. But my own view is that Ryan has been a bit too conservative, and the result was an unbalanced team and a shortage of proven alternatives.

Strip away the sentiment and look at recent performances and you would not start Horgan or Lehane (or Kingston for that matter) next Sunday.
The key for me is blindly obvious and I’m far from expert…
Play natural forwards up front (Fitzgibbon)
Play natural defenders in the backs (which means no Mark Coleman or Tim O Mahony in 2-7)
Play a hard working warrior in midfield (Tommy O Connell)
Hopefully the team selection this week does not disappoint.

Strip away the sentiment and look at recent performances and you would not start Horgan or Lehane (or Kingston for that matter) next Sunday.
The key for me is blindly obvious and I’m far from expert…
Play natural forwards up front (Fitzgibbon)
Play natural defenders in the backs (which means no Mark Coleman or Tim O Mahony in 2-7)
Play a hard working warrior in midfield (Tommy O Connell)
Hopefully the team selection this week does not disappoint.
Spot on

We will win Sunday. Remove the emotion from this lads.

Think logically. What sports team can you best compare us to? The English football team with their golden generation back in the day of course.

Fans of grand delusion that think we can bate em all. Saying that our team will win it out. That we are the ones to knock the greats off their perch.

An awful first round will be followed by a ‘performance’ in the next game. Then the narrative. WE ARE BACK BABY, WE ARE BAAAAAACK. The usual suspects here saying they knew we were as good as any, they could feel it in their bones over the winter. They’ll say we were all to pessimistic after Waterford, and how dare anyone question if Lord Patrick has anything left to offer us. Damien Cahalane will be one of Corks all time great warriors and we finally know our best team.

Fast forward to being beaten by a score a man the next two days out. Sure at least we have the club championship. Followed by it’s a long winter lads. What do we think our best 15 is gonna be next year, I really feel like we will win it. I know we didn’t qualify last year and only won one game but we would have won the All Ireland had we have got out of Munster.

Bla bla bla. WE ARE CORK!
Nobody really says "we are Cork" ya dopy tool.
What you've described in your miserable post are bog standard human reactions to supporting a team.
Being down, being up, living in hope, thinking there's always another game to make things right, a new season, another chance etc etc
Eff all to do with being from Cork.
Most fans are deluded one way or the other, thankfully not all of em are dead inside like yourself.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Silence (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 4:30pm

More events ▼