Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Yes pr got the selection wrong
Yes pr got the switches/ subs wrong
yes the tactics and the inability to get the ball into the ff line was baffling.
That said Waterford are a very limited outfit and while getting any of the above wrong against any of the other teams would be fatal it should not have been against Waterford.
The big issue was the lack of fight and aggression. Essentially Waterford wanted this and we didn't as typified by the incident on the sideline where Darragh was pulled for over carrying.
He got a heavy hit in the head and went down, 3 Waterford players stood over him roaring at him, only harnady came to his aid. However it was half hearted and token, the Waterford number 9 continually pushed him away and in the end he meekly accepted it and walked away with Darragh still on the ground, it was at this moment I realised we were never going to win, the rest of the cork team just looking on.
Compare that with the reaction of the cork u20 team when the Clare sideline held on to the ball last week, every cork player went all in.
If we don't at the minimum have the same desire to win as the opposition, forget about it.
Watch as Cahalane gets sent off, I think it’s Fitz comes and says something to him and he bursts his hole laughing. This when we’re already without Joyce, I thought it was mental.
Waterford lads fist pumping all over the shop and our main full back laughing as he’s sent off.

I hate to say I told you so but,

The 3 auld biys in the forwards doing nothing all day, pace seriously lacking in all of them.
A lot of people here saying they earned their start but just didn’t perform. They did in my ball earn their place, loads of players in the league showed better than them, in truth almost all did.

We would regret not giving brion a better chance, Pa could do nothing about the goals today, that’s not what i’m on about but his distribution is way to high and slow, giving opposition backs ample time to get up and break it down no matter what the strategy is.

Mark coleman is being wasted at 7, was switched early on to midfield and played a lot better.

Management looked like they had only found out they were playing on friday night rather than a year ago, knew they would be playing a sweeper but said fuck it we’ll just lash out the 2018 team and they’ll figure it out themselves.

If I hear one more person complain about the fcuking ref I’ll have an aneurism, The ref is a variable that you CANNOT predict or factor in to game plan.

Next week we have to get more pace in the forward line, clear out the undropable OAP’s and give the banner hell.

Some on here are going with too many changes for clare, it’s far too late to throw our toys out of the pram.

Collins
O’Donoghue Cahalane E.Downey
Millerick Joyce R.Downey
Coleman O’Mahony O’Connell
Barrett Fitzy Dalton
Connolly O’Flynn

And just remember this too, Limerick should’ve been beaten by waterford in the first round last year as well… look how that turned out 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

TOM has to play. The management team need to swallow their pride and pick him. It’s about winning and his experience and ability to deliver good ball into the inside forward are needed against Clare.

Interesting to see that the call to drop Hoggie and Lehane and to a lesser extent Harnedy is now almost universal. We need to recognise that the future is the likes of Hayes, Connolly and Barrett.

I watched the match on telly, so I defer to everyone who was there in person.
Firstly I think changing 3 or 4 would be sensible, even if yesterday had gone well a 7 day turnaround for some players would be a challenge, but I imagine the selectors will only go for 2 max because they may be worried about appearances.
If the selectors are worried about appearances then we have bigger issues than I thought. Eoin Downey, Tim O Mahony, Deccie Dalton and Robbie O Flynn must start next Sunday if fit. Niall O Leary loves marking Tony Kelly so I’d start him too. We either have a strong panel or we don’t
For me Coleman looked tentative in his tackling, like a lot of our middle 8, he got himself into a position to make a tackle but didn't execute, he also got caught for the high ball (something i defended him for last week) which led to a goal, I wouldn't mind seeing him start from the bench next Sunday.
I keep repeating myself but mark is a super hurler but he lacks in the physical stakes. He got found out wing back and had to be moved to midfield where he improved dramatically. These issues are nothing new but some fellas don’t want to admit they were wrong. You on the other hand did so fair play to you
Robbie O'F didn't look to impact the game much, not sure he's full match fit
Robbie was sluggish but he was our third best foward yesterday despite that. The run out will do him good and once he’s fit to start he has to play
Tommy O, is being messed around like Tim O before him, he cant be expected to play wing back at intercounty, if I could give him 4 of 5 inches of height... he'd be a mixture of Byrne's and Hayes, he's got so much heart, let him in midfield or centre fwd.
Not a good look for the selectors that we had to move Tommy out of midfield, where he was working his conjones off, to accommodate another player who was struggling
Hoggy and Lehane have to be left out of the first 15, maybe lucky to make the 26.
Both shouldn’t start next Sunday and I’ll say the same about Seanus. In the cas eof
seamus and Hoggy their legs have gone and sad to say this but Conor just isn’t what we need at 11
We need size against Clare, so id be looking at bringing in Tim and Eoin Downey, Ger M needs a man marking plan on TK or O'Donnell or Rodgers.

Hopefully Dalton can start, and Kingston can come on.
We have to get the right team on the pitch for Clare, otherwise they will dominate us physically and we will struggle to stay in the game
Darragh Fitz looked like he played his best game in a while,
Darragh played well but he goes missing too much for a midfielder , let him cut loose at 11

but I wish we had a 25 yr old Bill Cooper to partner him in midfield.
We do, his name is Tommy O Connell, he has the heart of a lion

For what its worth here's my 15.

PC
ED DC SoD
GM CJ RD
DF ToC
DD SH ToM
SB AC BH
Good team, I’d keep Mark midfield, move Darragh to 11 and start Robbie inside with Connolly, they could be incredible together

What's the deal with the form of certain players? We keep hearing and seeing that so and so is off form this year or not being picked when you expect them to kick on after last year.

Brian Roche, Luke Meade, Shane Kingston, Tim O'Mahony, Twomey on Sunday, Daire O'Leary, Jack O'Connor, Brian Hayes still questionable in his second season, even ROF since he has come back from injury struggles to impact like he used to.

I genuinely thought we'd be earning major dividends from the progression of these players this year and it doesn't seem to have happened.

You would wonder is it bad coaching or players being overlooked. A sign of good managers is that players get better under their mgmt and this doesn't seem to be happening.

TOM has to play. The management team need to swallow their pride and pick him. It’s about winning and his experience and ability to deliver good ball into the inside forward are needed against Clare.

Interesting to see that the call to drop Hoggie and Lehane and to a lesser extent Harnedy is now almost universal. We need to recognise that the future is the likes of Hayes, Connolly and Barrett.
No, TOM doesn't "have" to play. Not saying he shouldn't play, but it's certainly not a non negotiable that he does.

Why have you latched on to some gossip about TOM to pedal a story that it's some internal dispute that's keeping him on the bench?

Why is it remotely intersesting that the "call to drop" H,H&L is almost universal?
It's entirely predictable that there's a social media amplified negativity towards them, and that anyone who doesn't fall into line will probably get dogs abuse for deviating from the "almost universal" belief.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Karaoke Pride Party

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼