Must.... Own....property....

I think the root cause of the problem lies elsewhere.

I'm convinced the problem is effectively a Brexit impact. This is the macroeconomic explainer for it:

Lot of finance and tech folks moving to Ireland driven by Brexit, lot of money chasing limited supply.
It's both man, FFG need to keep their electorate (over 40's thick cunts) happy, there is a "the ditch" podcast where they talk about Leo Varadkar retiring, and his legacy, they sum it up nicely.

NI is fucked now too, if you're earning £24k per year, then a gaff for £200,000 is unobtainable, what's worse, the gaff gets bought up by someone as a rental, which dries up demand, then you've no hope.

It's both man, FFG need to keep their electorate (over 40's thick cunts) happy, there is a "the ditch" podcast where they talk about Leo Varadkar retiring, and his legacy, they sum it up nicely.
The Ditch? :lol!::lol!:

paddy-cosgrave-resigns-as-ceo-of-websummit-v0-t9m7ow6c9rvb1.jpeg

Last edited:
So how would you solve it?
With all due respect HBB, and I don't know if I've argued with you before actually.

But you're so fucking wrong, it's frightening.

It started with Enda Kenny inviting Blackstone capital in, and regularly playing golf with their european CEO.

He got rewarded with a spot on a fund afterwards.

And they're still at it today, I've been a victim of this policy myself, as part of a mass eviction in Eden in Mahon.

I've seen the lives of my peers and friends ruined by this policy, a lot of them are pushing 40, or over, by the time they get keys to a home of their own. I know more than a handful of friends who can't have kids now, because it took them years longer to get a gaff together.

Imagine their retirement? Still paying down a gaff, only to hand a mortgage down to their kids, assuming they managed to pop one out.

The government are merely propping up rental prices, and essentially funding landlords, they needed to build houses 10 years ago, instead they threw a generation under the bus, and any claims of progress being made today are superficial, most are rent only blocs, most are in Dublin, and it's essentially siphoning money out of Ireland.

More than 65% of all rentals in Ireland today, are subsidised by the government, how is that not propping up rental prices?

And really, fuck all to show for it, a booming economy, with fuck all really built in that time, another wasted opportunity.

The Ditch? :lol!::lol!:

paddy-cosgrave-resigns-as-ceo-of-websummit-v0-t9m7ow6c9rvb1.jpeg
ah no, I know like, he's an absolute wanker.

But they have a few valid points.

It wouldn't be my go to like.

With all due respect HBB, and I don't know if I've argued with you before actually.

But you're so fucking wrong, it's frightening.

It started with Enda Kenny inviting Blackstone capital in, and regularly playing golf with their european CEO.

He got rewarded with a spot on a fund afterwards.

And they're still at it today, I've been a victim of this policy myself, as part of a mass eviction in Eden in Mahon.

I've seen the lives of my peers and friends ruined by this policy, a lot of them are pushing 40, or over, by the time they get keys to a home of their own. I know more than a handful of friends who can't have kids now, because it took them years longer to get a gaff together.

Imagine their retirement? Still paying down a gaff, only to hand a mortgage down to their kids, assuming they managed to pop one out.

The government are merely propping up rental prices, and essentially funding landlords, they needed to build houses 10 years ago, instead they threw a generation under the bus, and any claims of progress being made today are superficial, most are rent only blocs, most are in Dublin, and it's essentially siphoning money out of Ireland.

More than 65% of all rentals in Ireland today, are subsidised by the government, how is that not propping up rental prices?

And really, fuck all to show for it, a booming economy, with fuck all really built in that time, another wasted opportunity.

ah no, I know like, he's an absolute wanker.

But they have a few valid points.

It wouldn't be my go to like.

High property prices and funds and landlords coining it is a feature, not a bug, of government policies.

So how would you solve it?
(1)Admit theres a crisis and treat it as such. Releasing homeless figures on the last Friday of the month is scandalous.
If they released Covid figures on the last Friday of every month there'd have been uproar. Show some respect.
(2).They keep saying their plan is working.
Fucking prove it so. Have a monthly press conference showing precisely what the figures were last month, what the figures were this month.
Show us what worked/what didn't work.
Show us what the plan is for next month/next year/the next 5 years.
(3)Do live press conferences after each presentation.
Take questions from all media and the opposition.
Quit the spiel re"new mortgages drawn down "& other nonsense and tell us how many people moved into new homes.
(4)O Brien can no longer hide and lie.
He claims 32000 new builds in 2023 was the highest since records began.
2 seconds on Google and:
2005-85,597 new builds.
2006-88,419 new builds.
2007-78,027 new builds.
2008-51,724 new builds.
Either he is front and centre or bring in somebody new.
He's the housing minister during the worst housing crisis in the history of the state and he's never on tv.
(5)Bring in a no fault eviction ban.
In other countries, as long as you're paying the rent you cannot be evicted
We need more security of tenure.
Particularly during a national emergency.
(6)Have a rent freeze.
We currently have the highest rents in th history of the state and 65% of rents are being subsidised by the state.
That's absolutely ludicrous.
That's for a start.

He claims 32000 new builds in 2023 was the highest since records began.
2 seconds on Google and:
2005-85,597 new builds.
2006-88,419 new builds.
2007-78,027 new builds.
2008-51,724 new builds.
Ermmmmm............not sure but something might have happened to the global banking system and the unsustainable Irish property bubble back in 2008/2009 until 2014...?

There has been good progress in providing an increasing number of new homes built in Ireland.

Last year saw the highest number built since the economic crash and it took over 8 years to start building significant numbers of new homes again.

Still a long way to go to meet demand but the construction industry is currently working at full capacity.

1712737203167.png

Homelessness was not a thing when this government took over.
The figures were tiny.
In 2011 FG, in their manifesto, promised to eradicate homelessness by 2014.
Coveney promised by May 2017 that by July 2017 there'd be nobody in emergency accommodation.
We currently have 12,000 homeless.
4000 are children.
The figures are going in the right direction?
What fucking planet do you live on?
Fatty O Brien still refuses to debate the opposition live on tv during the worst housing crisis in the history of the state.
Completely unacceptable.
They release the homeless figures on the last Friday of each month, known as dump day in the media as it's a good time to hide bad news.
Hardly screams we're doing a great job does it?
What state was the economy in when they " took over " ?

You might be best advised to go to your doctor because you need to take some meds for your constant anger issues.

Ermmmmm............not sure but something might have happened to the global banking system and the unsustainable Irish property bubble back in 2008/2009 until 2014...?

There has been good progress in providing an increasing number of new homes built in Ireland.

Last year saw the highest number built since the economic crash and it took over 8 years to start building significant numbers of new homes again.

Still a long way to go to meet demand but the construction industry is currently working at full capacity.

View attachment 31511
Yes, but saying the "figures are the highest since records began" is a complete lie.
If he'll lie about something as basic as that, what else can you believe.
We still have a deficit in supply of 250,000 homes but policies remain the same.
If everyone in the country had a house today and a natural disaster occurred which meant we had a deficit in supply of 250,000 homes leaving you and your family homeless and I put up a stupid fcuking graph like the one you put up how would you feel?
How would you feel abiut keeping an open border policy during the worst housing crisis in the history of the state?

What state was the economy in when they " took over " ?

You might be best advised to go to your doctor because you need to take some meds for your constant anger issues.
So they didn't know the state the economy was in when they released their manifesto?
Coveney made his statement in 2017.
The Troika had long since left.
A 250,000 deficit in housing supply doesn't happen overnight.
Neither does 14000 homeless you idiot.
They keep bringing in refugees while we have Irish homeless dying on the streets.
That's down to 2008 too is it?
Who was in charge of the economy when the country went bankrupt again?
Anger issues.
You patronising cunt.
We have 14000 homeless, a tented village in our capital city and the government are playing musical chairs with the office of the Taoiseach.
Everyone is angry, or should be.

Yes, but saying the "figures are the highest since records began" is a complete lie.
If he'll lie about something as basic as that, what else can you believe.
We still have a deficit in supply of 250,000 homes but policies remain the same.
If everyone in the country had a house today and a natural disaster occurred which meant we had a deficit in supply of 250,000 homes leaving you and your family homeless and I put up a stupid fcuking graph like the one you put up how would you feel?
How would you feel abiut keeping an open border policy during the worst housing crisis in the history of the state?
The "stupid fcuking graph" is just plain reality.

People bought gold plated jacuzzis,apartments in Budapest and flew to New York for fun at weekends during the Celtic Tiger.

Ireland built too many houses in a banking/property bubble back in the start of the century.

Is that really the benchmark for now?

No.

The government's national strategy, there will be a record €5.1 billion capital investment in housing in 2024 - made up of €2.6 billion exchequer, €978 million Land Development Agency (LDA) and €1.5 billion Housing Finance Agency (HFA) funding so policies are not remaining the same. The total package is €7 billion.

We are in the E.U. and our borders are "open" so we all have the option of living,working,studying in 27 E.U. states.

We rely on immigration to fill roles that are vacant to keep the whole show on the road from health,hospitality and manufacturing etc. as we have full employment.

If you are unlucky to end up in I.C.U. you certainly will not be questioning where the surgeon or anesthetist came from as they try to keep you alive.

You yourself even suggested that all houses should cost only €200k so who will build these below cost homes and which bank would come up with the money to fund your latest daft idea?

Have you tried meditation?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Dance (12A) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼