Cork Hurlers - Part 2

A strong squad is great if players are injured or players not performing on the day. Nailing down the core 10-11 starters is needed if we're to have ambitions on an AI. PC, SOD, CJ, TOC, CL, SH, PH I count as having their positions. To win the 50 50 balls around the middle I think TOC has the drive needed to win that kind of the ball. DF and TOM have the same drive to win the 50 50 balls but haven't their places nailed

I think the argument that we don't have enough star players is a bit short sighted. The stars of Limerick, Kilkenny 06-12, us 99-05, take time to develop. Nobody would have called Gardiner, Curran, the O'Connors etc 'stars' when they started out. We probably questioned whether they had what it took.

Right now we have more potential stars than I've seen in 20 years. A lot of guys entering their second or third seasons this year that seem to be serious operators for such an early stage of their careers. Some lads riddled with injury might be ready to explode onto the scene. You just don't know. But there's no fucking way I'd be writing us off.
Good post.
Because of the physicality of hurling in the last six or seven years it takes longer for the majority of young players to get to the condition required. There are of course always exceptions like Ciaran Joyce but they are the exception rather than the rule.
The first batch of under 20 winners are 23 going 24 this year and obviously all the other winners are younger. We can see the Roches, TOC , Twomey and COC from 2020 looking more physically mature this year.
We know that Joyce, O Leary, Barrett and Connolly were also underage in 2021.

I don't expect any of the 2023 under 20 winners to be involved this year, maybe next year but more likely in 2026.

I think the argument that we don't have enough star players is a bit short sighted. The stars of Limerick, Kilkenny 06-12, us 99-05, take time to develop. Nobody would have called Gardiner, Curran, the O'Connors etc 'stars' when they started out. We probably questioned whether they had what it took.

Right now we have more potential stars than I've seen in 20 years. A lot of guys entering their second or third seasons this year that seem to be serious operators for such an early stage of their careers. Some lads riddled with injury might be ready to explode onto the scene. You just don't know. But there's no fucking way I'd be writing us off.
Such as? Our starting 6 forwards will likely include 3 lads over 30. With the exception of Joyce no players from the U20 sides of 20 and 21 had cemented their place in the team.

And as much as Joyce has been our best product of underage teams in many years he’s still not at the elite level.

Such as? Our starting 6 forwards will likely include 3 lads over 30. With the exception of Joyce no players from the U20 sides of 20 and 21 had cemented their place in the team.

And as much as Joyce has been our best product of underage teams in many years he’s still not at the elite level.
I don't like to name names as I think it just adds to the pressure. These guys are in their early 20s and, contrary to popular belief, it wouldn't at all surprise me if they end up on the net taking what we say far too seriously. It should be fairly obvious though. Look at all the names who have joined the panel over the past three years and are still on it. For me, there's only one who I would be almost positive doesn't have the ability to be more than a journeyman at this level and again, I won't name him.

I've no idea who the starting six forwards will be. I couldn't name a single player who's likely to start - not even Hoggy or Lehane.

Joyce isn't at the elite level ... yet.

I'm not sure we'll steamroll Offaly tomorrow either. The league is too hard to predict. They'll surely have seen us, Waterford, and Wexford as the only sides they had a chance of beating, so they may have eased up on heavy training. The reverse might be true for us. Look at their performance against KK. KK probably saw that as a game they'd win, and Offaly saw it the same way. That might be why they tired towards the end. Don't get me wrong, we need a serious performance from a lot of the lads named. And if we don't win fairly comforatbly, the absence of that performance will be a blow.

Ben was one of UCCs main men before they flogged the shit out of him
I see on the Echo that Cunningham played 40 minutes tonight for the Barrs v Eire Og in the league, scoring 3 points.

I'd very much like to see him named on the bench v Wexford next week with a view to playing 15/20 minutes at wing forward.

Very hard to see him play Munster championship without at least some league minutes behind him.

There are those who think we’ll walk it. Not saying they’re on here. Too many still have the ‘We are Cork’ attitude. If it ever meant something it sure as hell means shag all now.
Doubt if anyone thinks we’ll walk anything anymore. No all Ireland win since 2005, and suffered a humiliating defeat at hands of Limerick in 2021.

I see on the Echo that Cunningham played 40 minutes tonight for the Barrs v Eire Og in the league, scoring 3 points.

I'd very much like to see him named on the bench v Wexford next week with a view to playing 15/20 minutes at wing forward.

Very hard to see him play Munster championship without at least some league minutes behind him.
I agree Vlad but if he doesn’t get a run v Wexford but tears it up in training for the next month he can’t be ignored

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
I'm Grand Mam presents That's Showbiz
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

1st Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Ceili By The Lee

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 7:30pm

More events ▼