Cork Developments

The entire area of Victoria cross has been systematically destroyed with cheap high rise flats in varying states of poor external maintenance.

Its a shame as it used be a nice area.

View attachment 27168View attachment 27170

View attachment 27171

Its like some late 70s brutallist Eastern european cityscape.

Mank.
The entire area of Victoria cross has been systematically destroyed with cheap high rise flats in varying states of poor external maintenance.

Its a shame as it used be a nice area.

View attachment 27168View attachment 27170

View attachment 27171

Its like some late 70s brutallist Eastern european cityscape.

Mank.
I fully agree with you. Apart from the UCC block and other new one under construction on the Straight Road (the one I referred to) - all the other student apartment blocks in Victoria Cross area are hideous.

I don't mind the new ones but the beige one at the old Victoria Sawmills is an eyesore.

Its covered in mould and dirt. They don't maintain these properties. Just a total eyesore.

The red brick one with the centra is one cheap , nasty looking build.

The fact their footprint is to the very edge of the footpath makes them far more imposing. Had the planners insisted in keeping the builds in from the road more then they wouldn't jar so much with their surrounds.

Whatever about the hotel, the 10,000 sq ft of office space is an interesting one. Nationally, there's going to be a commercial property crash according to people like David McWilliams.

Office take up in Dublin is well down on previous years
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/20...office-take-up-rate-down-63-in-third-quarter/

In Cork Horgans Quay are looking for 450k a year for a big glass office and I heard recently from somebody with knowledge of it that there isn't sniff of interest. Building 10k sq ft of office space right now looks either bold or naive. More apartments might be a wiser move.

Saw hoarding around Debenhams over the weekend which is good to see. Seems to be some action there at long last.
Work well under way on the old Liam Ó Ruiséail's book shop on Oliver Plunkett Street. Here's Health going in there. Hopefully they'll respect the heritage of the facade and wont erect some God awful signage on it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼