2023 Senior A hurling

I have to say I'm conflicted by it. During the Kilmacud Crokes game I thought there should be a replay due to the fact the player was involved in the play as he was in the defence and by that was marking a player who could be free. In this sense I think the extra man didn't make a difference as he's bearley entered the pitch. But you can't judge the rules in the basis of whether an extra player makes a difference or not. The one argument I have though is that blarney got a point from a free that looked wide and a free from Roche at the end which definitely wasn't. So where do you draw the line. It's easy to say they'd 16 and demand a replay but do you look at every call of every game. Had Rovers got an extra man on in the first half for 30 seconds and it made a difference I don't think people would demand a replay

That's a fair summation.

A replay is a victory for the letter of the law moreso than the spirit.

There was a 4th official at the Duhallow and. Douglas game Sunday night also.

Not letting players on the pitch with out a slip and putting up the numbers on the board for the changes could have being doing more jobs I wasn’t aware of.

On the breaking of rules in question it doesn’t matter who’s fault it was or wasn’t if the rule has been infringed upon then there is a question to answered hence the Blarney appeal.

And going by the rule book, precedent and the evidence on hand a replay to me looks likely.

That's a fair summation.

A replay is a victory for the letter of the law moreso than the spirit.
I disagree with you Charlie.
A replay is no victory, but in practical terms at grassroots level from U6 up to senior county having the correct number on the field is a line that just can not be broken.
If there is any leniency shown on this then the dam will burst in my opinion.. putting 16 on the field or maybe 17/18 will become a tactic deployed in certain situations.
At the moment it’s probably the rule out of all the GAA that probably is adhered to most successfully across all the ages.
The rules are there and the solution appears clear. It will be interesting to see how CCB manage this.

I disagree with you Charlie.
A replay is no victory, but in practical terms at grassroots level from U6 up to senior county having the correct number on the field is a line that just can not be broken.
If there is any leniency shown on this then the dam will burst in my opinion.. putting 16 on the field or maybe 17/18 will become a tactic deployed in certain situations.
At the moment it’s probably the rule out of all the GAA that probably is adhered to most successfully across all the ages.
The rules are there and the solution appears clear. It will be interesting to see how CCB manage this.

Don't see that happening. It was a mistake, compounded by the officials not spotting it.

They can order a replay but in practical terms how much of an impact did it have on the games result?

There is precedent of this from the Kilmacud and Glen game and a replay was ordered then but Glen then opted out. I think they did that in order to prove a point but also make sure such a thing doesn’t happen again. Yet here we are. A replay will be awarded IMO.

Also anyone on about soft frees or potential wides given as points, those are mostly subjective decisions. This is very black and white. It’s also not about where the sub came on but where the man he was replacing was stationed. And did their positions mean some other player could join the crowd for the puck out? It influenced the outcome IMO, directly or indirectly and a replay is fair.

Don't see that happening. It was a mistake, compounded by the officials not spotting it.

They can order a replay but in practical terms how much of an impact did it have on the games result?
Of course it will happen unless the CCB are clinical in dealing with this.If there are no real consequences for playing additional players why wouldn’t it always happen?
The only question is whether the game is awarded to Blarney or is it a replay under the rules.
A team fielding 16 players makes that team “illegal” on the field of play. It’s not as you suggest whether fielding that illegal team impacted the result or not. That’s an irrelevant question.
The question for me that CCB have to deal with is whether the club that fielded 16 players remain in the competition or not. The best outcome for them is a replay.

Of course it will happen unless the CCB are clinical in dealing with this.If there are no real consequences for playing additional players why wouldn’t it always happen?
The only question is whether the game is awarded to Blarney or is it a replay under the rules.
A team fielding 16 players makes that team “illegal” on the field of play. It’s not as you suggest whether fielding that illegal team impacted the result or not. That’s an irrelevant question.
The question for me that CCB have to deal with is whether the club that fielded 16 players remain in the competition or not. The best outcome for them is a replay.

I thin you're overthinking it Jim. These are very much isolated incidents.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼