Teddy Mac RIP

The town end in Thurles, Hill 16, the canal end, The Blackrock end and the city end, anywhere where we gathered under a scoreboard and sang, he was our man on the field, when the parade was winding past the terrace he always raised a clenched fist to the Cork supporters gathered in the terrace because that's where he would have been. 'Eyes of blue....he's after you Teddy Mc, Teddy Mc'

I think it was in the wake of the 2021 hammering by limerick that Teddy had an article in the echo where he was scathing of the lack of fight, The article summed Teddy up, no hiding or blaming other factors, straight to the point.

Christ, didn't realise we were so close in age, a few weeks my younger. That makes sense and has brought back a memory that I had buried away from about 43 years ago! We were playing a hurling match up the Mon Field - the one by the actual school, not the old one up near Nashes/Knocka - and for some reason I was started in midfield (almost certainly with Dave Mac, my fellow Glen man) The ball was thrown in and I pulled on it only to give Teddy Mac a fierce whack on the foot. I remember at the time thinking, he'll bury me now in a few minutes, but tbf to him he never did. Probably didn't have to either, mind. That's like a different lifetime now. I know Teddy had some issues since but he was a decent sort at heart I believe. He'll be remembered for many a year for the famous Double in any case. May he rest in peace.

Awful news .Will always rem his display v Tipp in Killarney,'87
A great hurler,footballer.Grand lad to meet and chat.Rip Mo Chara

Christ, didn't realise we were so close in age, a few weeks my younger. That makes sense and has brought back a memory that I had buried away from about 43 years ago! We were playing a hurling match up the Mon Field - the one by the actual school, not the old one up near Nashes/Knocka - and for some reason I was started in midfield (almost certainly with Dave Mac, my fellow Glen man) The ball was thrown in and I pulled on it only to give Teddy Mac a fierce whack on the foot. I remember at the time thinking, he'll bury me now in a few minutes, but tbf to him he never did. Probably didn't have to either, mind. That's like a different lifetime now. I know Teddy had some issues since but he was a decent sort at heart I believe. He'll be remembered for many a year for the famous Double in any case. May he rest in peace.
Carmona. Was that the interclass games in the new mon field as we called it? He was in the M class. I didn't realise how good he was at the time because at that time Tony sull was the king. But once that group were gone Teddy was outstanding especially in 81 Harry final.
My vivid memory is of half time in 82 harty final against Flannans. The team came in after having been destroyed in the first time and he roared "come on" at his teammates as they entered the dressing room. He came out in the second half played centrefold And turned the game. It ended in a draw and they nearly won on the day. Replaying go as well but that halftime image always remained with me.
Dave Mac was a fine player too.!!
Rip Teddy. Thanks for the memories

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼