Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It’s very fair as they both knew the system in advance of the league. I don’t think we will go back to a top 6 and a bottom 6 in the league, with one up one down, even though that would solve a lot of issues. But then if Cork were relegated you’d be moaning we are only playing the likes of Westmeath Kildare Laois etc.

Personally I would go top 6 in div 1A, based on this years league that would be Cork, Tipp, Limerick, Kilkenny, Clare and Waterford with top 2 qualifying for semi finals, 3rd & 4th for quarter finals against top 2 in div1b, which would be made up of Wexford, Westmeath, Dublin, Antrim, Laois. and Offaly Kildare, Kerry, Down, Carlow etc would have something to aim for in getting up to div 1B
Galway?

Red My league system would be top 6 in Div.1 next 6 in Div 2 and Final between top 2 in Div.1 ,Bottom team to be relegated,Top team in DIV 2 to be promoted ans a playoff between 2nd last in DIV 1 and 2nd in DIV.2 for the 2nd position .

I think GAA needs to keep the solution simple - Divisions of 6 teams with 2 up / 2 down. Final for top 2 teams and promote it like the football gets – hurling league final weekend. Division 2 would include 3 strong teams plus 3 teams with ambitions of bridging the gap like Offaly, Kildare, Antrim, Westhmeath etc. Also ambitious Counties like Carlow, Kerry, Down etc would see making Div. 2 as a huge incentive. This format would save a week and if the GAA remove one of the break weeks, then the league and championship would be decoupled by another 2 weeks. Also think GAA should drop A&B naming’s to keep things simple.

It’s very fair as they both knew the system in advance of the league. I don’t think we will go back to a top 6 and a bottom 6 in the league, with one up one down, even though that would solve a lot of issues. But then if Cork were relegated you’d be moaning we are only playing the likes of Westmeath Kildare Laois etc.

Personally I would go top 6 in div 1A, based on this years league that would be Cork, Tipp, Limerick, Kilkenny, Clare and Waterford with top 2 qualifying for semi finals, 3rd & 4th for quarter finals against top 2 in div1b, which would be made up of Wexford, Westmeath, Dublin, Antrim, Laois. and Offaly Kildare, Kerry, Down, Carlow etc would have something to aim for in getting up to div 1B
32 counties play hurling (only 31 play football), so why can't the hurling league be structured like the football with four divisions of 8 teams each, two for promotion and relegation?

Red My league system would be top 6 in Div.1 next 6 in Div 2 and Final between top 2 in Div.1 ,Bottom team to be relegated,Top team in DIV 2 to be promoted ans a playoff between 2nd last in DIV 1 and 2nd in DIV.2 for the 2nd position .
I like it, the counties won’t though which is where the issue lies

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

29th Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! all players welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼