Cork Footballers

Travisbickle perhaps you might explain how the football strongold (your words) of West Cork have one AI club title. While Nemo and the Barrs have 10 between then. What excuse will you pull out this time?

Minstrel the lack of West Cork winning managers can be explained by the ABWC (Anyone But West Cork) city brigade calling the shots.

In addition, have a look at some of the city based posters on here (Barrs, Douglas etc) and ask yourself why they would be against a heavier input from the football stronghold of West Cork?

The answer is very unsettling. The majority of these people want Cork hurling as the only show in town and try and kill any chance of footballing success.

Just look at the way the Barrs poster above disrespects his own footballers. They want us to go the way of Kilkenny, Limerick etc and see football as a roadblock.
Excellent post Trav, point well made. Frank Murphy and his cronies instigated this mentality, clearly it is still deep rooted in the Cork hurling community. I often wonder how many All-Irelands a West Cork team would have won over the last 30. More than 1 you can be sure.

Agreed, I’d swear I’ve read more about the 2009 county final than I have about the actual Cork football team, thank Christ there’s an ignore button.
Fox is clearly amusing himself and my hat goes off to him for it....It's mildly entertaining that some of the city lads fall into his trap every time!!

However, this thread is meant for failed club footballers to wildly speculate about something they will never be a part of! So can we please get back to discussing the fortunes of the Cork senior footballers....

Fox is clearly amusing himself and my hat goes off to him for it....It's mildly entertaining that some of the city lads fall into his trap every time!!

However, this thread is meant for failed club footballers to wildly speculate about something they will never be a part of! So can we please get back to discussing the fortunes of the Cork senior footballers....
Certainly no “wumming†on my part although there’s no denying that some of my posts unintentionally draw the ire of certain city dwellers.

Trace back to how this most recent discussion started….a poster decided to rejoice 3 Clon players getting injured because it would somehow prove me wrong, despite it greatly hurting the Cork footballers prospects. Now tell me I’m the one derailing the topic….

There’s clearly a few posters on here obsessed with Clon, and it’s not just myself and Trav.

Oh I'm entertained ok. Even moreso that you think I'm a city lad.

Mind that trap!!

If you were told before the league that we'd finish below Louth you'd have assumed it was another complete disaster. But it's a top half finish which is where we were hoping to be, and should really have had a shot at promotion going into the last day. Getting a draw off Derry is great, but to be 8 points down at one stage against them is also a little ominous, and I doubt we'd see it pulled back if there was something on the line.

Biggest progress seems to be the handle we've gotten on conditioning and injuries, which has been a long standing crux. And with the champion format this year, we should have enough matches to show where we're really at and develop the team, and we can actually look forward to some competitive games against good teams without a pit in our stomach about how badly it could go.

If you were told before the league that we'd finish below Louth you'd have assumed it was another complete disaster. But it's a top half finish which is where we were hoping to be, and should really have had a shot at promotion going into the last day. Getting a draw off Derry is great, but to be 8 points down at one stage against them is also a little ominous, and I doubt we'd see it pulled back if there was something on the line.

Biggest progress seems to be the handle we've gotten on conditioning and injuries, which has been a long standing crux. And with the champion format this year, we should have enough matches to show where we're really at and develop the team, and we can actually look forward to some competitive games against good teams without a pit in our stomach about how badly it could go.
Not so sure on the injury front in front of the South Stand there must have been over 10 players in a group all injured at present, Flahive , Dan O Connell, Gore, Cathail O Mahony, David Buckley, Tadgh Corkery, Liam O Donovan , Maurice Shanley , Hurley, so all those if fit would be challenging.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Psychology And Literature: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 3pm

More events ▼