Old Cork Photos

Don't remember The Lansdowne but I remember The Cuban House very fondly. I'm guessing it took it's name from being a cigar emporium at one stage but when we were in Christians that was the local cake shop. I tasted my first ever custard slice in there and it was the start of a life-long love. None of yer cream sh*te either. Proper custard - the clue is in the name like!

Did you buy any custard slices from Willy's wife in the CBC canteen?

Come to think of it, Caesar used run the shop for a while. A notable employee of the CBC school shop was known other than Gary O'Flynn aka Dan o'Donovan (or whatever he's calling himself now) Rumour has it he was a very naughty boy while working in the shop.

We had Brother "Burt" Reynolds and Brother "Julius" Caesar.

Burt was sound but Caesar was dodgy.

I remember both.

Fairly sure Reynolds was the see you next tuesday disciplinarian that got jeans and combat jackets banned in the 1970s and strict adherence to the school uniform dress code imposed - though you could wear the grey pants and white shirt and tie would suffice, with or without grey jumper. There was no need for the blazer except on formal occasions. Nowadays they have to wear a blazer every day except gym day when it's the CBC tracksuit - another new expense. Think he was vice-Principle to "Dicey" at the time. Reynolds came back as Principle then in the 1980s I believe.

I thought Caesar was OK to be fair. There were no "stories" I recall about him unlike one or two of the other brothers and the particular lay teacher whose name is probably known to all

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

1st Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fireside Folk

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼