Your Mental Health

Aye, social media would have you thinking that everyone else is having a ball of a time, always on holiday, always at a party, always looking their best, always eating the best food etc etc. If you were depressed before looking at it, it would probably only make it worse.

But as the psychiatrist in one of the interviews I posted said, social media doesn't show you people waking with a hangover, or sick with a cold, or doing the ordinary things of life like shopping, or working a job you dont like to pay the bills etc.
I am forever saying that, behind every door there is a story at odds with all the lovely facebook photos,

Anyone over the age of 30 who takes notice of the self aggrandising crap some people put up on Instagram, Facebook etc needs to have a word with themselves imho.
I'd highly recommend Stolen Focus by Johann Hari.

I went on Facebook a few nights ago to check what was a notification I got by email. 40 minutes later I looked up, and had been reading a bunch of nonsense that would make the PROC look like Harvard University.

I'm somewhat aware of what these companies are doing but still find myself drawn in by them. As are lots of the people who created them.

I undubscribed to emails from them yesterday.

Same.

I think we're moving in the right direction with that. A player for Manchester United had been off sick for a while with mental health issues and got a very vocal welcome back when he came on tonight. I can remember Stan Collymore announcing to the world he had depression about 25 years ago and the world turned around and said "what have you got to be depressed about?", myself included.

I can also remember a family member going through depression about 20 years ago and not having a clue how to deal with it.

Kids should be taught in school as early as possible about emotions and how to deal with them. It's more important than anything from Maths to Science to History.

Yes, we're are sadly way behind with the amounts invested in our mental health services. The CAHMS backlog is shocking.
Thing is it’s very easy to label people as a down and out alcoholic or drug addict and throw them in the trash heap of society.

Question is why did they find the temporary answer in alcohol or drugs, usually an undiagnosed mental condition. After many years sober I discovered I had ADHD. Had services been there as a kid to find that out perhaps I could have saved myself a whole lot of pain from the bottle.

As you say Education of mental health needs big investment and will save money in the long term.

Thing is it’s very easy to label people as a down and out alcoholic or drug addict and throw them in the trash heap of society.

Question is why did they find the temporary answer in alcohol or drugs, usually an undiagnosed mental condition. After many years sober I discovered I had ADHD. Had services been there as a kid to find that out perhaps I could have saved myself a whole lot of pain from the bottle.

As you say Education of mental health needs big investment and will save money in the long term.
Agree 100%

The book The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson is pretty good for highlighting the nonsense of social media. Book is ok overall, the recent documentary version is only ok also.
I'd say it would be a good book or documentary to shove in front of a teenager or someone in their early twenties whom you are trying to make realise just how damaging social media is and how little notice we should take of it.

It's not too heavy and deals with it in a pretty basic way but the message is on point.

I've been through enough mental health stuff that thankfully, at this point, I can recognise it coming on. At least most of the time (the times I can't are scary enough.) Last bout of it I had I was feeling incredibly isolated, rang up my brother and just said, "I need to see you, sleep in your spare bedroom tonight, just be around people." The little shit happily had me over and only went out and bought rashers and sausages to put in the fridge for breakfast the next morning like he wasn't a disaster himself. Same thing with my other relations, said I was feeling unwell, so we queued up lots of long walks on the beach.

Strangely enough, when I saw my brother I didn't say to him, "I'm depressed." Just that I needed to be around people. I was explaining to him what I was going through and he said, seeing as he's been through it himself, "Ah yeah, sounds like a round of depression!" He was the person to put the word on it, like I was afraid to do it for myself. And because he was the one who'd been through similar, and was looking out for me, he was the one with the perspective to name it. It really helped a lot.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

15th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Danny O Leary

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼