Pubs reopening June 29th

I was more titilated by the fact that it was a care-worker that he did the dance with. I wouldn't mind being cared for in my dotage by such a broadminded care-worker 😇

You could always take up striping m8.
kots-straal.gif

The pub world has gone to shit..
haven’t been to the The Sportsman’s in Bandon Rd in a while..
said I’d drop in and have a pint before dropping into Jackies for some top class nosh.

No Sportsmans 😱
Instead Rosie Maddens. What the fuck..

A pub that usually heaved with salt of the earth characters replaced by a handful of hipsters discussing art.

A barmaid that looks like something from a manga cartoon and presents me with a 6 inch head on the pint.

But worse.. the greatest sports photos from Corks sporting yesteryear replaced by absolute shite.

Did covid destroy the Sportsman’s?

Old Cork is dead.. We have sold our souls to wankerism.

Rosie Maddison's.

I walk past this place nearly every evening on my way home work at about 1800hrs. There's never a soul inside the place.

Fair enough on a miserable Wednesday or whatever but on a Friday evening you'd expect a few bodies in the bar. By contrast Bradley's, Tom Barry's, The Gateway and Mok's are tipping away nicely at that hour. Even The Gallows has more customers.

Stuck the head in there last Saturday too. Same story - dead as a door nail - motored on.

It's a shame, and I'm biased slightly because I thought The Sportsman's was great , but I can't imagine that place will stay the course.

New research from the anti alcohol lobby in Canada now is classifying even two drinks a week as high risk to your health,

"The Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA) this week called for a substantial reduction in consumption, warning that seemingly moderate drinking poses a number of serious health risks, including cancer, heart disease and stroke.

The new guidelines, funded by Health Canada, represent a dramatic shift from previous recommendations issued in 2011, when Canadians were told that low-risk consumption meant no more than 10 drinks a week for women and 15 drinks a week for men.

“We wanted to simply to present the evidence to the Canadian public, so they could reflect on their drinking and make informed decisions,” said Peter Butt, a professor of family medicine at the University of Saskatchewan and a member of the panel that drafted the guidelines. “It’s fundamentally based on the right to know.”

In its measurements, the CCSA considers a standard drink to be a 12oz (355ml) serving of 5%-alcohol beer, a 5oz (148ml) glass of 12%-alcohol wine or a shot glass of 40% spirits."

Should pubs have to have higher insurance costs to cover the health risks that they expose their customers to?

Rosie Maddison's.

I walk past this place nearly every evening on my way home work at about 1800hrs. There's never a soul inside the place.

Fair enough on a miserable Wednesday or whatever but on a Friday evening you'd expect a few bodies in the bar. By contrast Bradley's, Tom Barry's, The Gateway and Mok's are tipping away nicely at that hour. Even The Gallows has more customers.

Stuck the head in there last Saturday too. Same story - dead as a door nail - motored on.

It's a shame, and I'm biased slightly because I thought The Sportsman's was great , but I can't imagine that place will stay the course.

Sounds like The Park (or whatever the new name for Ziggy's is) of Bandon Road.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Black Apple Bastards

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:30pm

More events ▼