Pubs that are no more in Cork

The Agora on MacCurtain St.

Pretty decent sandwiches and chips at lunch time, a nice late afternoon/early evening pint spot, and a fella from London running the place who brought in Stella as it's what he drank (back before it got its rep) and was selling it to young bucks as, "It's the same price but it's a percent stronger."

I'd say it was a trendy hipster place late at night before they really even existed. Ahead of its time.

Remember old roundy rough AF
Years back on a Sunday session that started out in Turners Cross, we ended up in Rumplestiltskins to try this new 12% beer they had. Mank but I was wasted. We headed for the Roundy. A friend carried me through Pana on his back, couldn't even hold onto his shoulders. Basically he held my legs around his waist as I hung upside down with my hands trailing the footpath. Wasn't even late so fuck knows what passers by must have thought. Anyhoo, I just about made myself presentable at the Roundy, and I got in. My good mate didn't. Not healthy for a few days after. I do remember a pool table though, which is always a sign of a rough house. ;)

Years back on a Sunday session that started out in Turners Cross, we ended up in Rumplestiltskins to try this new 12% beer they had. Mank but I was wasted. We headed for the Roundy. A friend carried me through Pana on his back, couldn't even hold onto his shoulders. Basically he held my legs around his waist as I hung upside down with my hands trailing the footpath. Wasn't even late so fuck knows what passers by must have thought. Anyhoo, I just about made myself presentable at the Roundy, and I got in. My good mate didn't. Not healthy for a few days after. I do remember a pool table though, which is always a sign of a rough house. ;)
Upstairs was full of ex cons owning the table, downstairs had elderly barflies Where was Rumpelstiltskin again vaguely remember it?

The Agora on MacCurtain St.

Pretty decent sandwiches and chips at lunch time, a nice late afternoon/early evening pint spot, and a fella from London running the place who brought in Stella as it's what he drank (back before it got its rep) and was selling it to young bucks as, "It's the same price but it's a percent stronger."

I'd say it was a trendy hipster place late at night before they really even existed. Ahead of its time.
Where was that and roughly what years circa, please? Was that the one with the sandwich menu, compile your own sandwiches

It's under new ownership now guys. It's one of Monty's string of pubs
He seems to be kitting out his pubs in a rustic look that wouldn't look out of place on a heritage trail. Imitation and flattery etc etc. A more relaxed vibe if you will and certainly not like the old ventures he ran. Even Reardens has relaxed its clientele policy by the looks of it.

Upstairs was full of ex cons owning the table, downstairs had elderly barflies Where was Rumpelstiltskin again vaguely remember it?
All I remembered was a pool table, which is impressive considering how fucked I was.

Rumples is now the Abbot Ale House but used to be The Devonshire Arms which I had a soft spot for as it was my late old man's local in town. Dennis the owner used to top my glasses of Coke with a dash of Guinness so I could feel like a man. Surprised I didn't develop asthma given the amount of time I spent in pubs as a child.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼