Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Clueless assessment of the player. Last year collins was outstanding and he saved Kelly’s shot that dragged us to an All Ireland final. People are stupid and don’t remember these instances. The team played poorly in the league final and championship on the grounds of Coleman at centre back and not Collins in goals. Once this changed cork improved. Nothing had to be sorted with Collins in goals. People on here are clueless. First I see Nash mentioned and then people calling for Collins head over one dropped ball. What forwards missed so many chances and we look to that instead of Collins. It doesn’t happen. Horgan would have been possibly better on frees. But he was terrible against Waterford in championship so that he got dropped in the first place. He wasn’t just dropped for no reason. People have very short memories. Why was kingston hitting frees in the first few rounds of the league and then shafted for Horgan and come championship it’s left to Lehane to take frees. If anything that is on the management. They fucked the team around all year and didn’t build up one player as the destined free taker and back him from the start of the year. That is the very management that don’t like people questioning them and what decisions they make. When have you ever heard cody or anyone in Kilkenny crying about what people are saying on the outside. It just doesn’t happen. Leaders don’t care what anyone else thinks of them. That’s something we lack. We need leaders on the line to lead and hurlers on the pitch to lead. We lack both for too long. Limerick and Kilkenny are in the all Ireland final with both in there team and management as highlighted. Pat ryan is a very good man. Let’s hope he puts it across it’s his way and his management is purely picked on what he wants. If holding someone from the current set up or starting again from scratch bringing through his own u20 selectors and coaches or whoever else. I wish to see an entire clear out and start fresh with Pat at the helm.

Last edited:
just wondering how many posters here were up in arms at Patrick Collins being named for the Galway game? The reactionary nature of a lot of posters is laughable. Patrick is a fine goalie but two things strike me

A goalie needs a permanent, or at least a regular, full back in front of him so they can grow a partnership that is as vital as any other. This year we had Cahalane, Downey and O’Leary all being rotated in and out of the position. Hopefully Daire O Leary will stay fit next year and nail down the no 3 jersey

I’m not sure what kind of goalkeeping coaching was being paracticed up to the waterford championship game but I suspect the majority of it was to do with possession and less so to do with the intricacies of goalkeeping. That needs to change

But Patrick should remain no 1 if he is the best man for the job, if someone better comes along great but until then he stays

Clueless assessment of the player. Last year collins was outstanding and he saved Kelly’s shot that dragged us to an All Ireland final. People are stupid and don’t remember these instances. The team played poorly in the league final and championship on the grounds of Coleman at centre back and not Collins in goals. Once this changed cork improved. Nothing had to be sorted with Collins in goals. People on here are clueless. First I see Nash mentioned and then people calling for Collins head over one dropped ball. What forwards missed so many chances and we look to that instead of Collins. It doesn’t happen. Horgan would have been possibly better on frees. But he was terrible against Waterford in championship so that he got dropped in the first place. He wasn’t just dropped for no reason. People have very short memories. Why was kingston hitting frees in the first few rounds of the league and then shafted for Horgan and come championship it’s left to Lehane to take frees. If anything that is on the management. They fucked the team around all year and didn’t build up one player as the destined free taker and back him from the start of the year. That is the very management that don’t like people questioning them and what decisions they make. When have you ever heard cody or anyone in Kilkenny crying about what people are saying on the outside. It just doesn’t happen. Leaders don’t care what anyone else thinks of them. That’s something we lack. We need leaders on the line to lead and hurlers on the pitch to lead. We lack both for too long. Limerick and Kilkenny are in the all Ireland final with both in there team and management as highlighted. Pat ryan is a very good man. Let’s hope he puts it across it’s his way and his management is purely picked on what he wants. If holding someone from the current set up or starting again from scratch bringing through his own u20 selectors and coaches or whoever else. I wish to see an entire clear out and start fresh with Pat at the helm.
Great post

To be fair it's not accurate to say , that he has "done nothing".
He's scored an immense amount for Fr O’Neills and was a key player with Imokilly when they won the county in 2019.
There's something about his style and character that stands out - I think many Cork people just want to see how he would fare if he stayed injury free and got another chance.
Thats Club Hurling. It just suggests you might be worth selecting
People are going on and on and on endlessly about him
its unfair pressure

Collins is barely adequate- we need to do better if we’re serious about wining the AI. He just doesn’t inspire confidence and is very slow/ponderous on the puck outs - not all his fault admittedly.

We had excellent goalkeepers in the past. Nash, Cusack, Cunningham so anything less is viewed as a failure. Patrick Collins didn’t inspire confidence, and that affects performance of the whole team.Kingston was very slow to change anything, but we have options now. Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny have star goalkeepers and we should aim for that level!
But that’s the keepers being judged at the end of their careers looking back. I seem to recall Cusack taking an awful lot of criticism in his earlier years. He also got beaten at a very tight angle by Eoin Kelly coming in on the endline in the 2004 Munster Final.
Nash got lots of criticism in his last few years for his puckouts. I’m too young to remember how Cunningham was regarded in the early days but goalkeeping was simpler then with nearly all long puck outs.

Eoin Murphy has been heavily criticised the last few years for his puck outs although he’s a brilliant shot stopper.
Nicky Quaid is highly rated now and the best in the game but that has only been in the last few years really that he’s getting that praise.
Most keepers seem to need time to fully settle into the position. That doesn’t mean Patrick shouldn’t be challenged but I think he did well enough last year to have the chance to correct the Galway performance next year.

We had excellent goalkeepers in the past. Nash, Cusack, Cunningham so anything less is viewed as a failure. Patrick Collins didn’t inspire confidence, and that affects performance of the whole team.Kingston was very slow to change anything, but we have options now. Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny have star goalkeepers and we should aim for that level!
you cant aim for a level with your goalkeeper.
You pick what you have, train them as well as you can then hope they are good enough

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 4pm

More events ▼