Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It's a pointless comparison because it is brief.

No idea, he has certainly have got Clare to a good place but I will wait and see at the end of the year. If we had played Clare after we decided to mix up our style, we would have beat them imo.

So in KK Cork had a manager who had us playing a style that saw us lose to an inferior(?) team. Said team are now in the AI semis and with a decent chance of making the final. Meanwhile we're reappointing KK in a defeated dressing room.

I didn't say anyone said it - I was pointing out that that notion exists.

As far as I am aware you're a Barr's man r&b. A club that is steeped in history in both codes with a massive tradition that has produced heroes for Cork down through the years. Yet from memory Barr's have not won a county in nearly 20 or so years. And I am only using them as an example not having a go, there is the idea abroad that certain clubs "know better", "have more clout" etc based on their traditional place in the annals of Cork hurling. Could just as easily be Glen or Sars etc.

My point being we need to get away from that and go purely from the point of view of what works - open docket - it shouldn't matter if it is a Newtown manager or a Barr's manager or a Glen manager - it should be about who can get Cork back to glory.

Considine has written 2 pieces and maybe more since we went out.
First one was KK has to go.
Second one yesterday was players can't have a say in management.

So to answer your question - look what happened when players were cut out of the management selection process last time - we had the strike. That was bad for EVERYONE. Those in place and those who went on strike. All because the idea that CCB dictates and players play was deemed to be the rule of the day. No one is suggesting the players pick the manager but they have to have a say. Considine saying is stirring the pot - a pot which rekindles a time where there was centralised control and what was in the best interests of Cork success came second. And THAT is what I meant - in so far as there can't be vested interests at a club level, there can't be at CCB level either - it simply won't bring us success.

I'm reminded of a lady I worked with who was good friends with Ger Mac at the time - I ended up on tv for 20 secs about the strike and the following day she read me the riot act about what I was doing and how dare I attack him and he is a Cork legend. She refused to speak to me for weeks afterwards and refused point blank to go to a Cork game while any of the strikers were involved either on the pitch or otherwise. And for the sake of it, the very first thing I said on the back of the truck was no one was anti Ger Mac or wanted rid of him or disrespected him or his contribution to Cork hurling, in fact when I was small we were neighbours with him.

Point being we need to leave the agendas, the vested interests, the score settling type stuff behind us.
Even on here over the last couple of weeks - Players on drugs, cosy cartels, closed shops..........like Cork hurling was a mafia and there was an omuerta that said if you don't go along you don't get along.

I have posted loads of times of the expertise on this forum alone. Yourself and junior f and others who while I might disagree with ye on bits and pieces - clearly have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the game. If you guys exist here among the 20 or 30 regulars in this thread - then the know how is definitely there in the county to get this right. But we won't do it if we stick to the usual, where if a person is appointed they're doomed before they begin, if b player is selected the season is over before a poc of a ball.

This year should mark a watershed in Cork hurling. You yerself has called for a clearing of the decks.
I don't think KK will be there next year. I think there is another ticket being prepared. I would think Pat Ryan and Wayne Sherlock and maybe Ben O'Connor would be good although per Soundy's post above clearly they would have no senior intercounty previous experience - maybe that isn't a bad thing - if we get a clear run without interference, with the support of all internally and from the supporter base.
PROCNA

That notion exists since time immorial and it is as much bullshit now as it was then and only comes from a small cohort who possibly have a dislike for the traditional clubs. I wouldn’t be saying it’s a big deal or anything. Personally I don’t care what club anyone comes from, if they have a part to play in making us successful then they have my support

Considine is right, the management should step down en bloc, and he said the players shouldn’t be involved in picking their manager and he’s right, just because he’s from another county doesn’t mean he can’t talk sense

When were players cut out of picking the manager? That’s the second time you’ve alluded to that

Not sure we should really debate the Gerald Mac thing all over again but suffice to say you were very naive thinking no one wanted him gone or no one disrespected him, the way that man was treated was sickening

Yeah myself and others might have a huge knowledge of cork hurling but that doesn’t make us better cork men or women than others, we are all the same and I respect anyones opinion once they are not on the wum. There are lots of great cork people just doing their bit in the shadows and long May that continue

Pat Ryan, Wayne Sherlock and Ben O Connor as coach would be my dream ticket. Imagine being a player walking into that dressing room? If they couldn’t inspire you then you have no business there. I hope we get them

So in KK Cork had a manager who had us playing a style that saw us lose to an inferior(?) team. Said team are now in the AI semis and with a decent chance of making the final. Meanwhile we're reappointing KK in a defeated dressing room.
I never said they were inferior, there isn't a whole pile between the top sides bar Limerick and anyone of them can beat each other. If we had played the same way against Clare that we did against Waterford and Tipp, we would have beat them imo.
Also I never said I wanted KK re-appointed.

I disagree. Two all ireland u20 teams, and a minor all ireland winning team are not an attractive prospect?

Hopefully there is long term potential there and I agree those are exciting teams but for now too much deadwood in the current squad and no immediate signs we can catch top dogs. Nothing to attract an outsider or a young up and comer to commit to a long term project. Just my opinion.

Hopefully there is long term potential there and I agree those are exciting teams but for now too much deadwood in the current squad and no immediate signs we can catch top dogs. Nothing to attract an outsider or a young up and comer to commit to a long term project. Just my opinion.

Who is the deadwood in the current squad?

The core that has been with us since roughly 2013 are slowly winding down, Harnedy, Horgan, Lehane etc. Unfair on my part to call them deadwood probably but change will be coming and those players will have to be replaced. Maybe I am too pessimistic but I don't see many immediate options for near term success.
Bar the Galway game, Lehane probably had one of his best seasons in a Cork Jersey. The Horgan one for me is a pure enigma, I would have hoped he'd retire after the AI last year but then I only watched the replay of the Galway few days ago and Cantwell asked Canning in the studio about Hoggy not starting and he couldn't keep the smile of his face, he knew that you can't win a championship match against your rivals without an excellent freetaker.
It's all well and good saying we have a replacement free takers but in actually fact we don't, at least one of his quality.

It's a pointless comparison because it is brief.

No idea, he has certainly have got Clare to a good place but I will wait and see at the end of the year. If we had played Clare after we decided to mix up our style, we would have beat them imo.
That last bit is pretty optimistic imo. Since we played Clare they have twice produced performances against Limerick that were a good bit better than anything Cork managed this season, and against far better opposition than anyone Cork played in the same period. Cork might have caught them on off-day had they met again, but on actual form Clare would have been clear favourites.

If TOT had asked that question 3 games ago the same name would be coming up here continuously yet as well as Joyce he was our best back over those last 3 games.

I don't think we are appointing him at all and in my opinion I don't think the offer has been made.
Not even the CCB would go into a dressing room after losing a QF and offer an extension then and there.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Silent Disco : All The Hits

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼