Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Bar 3 seasons Kieran Kingston has been on the line since 2012 as either selector,coach or manager. Peter keane was sacked by kerry after 3 seasons, two of which ended losing to eventual all ireland champion in a replay and the other in extra time. At that elite level its cut throat, Kingston strikes us as a pure gent but its a results business. Shefflin and Lohan are simply achieving far more in their 1 & 2 seasons in charge respectively, with less talent/ squad depth. Are the county board funds just not there to bring in an outside coach in the mould of an Eddie Brennan or would the cork public be against such a move?. From within, Ben or pat ryan look the preferred candidates. The County board need to act.

Last edited:
Bar 3 seasons Kieran Kingston has been on the line since 2012 as either selector,coach or manager. Peter keane was sacked by kerry after 3 seasons, two of which ended losing to eventual all ireland champion in a replay and the other in extra time. At that elite level its cut throat, Kingston strikes us as a pure gent but its a results business. Shefflin and Lohan are simply achieving far more in their 1 & 2 seasons in charge respectively, with less talent/ squad depth. Are the county board funds just not there to bring in an outside coach in the mould of an Eddie Brennan or would the cork public be against such a move?. From within, Ben or pat ryan look the preferred candidates. The County board need to act.

What have Lohan and Shefflin achieved?

I’m sure the player involved had a say in whether he played or not in all fairness

Lads could we lay off the witch hunt, Kieran has given a decade to cork hurling, ultimately he may not have been successful but he deserves a bit of respect

Respect is a two way street imho. KK did his best for Cork and for that he should be applauded. BUT even KK should know that he's not been good enough managing Cork. He's a nice guy who no doubt loves Cork, but imho (and it's only an opinion) he'll tarnish his reputation by staying on in the role he's shown twice now that he's clearly just not up to. No harm to the guy but he should be realistic and not try managing Cork for yet anther year as a vehicle to try improve his intercounty managerial career.

All the talk of KK getting offered another year by the County Board in the immediate wake of the failure to Galway made me check who exactly are the CCB Executive.

No harm to junior clubs and I'm sure all appointed are good GAA men with Cork at heart but I was kinda surprised at the current makeup of the CCB Executive tbh.

With the exception of Ballinora, I think they used to but not sure if they still play city division, doesn't seem to be any City division club rep on the executive.

Mark Sheehan - Aghabullogue
Pat Horgan - Middleton
Kevin O'Donovan - Kilmeen/Kilbree
Diarmuid Gowan - Fermoy
Francis Kenneally - Kanturk
Eoghan O'Connor - Erins Own
Noel O'Callaghan - Clonakilty
Richard Murphy - Lyre
Donal McSweeney - Ballinora
Jerry Walsh - Ballydesmond

All the talk of KK getting offered another year by the County Board in the immediate wake of the failure to Galway made me check who exactly are the CCB Executive.

No harm to junior clubs and I'm sure all appointed are good GAA men with Cork at heart but I was kinda surprised at the current makeup of the CCB Executive tbh.

With the exception of Ballinora, I think they used to but not sure if they still play city division, doesn't seem to be any City division club rep on the executive.

Pat Horgan - Middleton
Diarmuid Gowan - Fermoy
Richard Murphy - Lyre
Nobody from Beara or Carrigdhoun divisions either.... shocking.:rolleyes:

Not sure what your point is.

Nobody from Beara or Carrigdhoun divisions either.... shocking.:rolleyes:

Not sure what your point is.
Pat Horgan - Middleton
Diarmuid Gowan - Fermoy
Richard Murphy - Lyre

We are told that the County Board re-appointed Kingston as hurling manager for another year in the immediate wake of another defeat. It clearly wasn't a decision of the general CCB delegate membership so I think it a fair assumption that, if it was as reported and he was reappointed, that it was a decision of some or all of the County Board Executive.

With that in mind I checked out who constituted the Executive that decided the Senior Hurling Manager should be given another season in charge.

I didn't think that there were many clubs seen as bastions of Cork hurling in that group. Aghabulloge 100 years ago. Middleton yup. Kanturk latterly and Erins Own back in the day too. But Lyre, Ballydesmond, Clon?

Just struck me as being a very unusual decision to be arrived at so quickly tbh and was just trying to get my head around what could possibly have been the thinking behind it and by whom.

I didn't think that there were many clubs seen as bastions of Cork hurling in that group. Aghabulloge 100 years ago. Middleton yup. Kanturk latterly and Erins Own back in the day too. But Lyre, Ballydesmond, Clon?

Just struck me as being a very unusual decision to be arrived at so quickly tbh and was just trying to get my head around what could possibly have been the thinking behind it and by whom.
So there should only be hurling clubs represented on the executive? You know the positions are voted on? By the way our CEO who most likely made the decision is an out and out hurling man and hasn't much interest in football

I think these are two very different points.

100% a strange decision arrived at very quickly.

With regards to what club a fella is from and to how much weight his decision or opinion has is ridiculous.

How do you decide how long one of the "bastions of cork hurling" have been out of the winners circle? Take for example St Finbarrs as i'll assume you consider them as one of the "bastions". A club most would recognise for their history and the great players they've given Cork. No senior hurling title since 1993. Can a club only have a member on the executive if they've been winning recently?

Plenty of clueless people in the big city clubs, plenty of them in the small clubs too. The bigger clubs you could argue have a bigger membership so there's probably more fools in there. Maybe they're right going with Lyre, Ballydesmond and Clon. Less diluted perhaps.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼