Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I said during the winter that defeat to anyone bar Limerick in this years championship and we would have to deem the year a failure and so it was.

The game yesterday turned on so many little failings that have dogged us with a while but that have probably being overlooked given the major issues we have had regarding workrate and style of play in recent years.

I thought our workrate yesterday was still decent and the lads kept going to the bitter end. That's a marked difference from recent years when the team used just capitulate when things got tough. Our style of play still hasn't been properly ironed out. This is solely management's fault. The tippy tappy rubbish is so ingrained in our lads that even when going long you can see they are still not comfortable doing it. The sight of Tim and Connolly competing 5 on 2 or 2 on 1 inside yesterday after chasing a bad ball with support slow to arrive was very frustrating and indicative of a set up that still wasn't all reading of the same gameplan. Of course this should have been trialled during the league and wasn't and left us falling between 2 stools come campionship.

The first place to start is the first 10 seconds and that terrible mistake from Patrick Collins. Collins is a decent keeper but I'd be sceptical that he is of inter county standard. I and a few others here have been questioning having both Collins brothers on the panel going back since the start of last season. I think Patrick doesn't make enough saves and often makes wrong decisions when in possession. How many times was he hooked or blocked in this years league or championship? He got swallowed up down the pairc by Limerick and instead of handpassing or kicking the ball over the sideline he just overcarried it and conceded a free. I don't think he learns from mistakes. Both goals yesterday should have been comfortably stopped and the decision to lump a high ball down on Jack O’Connor at the end just beggar's belief but is in keeping with his questionable decision making. Also if Collins isn't making saves in games he's obviously not doing it in training which is probably giving our forward line a false sense of what it takes to beat a top quality goalkeeper. I hate being so critical of a guy who obviously gives so much time for the cause but it's a persistent problem for us.

I'd love to see Deccie Dalton get a trial in goal. How Cathal Hickey never got a run in there is beyond me but that ship has probably sailed now at his age. Davis might be worth a try. All I know is I'd like to see 2 keepers from outside the same household fighting for the position.

The next glaring issue yesterday was our wide count, misses goal chances and 2 balls off the post. This is another ongoing issue. We are consistently missing big chances. I wonder, in training was there so much time spent getting formation and style of play right that we neglected the basics of spending enough time on shooting? It's one thing hitting a bad wide under pressure but some of the misses yesterday an average club player would have scored them.

The final turning point for me yesterday was the play where Tim caught a massive ball layed it off to Jack O Connor who proceeds to take such a wide slow swing he could have been blocked from Loughrea, the ball then goes out for a Cork sideline where Naill O Leary rushes a sideline that gets cut out and Galway score from it and begin a little rally which ultimately finished us. That play, summed up the composure we are lacking.

The sideline didn't cover themselves in glory either. How Harnedy was left on that long while both Tim and Connolly were subbed was bizarre. Then we take off all our big men and still start hammering high ball into our small forwards.

For all those faults we were still only beaten by a point, although the game was of a poor standard overall I felt.

Special mention to Ciaran Joyce. Best player on the field in my opinion. I hope he is not overlooked when it comes to young hurler of the year. I know young Hayes from Clare, Butler from Kilkenny and O Neill from Limerick are going well but Joyce has been a colossus at center back. An absolute gem of a player.

Damien Cahalane, Robbie O Flynn, Luke Meade and Alan Cadogan (who I questioned here the other night and proved me wrong) were all very good I felt.

I'm hoping for a complete change of management in the coming month. Fingers crossed Pat Ryan is the new man in and he brings Wayne Sherlock with him. But who knows currently.
Absolutely brilliant post Vlad and sums up exactly where we’re at

One suggestion I don’t agree with though is Declan Dalton getting a go in goal, he hasn’t played there for his club in the last 10 years and I think he has to become the fulcrum of our attack. His treatment this year in particular was not a good reflection on management

Last edited:
I said during the winter that defeat to anyone bar Limerick in this years championship and we would have to deem the year a failure and so it was.

The game yesterday turned on so many little failings that have dogged us with a while but that have probably being overlooked given the major issues we have had regarding workrate and style of play in recent years.

I thought our workrate yesterday was still decent and the lads kept going to the bitter end. That's a marked difference from recent years when the team used just capitulate when things got tough. Our style of play still hasn't been properly ironed out. This is solely management's fault. The tippy tappy rubbish is so ingrained in our lads that even when going long you can see they are still not comfortable doing it. The sight of Tim and Connolly competing 5 on 2 or 2 on 1 inside yesterday after chasing a bad ball with support slow to arrive was very frustrating and indicative of a set up that still wasn't all reading of the same gameplan. Of course this should have been trialled during the league and wasn't and left us falling between 2 stools come campionship.

The first place to start is the first 10 seconds and that terrible mistake from Patrick Collins. Collins is a decent keeper but I'd be sceptical that he is of inter county standard. I and a few others here have been questioning having both Collins brothers on the panel going back since the start of last season. I think Patrick doesn't make enough saves and often makes wrong decisions when in possession. How many times was he hooked or blocked in this years league or championship? He got swallowed up down the pairc by Limerick and instead of handpassing or kicking the ball over the sideline he just overcarried it and conceded a free. I don't think he learns from mistakes. Both goals yesterday should have been comfortably stopped and the decision to lump a high ball down on Jack O’Connor at the end just beggar's belief but is in keeping with his questionable decision making. Also if Collins isn't making saves in games he's obviously not doing it in training which is probably giving our forward line a false sense of what it takes to beat a top quality goalkeeper. I hate being so critical of a guy who obviously gives so much time for the cause but it's a persistent problem for us.

I'd love to see Deccie Dalton get a trial in goal. How Cathal Hickey never got a run in there is beyond me but that ship has probably sailed now at his age. Davis might be worth a try. All I know is I'd like to see 2 keepers from outside the same household fighting for the position.

The next glaring issue yesterday was our wide count, misses goal chances and 2 balls off the post. This is another ongoing issue. We are consistently missing big chances. I wonder, in training was there so much time spent getting formation and style of play right that we neglected the basics of spending enough time on shooting? It's one thing hitting a bad wide under pressure but some of the misses yesterday an average club player would have scored them.

The final turning point for me yesterday was the play where Tim caught a massive ball layed it off to Jack O Connor who proceeds to take such a wide slow swing he could have been blocked from Loughrea, the ball then goes out for a Cork sideline where Naill O Leary rushes a sideline that gets cut out and Galway score from it and begin a little rally which ultimately finished us. That play, summed up the composure we are lacking.

The sideline didn't cover themselves in glory either. How Harnedy was left on that long while both Tim and Connolly were subbed was bizarre. Then we take off all our big men and still start hammering high ball into our small forwards.

For all those faults we were still only beaten by a point, although the game was of a poor standard overall I felt.

Special mention to Ciaran Joyce. Best player on the field in my opinion. I hope he is not overlooked when it comes to young hurler of the year. I know young Hayes from Clare, Butler from Kilkenny and O Neill from Limerick are going well but Joyce has been a colossus at center back. An absolute gem of a player.

Damien Cahalane, Robbie O Flynn, Luke Meade and Alan Cadogan (who I questioned here the other night and proved me wrong) were all very good I felt.

I'm hoping for a complete change of management in the coming month. Fingers crossed Pat Ryan is the new man in and he brings Wayne Sherlock with him. But who knows currently.
Very fair summary VTB.

More than anything else I think there needs to be a complete change in mindset about how this team plays it's hurling.

In the last couple of years we saw our successful under age teams play a simpler hard working game and I believe that is the thing that a new management structure would have to instil.

Some of the hurling we play at the moment can be breathtaking but it doesn't happen enough and when it isn't working we pay a heavy price. Our hurling is too complicated, too precise and just not working.

We have now quite a good panel of players where the first of the successful under 20 players are starting to make their mark. The challenge now is to build the team in a way to get the best out of these players going forward and certainly I do believe a new change of management is needed.

Not getting rid of him but next year I think Daire O Leary will be at 3, Joyce at 6, Coleman at 7 and O Donoghue at 4 and I think Ger Millerick will be a certain starter at either 2 or 5.

That will leave a lot of players chasing just one position.
Mark Coleman cannot be left at 7 if we are serious about winning an all ireland, a fabulous hurler but with very little defensive skills and he is ingrained in the tippy tappy style. Some of his passes again yesterday were suicidal

Try Coleman in midfield for sure but he needs to start playing the ball more forward than back/lateral. On one occasion yesterday we played 6 short tippy tappy passes between both 65s, ending up where we started after taking some very risky options. Playing a short pass to a teammate in a worse position or who is under serious pressure is never a good idea.

Mark Coleman cannot be left at 7 if we are serious about winning an all ireland, a fabulous hurler with very little defensive skills and he is ingrained in the tippy tappy style. Some of his passes again yesterday were suicidal
The problem you have with Mark is that we know he won't be in the full back line and we know he can't play centre back.

I don't think he can play midfield unless with a complete work horse of a player and I am not sure he have such a player, our midfield is struggling as it is with Meade and Fitzgibbon. I don't think he is a strong enough ball winner for the half forward line, so unless listed in the full forward line and allowed to play a free role in the middle of the pitch... where do you play him ?
Drop him ?

Certainly Coleman will have to start releasing the ball quicker as he more than anyone is overplayng the ball at the moment.

Mark Coleman cannot be left at 7 if we are serious about winning an all ireland, a fabulous hurler but with very little defensive skills and he is ingrained in the tippy tappy style. Some of his passes again yesterday were suicidal
Totally agree. Get him further up the field away from danger and let's see what he can do.

One player who I definitely think needs to be given some league time next year is Brian O'Sullivan, I've seen him play with Kanturk a lot the last couple of years as well as the Cork underage teams. He's not the tallest but he's a Hardy little bastard, I've seen him play wing back, midfield and in the half forward line and I've never seen him put a foot wrong. Was the shining light of the poor U20 campaign this year . He could free up Fitzgibbon to go into the half forward line, he could free up Coleman to go into midfield. He's a great on ball player and I think he would compliment a lot of the lads around his ability wise. If Pat Ryan gets the job then I'm confident he'll use Brian at some stage.

Might be no harm if everyone in the County gets our heads down from where it is stuck, and relishes that we are a 2nd tier Hurling county. We have to adopt to Hurling of 2022 not some dated ideas. Players from other Countries don't have any fear of Cork.. Some great hope for the future in our your players Joyce is just on. And Calalane what a true warrior he knows his short comings but he has Heart.

One player who I definitely think needs to be given some league time next year is Brian O'Sullivan, I've seen him play with Kanturk a lot the last couple of years as well as the Cork underage teams. He's not the tallest but he's a Hardy little bastard, I've seen him play wing back, midfield and in the half forward line and I've never seen him put a foot wrong. Was the shining light of the poor U20 campaign this year . He could free up Fitzgibbon to go into the half forward line, he could free up Coleman to go into midfield. He's a great on ball player and I think he would compliment a lot of the lads around his ability wise. If Pat Ryan gets the job then I'm confident he'll use Brian at some stage.
Might be wrong but was he not called up to the panel after the u20s were finished? Would be a good sign if so. Fine player and exactly the type of midfielder we're crying out for. Hopefully he can make the leap.

I agree. Also darragh flynn.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Sweet East (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼