Pubs reopening June 29th

Reduce the price of booze in offies so there's less pressure on the pubs.

I picked up a bottle of Stonewell in the Offie earlier for €4.50. I'm enjoying that now on the couch, shoes off, movie on, and chicken wings in the oven.

If I went to a pub I'd be paying over €7 for a Stonewell, probably over a tenner for wings, listening to someone else's choice of music, and surrounded by loud strangers.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but the appeal of pubs has seriously waned for me.

Went out with the Crispette over the weekend. Popped into a popular bar - ordered a pint (me) and a cocktail (not me). €18.50 - fair enough, I suppose.

About 15-20 minutes later, and with half of my beer gone, there's no sign of the cocktail appearing - the bar has about 8 or 10 punters in it. I've even been making my patented "I need service" face.

I note that the disinterested young fella who served me my sloppy pint is leaning against the counter so I wander down to him.

I mention that my wife is still waiting for her drink. He looks up to where she's sitting at the bar.

"Oh yeah, I can't make cocktails. I'm waiting on someone else to do it for me."

Went out with the Crispette over the weekend. Popped into a popular bar - ordered a pint (me) and a cocktail (not me). €18.50 - fair enough, I suppose.

About 15-20 minutes later, and with half of my beer gone, there's no sign of the cocktail appearing - the bar has about 8 or 10 punters in it. I've even been making my patented "I need service" face.

I note that the disinterested young fella who served me my sloppy pint is leaning against the counter so I wander down to him.

I mention that my wife is still waiting for her drink. He looks up to where she's sitting at the bar.

"Oh yeah, I can't make cocktails. I'm waiting on someone else to do it for me."

Sounds legit?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Niamh Bury

Old Oak, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼