Cork Footballers

Go back a few pages, you will read that incredibly we are in year 4 of the Co Boards 5 year football plan to achieve what you have spoken about among other things...🤷â€â™‚ï¸
Afaik there is only one player left playing on both u20 panels now. Forcing lads to pick one over the other doesn't help either particularly at this grade.

I feel there is an obvious issue at underage level. For example how can there only be one player from the City and East area's considered good enough for the u20 team? Some players are picked simply because of the clubs they are playing with. Thats not good enough in this day and age.

For the record I have no skin in the game. I go to club games and often wonder how some lads are not being considered. And those lads simply turn their backs on football for such reasons. At least the hurling lads seem to trawl through the whole county.

Go back a few pages, you will read that incredibly we are in year 4 of the Co Boards 5 year football plan to achieve what you have spoken about among other things...🤷â€â™‚ï¸
I think that any rational review of this plan would have to acknowledge that very little could be done for the last 2 years with Covid and this obviously has had an impact. Overall yes the county board is responsible and should be held accountable however they are the same cb that oversaw the appointment of ricken at u20 which was a success and Dwyer at minor which was a relative success. The senior set up has not been good and they were way too quick to extend McCarthy after the tipp Munster final, however they gave the same support to the footballers as the hurlers, getting cian O’Neill in an obvious example.
One area where there is an obvious failing is s and c and I wonder has this still been addressed? For example I note kerry currently have 1 long term injury in their entire squad, cork have about 15……if that isn’t being addressed we are fucked. For the plan it still needs some time to run…..a big issue with cork football is the lack of engagement by clubs with intercounty issues and the culture within cork football to blame others in particular hurling. There is no doubt the hurling man meself character is an odious creature and we have plenty of them but cork football isn’t failing because of him. Cork football has a weak mentality overall, where supporters and it seems players fall into a trap of feeling sorry for themselves, the culture in the senior set up for years post counihan was way off also…..the only people to resolve the problem with cork football are cork footballers and management

I think that any rational review of this plan would have to acknowledge that very little could be done for the last 2 years with Covid and this obviously has had an impact. Overall yes the county board is responsible and should be held accountable however they are the same cb that oversaw the appointment of ricken at u20 which was a success and Dwyer at minor which was a relative success. The senior set up has not been good and they were way too quick to extend McCarthy after the tipp Munster final, however they gave the same support to the footballers as the hurlers, getting cian O’Neill in an obvious example.
One area where there is an obvious failing is s and c and I wonder has this still been addressed? For example I note kerry currently have 1 long term injury in their entire squad, cork have about 15……if that isn’t being addressed we are fucked. For the plan it still needs some time to run…..a big issue with cork football is the lack of engagement by clubs with intercounty issues and the culture within cork football to blame others in particular hurling. There is no doubt the hurling man meself character is an odious creature and we have plenty of them but cork football isn’t failing because of him. Cork football has a weak mentality overall, where supporters and it seems players fall into a trap of feeling sorry for themselves, the culture in the senior set up for years post counihan was way off also…..the only people to resolve the problem with cork football are cork footballers and management
Going well until the last line, the Co Board et al with great fanfare said they would put the structures in place, bottom line is they haven't, 4 yrs in no defined pathway for players once out of under age football - what are they meant to do, go and source an S&C themselves to develop their physique and fitness to inter county level, every club team in the Country trained online for the last 2 years, surely during that time someone in Cork could have seen that that was an ideal opportunity to get a development squad running away in the background full of 20/21 year olds working on themselves telling them its prep for their chance to be ready to make Senior panel this year etc, how motivating would that have been at a very tricky time for them, lads would have bitten your hand off for it - atm it seems like we are driving along College Rd pulling fellas off the street, scandalous scenario - Buckley, Herlihy, Walsh, Merrit etc are physically not ready for this level, Buckley, who kicked 10pts in last years U20 Munster Final is out injured substantially already, has missed a month now - once a proper player development structure is in place then the buck will stop with the management & players 100% - atm it's not, so it cant.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Last edited:
Fair point on the pathway but the mentality in cork football in clubs and amongst supporters is weak and that is reflected in the team, hopefully that will show signs of improvement this weekend in tullamore. I would be hesitant to say anything regards S&c has improved with the current set up when you see the current injury list, and that is just not acceptable and a failure certainly of the board and management. The injury list is simply beyond casual explanation and backs of mcconvilles previous point on cork players and set ups not actually understanding what is required work wise to compete at the highest level in terms of players actively seeking out programmes, working in the off season, supports in place are or were obviously not there…..we’re not a serious football county for definite, we have accepted crap for 10 years and very little sign of improvement. There are structural cb issues and then there are issues around what should be the flagship team, last game of the season, squad together 4 months and no one could describe corks style of play

See Jack Cahalane has dropped football..I doubt if he ever will be back. He joins a long line. Two thoughts 1. Cork football needs its own identity and more branding about it and shouldn’t be shy about trying to get players to choose football 2. Maybe Cork is big enough to have competitive teams in both codes.

The lack of support for the footballers is something that has to be tackled and the attitude of some Imahurlingman crap should not be tolerated. Who was that said Cork has more clubs playing football than the whole of Connacht?
The problem isn't Jack Cahalane or people who prefer hurling. The very best of luck to them and I hope they and the Cork Hurling team are as successful as they can possibly be.

As somebody who supports both, but has more of a grá for football, I feel we should be maximizing the number of players we develop across both codes in Cork. And that should mean not flahing out the likes of Jack Cahalane mentally and physically underage playing both at top level for his age, and instead giving a development opportunity to another young player. So I'm glad that Jack picking one, will result in an opportunity for another player. And I think we'd do better if we did that with all county squads from u17 up.

Yes, I'm sorry to lose Jack from football as he looked like a fantastic footballer. But I feel we were ultimately going to lose him anyway, and I'd prefer to give the opportunity to somebody we'd be less likely to lose - though of course you can never be sure, and we're all volunteers in this pastime, players included. Best of luck to Jack at the hurling.

Fair point on the pathway but the mentality in cork football in clubs and amongst supporters is weak and that is reflected in the team, hopefully that will show signs of improvement this weekend in tullamore. I would be hesitant to say anything regards S&c has improved with the current set up when you see the current injury list, and that is just not acceptable and a failure certainly of the board and management. The injury list is simply beyond casual explanation and backs of mcconvilles previous point on cork players and set ups not actually understanding what is required work wise to compete at the highest level in terms of players actively seeking out programmes, working in the off season, supports in place are or were obviously not there…..we’re not a serious football county for definite, we have accepted crap for 10 years and very little sign of improvement
I know for a fact 8/9 years ago a presentation was made to the Co Board by a man outlining the need to run a development squad in the background of promising & committed 21/22 years olds on a regional basis in small groups, ensuring that their physical development was being catered for in preparedness for Senior Inter County football, then bring them in together as a group every 3rd or 4th week to play top club sides from around the country - he was waved away. Instead we got a booklet of fluff a few years later.

The former is how you build culture, find fellas willing to spend 12/18 months being trained and tutored outside of the panel in the hope of making it. No immediate glory, just quality coaching, using clubs facilities off peak and not be out of pocket - you'd have got any number of lads to back it financially, it would have cost shag all with a bit of thought.

Talking about 'Corkness' will only produce what we have atm.

Atm we have lads that same age saying thanks but no thanks to commencing a similiar training programme for next year because we have sabotaged it on ourselves, AGAIN.

Last edited:
I know for a fact 8/9 years ago a presentation was made to the Co Board by a man outlining the need to run a development squad in the background of promising & committed 21/22 years olds on a regional basis in small groups, ensuring that their physical development was being catered for in preparedness for Senior Inter County football, bring them in every few weeks to play top club sides from around the country - he was waved away.

That's how you build culture, find fellas willing to spend 12/18 months being trained and tutored outside of the panel in the hope of making it. No immediate glory, quality coaches and not out of pocket, you'd have got any number of lads to back it financially.

Atm we have lads that same age saying thanks but no thanks to commencing a similiar training programme.
I'd say you would struggle these days to find that sort of commitment, it's one thing t to commit to the senior panel when there is a chance you could play through the year, being part of a backup panel is a different kettle of fish, tbf to fellas, that's a huge ask.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼