Cork Footballers

C O Callaghan is one player that has improved a lot over the last few games,Walsh from Kanturk has potential and credit due to J Cleary for calling ashore B Hurley who was not at his best yesterday.
Great also to see so many ex players at the game yesterday.

C O Callaghan is one player that has improved a lot over the last few games,Walsh from Kanturk has potential and credit due to J Cleary for calling ashore B Hurley who was not at his best yesterday.
Ronan McCarthy was sitting in front of me. Fair play to him. He seemed a bit sore when the axe fell on him. Ricken does seem genuinely popular

Ciaran Sheehan had high praise for him in the examiner pod a few weeks back

There is but they won't play, they have retired in their late twenties. Ricken went with a youth policy because of the success in 2019 and the vast majority of those players are injured. An even bigger joke is that only about 5 of the 2019 AI minor winning team are available to this year's U-20 team, the rest are all injured and mostly long term. They can blame KOD, hurling all they want but I'd seriously look at what programmes trainers have set for players and how the players are being trained and coached at the sessions. KOD gave Ronan McCarthy another opportunity but it was similar for Kieran Kingston. The hurling management have selected 19 year olds on the team but they have proven their worth and have the skillset, there doesn't seem to be any such development of players from underage to senior in football. The hurlers also held on to the mainstay of their older players which is crucial.

Regarding next Sunday and the immediate future I believe it will take Brian Hayes some time to adjust and develop, although he's tall he is similar in physique to many of the current Cork players who are struggling. Hayes should have some part to play v Down. Brian Murphy of Nemo is a player that should have been introduced to the set up, he never played inter-county minor but played U-21 at 18 for Cork and is about 23/24 now.

Overall Thomas Clancy, Daniel O'Mahony, Sean Meehan and Sean Powter are all nailed on starters in defence if available and we have to realise that they are currently irreplacable but development of other players is paramount.

Interesting to look at trajectory of PA Campbell since off that 29 minor team. Clearly getting proper conditioning training as a full time academy member with munster but he has played European Cup game for Munster , started all the u20 six nations games and playing week in week out in AIL div 1. Conditioning and heap of games. The s and C is hugely important at that age

Great to see Mcsweeney get a chance today, very talented player. Maybe he should have been given a chance before today. The half forward line looks about as strong as it can be.
On a different note, does anyone know why Sam Ryan isn't on the panel? A good man marker and has played at this level before, I thought he was the best defender for the barrs against Kilcoo.

Great to see Mcsweeney get a chance today, very talented player. Maybe he should have been given a chance before today. The half forward line looks about as strong as it can be.
On a different note, does anyone know why Sam Ryan isn't on the panel? A good man marker and has played at this level before, I thought he was the best defender for the barrs against Kilcoo.
Ryan declined it when invited in I think

Yes and his best 2 games were against Clare and on Sunday. Both games he played midfield.Tired noticeably against Clare for last quarter but was a driving force towards end of game on Sunday

Supposedly refused to join the panel due to a falling out with Douglas lads. Billy Hennessy dropped out for the same reason. Brian Hayes sitting games out in solidarity.

As far as I know...

Brian Hayes picked up a strain on his hamstring.
Billy Hennessy is concentrating on club hurling.
Sam Ryan has very vaild personal reasons stopping him from comitting to Inter-County football at the moment.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders!

Cantys, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼