Sinn Fein are not a Normal Political Party

1647247611348.png
1647247625733.png

John Brady the Sinn Féin Spokesperson for Foreign Affairs.

Criticising sanctions against Russia because of Ukraine.

Standing in solidarity with Ukraine............

Just drop this here for the Shinnerbots.

Sinn Féin has deleted thousands of media statements that go back nearly two decades from its website in recent days, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

The purging of thousands of comments by party representatives, including leader Mary Lou McDonald and her predecessor Gerry Adams from its official website, comes amid controversy over Sinn Féin’s previous positions on Russia and its calls for the abolition of Nato.

According to the Wayback Machine, a digital archive of the world wide web, as recently as last December Sinn Féin had 2,729 pages of statements in the newsroom section of its website, the oldest being Mr Adams committing the party to the peace process in December 2002.
However, the newsroom section of the website, as of last Friday, has only 373 pages with the oldest statement being the Sinn Féin alternative budget announced by Pearse Doherty in October 2019. Statements from 2014 and 2018 that this newspaper accessed on the website within the last fortnight are no longer available and now return a ‘404 Page Not Found’ message.
This suggests that thousands of statements have now been systematically removed from the website by the party within the last two weeks. Sinn Féin did not respond to queries as to why this happened. Other political parties have online archives of press statements stretching back several years.
The deleted Sinn Féin statements can still be accessed through cached versions that can be searched on Google and through the Wayback Machine, but their removal from the main party website makes it harder for users to access them.
One statement that is no longer available on the website is comments from party leader Mary Lou McDonald in March 2018 describing then taoiseach Leo Varadkar’s decision to expel a Russian diplomat over the poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal in Salisbury, England, as “a flagrant disregard for Irish neutrality”.
In the statement on March 27, 2018, Ms McDonald demanded the evidence underpinning the decision. “In this case, a decision has been based on information from a foreign security intelligence service, which is an unprecedented step. Essentially, we are being asked to trust Boris Johnson. Dare I say that this might not be the best course of action?” she said.

The SUNDAY Independent can REVEAL something that guys here have been on about for much of last week. That's Irish "journalism" in a nut-shell.

Going back as far as 2002 even the EU's relationship with Moscow was naturally VERY different to what it is today. Kinda stupid of SF to try scrub all its online history of such tbh. It's not as though it can't be found and they're the only Irish political party that had dealings with Russia and Russain business in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Is that as classic example of whataboutery?

I think that depends on what you think whataboutery actually is. In what I wrote and what you deem whataboutery, I freely acknowledged the merit of what was written, and said that SF were silly to do what they did. I also pointed out that what SF did, far from being revealed by the Independent yesterday, it was being posted about here last week. And SF should have just owned what they'd posted about Russia over the last 20 odd years because they're not the only Irish political party to have cosied up to the Russians in those 20 years.

But if you think that's merely a "classic example of whataboutery" I think it speaks volumes about you. :cool:

I think that depends on what you think whataboutery actually is. In what I wrote and what you deem whataboutery, I freely acknowledged the merit of what was written, and said that SF were silly to do what they did. I also pointed out that what SF did, far from being revealed by the Independent yesterday, it was being posted about here last week. And SF should have just owned what they'd posted about Russia over the last 20 odd years because they're not the only Irish political party to have cosied up to the Russians in those 20 years.

But if you think that's merely a "classic example of whataboutery" I think it speaks volumes about you. :cool:

Thats the best you could come up with after a week of dodging the question?

Do you think its normal for a political party to scrub all the material on their website prior to 2019?
Why have they done this, if not to try and hide their pro Putin and anti-Nato pronouncements.

(Btw it was your good pal Mairia Cahill who first pointed this out online)

Thats the best you could come up with after a week of dodging the question?

Do you think its normal for a political party to scrub all the material on their website prior to 2019?
Why have they done this, if not to try and hide their pro Putin and anti-Nato pronouncements.

(Btw it was your good pal Mairia Cahill who first pointed this out online)

This will do Sound_Y's heart condition no good at all.

I think that depends on what you think whataboutery actually is. In what I wrote and what you deem whataboutery.

Erasing all your parties previous online support for brutal anti-democratic regimes while wrapping themselves in the flag of a free and sovereign nation that is fighting for its survival against a brutal dictatorship as it is the popular thing to do for political expediency?

I hope this helps?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼