Cork Footballers

This is a major rebuilding job and one that I’m happy that it’s Keith Ricken who is tasked with doing it. Most important thing is to avoid relegation this year. It’ll be 3/4 years before Cork will be competing with the Kerrys,dubs Tyrone etc. In particular we have to develop our forward play and steer away from being over reliant on Hurley. We have had very good underage players in the recent past that will take time to come through.These players don’t have the Donnachas or Gouldings or Kerrigans to ease the pressure on them,they are going to have to find their own way.The Cork sporting public need to get behind them. They wear the same jersey as the hurlers. On that note it was embarrassing and sickening to witness the Cork “supporters “ leave immediately at the end of the hurling game.
Anyone who left last night are not true Cork supporters embarrassing and sickening is what it is...

You are some man for the moronic, dramatic statements to be fair.
I agree with Cork1990, as a football man myself Id always support both codes especially if playing a double header. Do the footballers not do the same amount of training and give up the same amount of time as the hurlers? The fine weather "supporters" who leave before the football would want a good talking to. You can guarantee when the footballers were challengimg for All Irelands there were plenty of hurling supporters at those games aswell.

Is it any wonder football is the way it when people wouldnt even cheer on their own countymen. It stinks of the usual Cork hurling snobbery (where that comes from god only knows)

I agree with Cork1990, as a football man myself Id always support both codes especially if playing a double header. Do the footballers not do the same amount of training and give up the same amount of time as the hurlers? The fine weather "supporters" who leave before the football would want a good talking to. You can guarantee when the footballers were challengimg for All Irelands there were plenty of hurling supporters at those games aswell.

Is it any wonder football is the way it when people wouldnt even cheer on their own countymen. It stinks of the usual Cork hurling snobbery (where that comes from god only knows)
So to be a "true Cork supporter" you have sit through a football game, even though you dislike it of have no gra for it or don't even enjoy watching it? People how watch hurling only and enjoy, like and have a gra for the game, can't be a "true Cork supporter"?
Does this extend to watching camoige and ladies football as well, seeing as the sages here are dictating who are the "true Cork supporters"?

By the way, the hurling snobbery jibe says more about you, yourself.

This is a major rebuilding job and one that I’m happy that it’s Keith Ricken who is tasked with doing it. Most important thing is to avoid relegation this year. It’ll be 3/4 years before Cork will be competing with the Kerrys,dubs Tyrone etc. In particular we have to develop our forward play and steer away from being over reliant on Hurley. We have had very good underage players in the recent past that will take time to come through.These players don’t have the Donnachas or Gouldings or Kerrigans to ease the pressure on them,they are going to have to find their own way.The Cork sporting public need to get behind them. They wear the same jersey as the hurlers. On that note it was embarrassing and sickening to witness the Cork “supporters “ leave immediately at the end of the hurling game.
There were obviously afraid they'd miss the heavyweight clash of Kerry and Dublin on the telly.

On a serious note through I cant understand why you'd pay into a double header and only watch one game? Is it any wonder why the footballers are where they are when their own countymen wont support them? It beggars belief everytime I see it happening, its not like the hurlers are winning All Irelands every year or anything

I'd be more a football supporter than a hurling supporter. More Cork people support the hurling team than support the football team, and complaining about those supporters achieves nothing. (aside: I wasn't there myself so a charge could as fairly be leveled against me)

I've no doubt that the Cork Footballers would love more support, and would likely thrive from it. Thank the supporters we have, and tell the others that we'd love to have ye supporting us too & leave it at that.

In the short term, there does need to be a change at administration level. Why organize a double-header like this when it's entirely predictable that a very significant portion of the Cork crowd will be walking out in advance of the football match, and a portion of who remain will actually be relatively indifferent to the result? It really rubs it in. I think men's/women's football double headers should be tried. The same problem might occur, but it might not, so it seems at least worth trying.

Lads this isn’t a new debate. Usually the hurlers play after the footballers which makes the crowd issue less noticeable as it is strange to see people leave before or in the middle of the second game. But the footballers have always been second fiddle for support, even back when the footballers were doing far better than the hurlers. It isn’t a reflection on the current bunch. It has just always been the way. It’s the same in all counties pretty much. One code gets more than the other.

With regards the keeper situation, we are currently as easy team to target with Martin in goal as he cannot kick the ball long. Teams will push up when they know he can’t kick it over them in the same way someone like Beggan or Morgan would. It makes it hard for us to get out and doesn’t allow for variation. White is a big loss in this regard and he could also have been used as a passing option when we had the ball in defence trying to work it out. He did that quite well for Clon and it added an extra dimension to their game. Martin can’t do this either.

Draw was actually a decent result but even saying that shows how far we’ve fallen to say a draw at home to Clare is a decent result.

Lads this isn’t a new debate. Usually the hurlers play after the footballers which makes the crowd issue less noticeable as it is strange to see people leave before or in the middle of the second game. But the footballers have always been second fiddle for support, even back when the footballers were doing far better than the hurlers. It isn’t a reflection on the current bunch. It has just always been the way. It’s the same in all counties pretty much. One code gets more than the other.

With regards the keeper situation, we are currently as easy team to target with Martin in goal as he cannot kick the ball long. Teams will push up when they know he can’t kick it over them in the same way someone like Beggan or Morgan would. It makes it hard for us to get out and doesn’t allow for variation. White is a big loss in this regard and he could also have been used as a passing option when we had the ball in defence trying to work it out. He did that quite well for Clon and it added an extra dimension to their game. Martin can’t do this either.

Draw was actually a decent result but even saying that shows how far we’ve fallen to say a draw at home to Clare is a decent result.
That Clare side are much more settled and to be fair to Colm Collins he has them playing some decent stuff.

Agree on the keeper situation, surely we have a keeper with a better kickout than Martin. White is a massive loss with his distance and accuracy. Is Kelly's kickout any better than Martin's, havent seen much of him playing so cant judge him on that.

The backs look to be settling down and hopefully with the additions of Meehan and Sam Ryan coming back in that'll strengthen us up, our forward line is the bigger issue. We seem to have an awful amount of similar type forwards, fast, small who like to playing a running game rather than kick it into space and feed off a target man. Hopefully getting Sherlock back in will take the burden off Hurley but other than those twoat the minute I couldnt tell you who'll start in the other four spots the next day out

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brógeal

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼