The Hunger RTE

Great production.....and this one goes out especially to those who bitch about RTE.

Credit where credit is due:

‘The Hunger’ – the story of the Irish Famine - is a co-production of UCC, RTÉ, and ARTE, the European Culture Channel. Directed by Ruán Magan and produced by Tyrone Productions and Create One, it is narrated by Liam Neeson.

RTÉ on their own would have made a hames of it. Also, too many drone shots for my liking.

7/10

If it was just the potatoes that were affected, at the end of the day, you will pay the price if you are a fussy eater. If they could afford to emigrate, then they could afford to eat in a modest restaurant.

Aren't you ascribing modern standards to past conditions here? It wasn't a cruise it was in the hold of a coffin ship that many rolled the dice. Haven't seen the second episode but I doubt there were many restaurants on the go where for the price of the trip in a boat one could have sustained themselves through the famine in a moderate restaurant.
To suggest the devastation caused was down to "fussy eating" has brought your self-loathing to a new low. You must be sow proud of yourself 😔

Aren't you ascribing modern standards to past conditions here? It wasn't a cruise it was in the hold of a coffin ship that many rolled the dice. Haven't seen the second episode but I doubt there were many restaurants on the go where for the price of the trip in a boat one could have sustained themselves through the famine in a moderate restaurant.
To suggest the devastation caused was down to "fussy eating" has brought your self-loathing to a new low. You must be sow proud of yourself 😔

Jesus wept, does everything fly straight over your head.

It's an excellent programme. I enjoyed how they set the context and spent some time depicting what life was like for various classes of people at the time.

One of the things that stood out was how people described the countryside as noisy because it was so heavily populated. Mad to think of it like that now.

Some of the stories like the woman in Skibb who couldn't find anyone to bury her dead kids was horrendous. The doctor visiting the hovel and seeing the dead bodies all over the place.

There's some balance to how the Brits reacted as well. It looked like a small but powerful cadre of Tory cunts who stopped the aid. The soup kitchens were very positive and then suddenly stopped ensuring thousands of deaths.

A-haaaaa

You are replying to a post based on an Alan Partridge skit.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom McRae
Wavelength (Cyprus Ave Rooftop)

3rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼