Banking Scams

SoundMan

I like to think I'm cute enough not to be taken in by scams - who doesn't - but I must admit I was recently taken in by one.

I had an issue with a Bosch washing machine and I wanted to check error codes and typical faults in my model on-line to see if there was something I could do rather than have to call in a repair guy.

So I went on line to the official site, submitted a question and was directed to what looked a kosher site dealing with various issues which asked for card details for a refundable 1 Euro fully refundable deposit to go with my question. Unusual I know but as I say, the site looked very good, proper logos, directed to from Bosch site, none of your usual mis-spelling or bad grammar etc.

Anyways, I alas found no resolution to my issue and had the repair guy have to come on site.

I thought no more about it until I tried to use my debit card and was told it was suspended. AIB noticed "unusual activity" on the card. I'd no idea how the scammers had access but the very helpful AIB guy on the phone asked a series of questions and eventually hit upon the "sign up a refundable amount to answer a technical question" type. And I remembered the repair a couple of months previously.

Now I know people will ask why the f**k I wasn't checking my online bank statements more regularly - I wasn't. And I suspect there are others out there who mightn't be either.

Yesterday I was trying to get information on trouble I was having with my home internet with Eir and lo and behold I was directed from the Eir Official Site to a page that was asking for my card details for fully refundable 5€. So it's obviously widespread and still going on.

Apologies for being longwinded on this lads and lassies, and I know I should have been more careful BUT

DO NOT sign up for "refundable" charge for any technical queries online, no matter whether directed there from the Official company site, and no matter how official the request looks.

REGULARLY CHECK your bank statements for deductions that you don't recognise.

It may help stop you or yours getting scammed. Getting the money back is a pain in the @rse at the moment but I will get it eventually according to the bank.

So Bosch and Eircom official sites are redirecting to phishing websites? Report it to them.
In future, look for the padlock in the address bar and use PayPal. If PayPal isn't accepted, try another site.

Got a text a few weeks ago telling me that my AIB account has been suspended due to unusual activity. Itnleft a link to go to, fix the account.

I don’t bank with AIB.

Funny thing is, I got the same text from TSB about six hours later.

Reported it to TSB and deleted both without clicking links.

Another scam is 'identity impersonation'. I have had three credit cards and a current account open in my name and fortunately I have been able to stop any transactions. I got an alert on my phone.

On two occasions I asked two banks to give me the info, i.e contact number and email associated with the applicant and the said they couldn't give me the info because of GDPR!!! This after I bringing a credit card and PIN to the bank saying I didn't apply. I was also told they don't open bank accounts (in this particular bank) in brank but online only!! Talk about encourgaging the cnuts.
It would appear my post was being 'intercepted'. When the culprit couldn't get his/her hands on the post, a letter came from the post office asking if I could confirm that the application of relocating my mail.
Be careful as witha lockdown etc and online buying the scammers are flat out.
Sorry for the long post.

It may help stop you or yours getting scammed. Getting the money back is a pain in the @rse at the moment but I will get it eventually according to the bank.

Very naïve of you Soundy! Just have to be ultra-careful.

Don't worry though - pm me if any issues with getting the money back. Expecting a million quid any day now from this Nigerian lad that I helped out of a bind!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Laugh Gaff Comedy

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼