Banking Scams

Yeah, I don't open unsolicited links. And when I get a call from a Service Provider (or someone claiming to be from one) I don't give them the details on their usual spiel

"Just to confirm that we are dealing with the account holder can you confirm some details for us".

I usually ask them for a phone-number where I can phone them as I've no idea that they are who they claim to be. Only ever had one caller get irate when I suggested that, who clearly wasn't who he claimed to be.
This is aside from the guys with obvious foreign accents who are informing me they are from Irish Revenue and have found I've overpaid taxes by 534 Euros and 17 cents and just need my card details to reimburse me :lol:

As I say, I'm possibly too cynical at times, and what I thought was erring possibly on being over-cautious against such scams.
But this one is very credible given the links from the official sites and it's clearly happening a lot given that yer man in the bank was able to volunteer the offending MO.

I used get the phone call about repairing my computer all the time. Used to put him on hold till he hung up, used a whistle or spoke Irish to him. I can't remember what I did the last time but he called me a "fucken cunt" and hung up.
😂

Very naïve of you Soundy! Just have to be ultra-careful.

Don't worry though - pm me if any issues with getting the money back. Expecting a million quid any day now from this Nigerian lad that I helped out of a bind!!

It's okay though if it is an English retired forklift mechanic living in Wales though.
😂😂

I used get the phone call about repairing my computer all the time. Used to put him on hold till he hung up, used a whistle or spoke Irish to him. I can't remember what I did the last time but he called me a "fucken cunt" and hung up.
😂

:lol:

I used to string them along as long as I could on the phone - the longer they were with me the less time they could spend scamming others.

Thing is though these scammers are usually calling from numbers that are known to the gardai. Eircom or the phone provider could very easily shut them down but they claim there's legislation in place that they can't.

Eircom, or whoever the provider is has a vested financial interest in not shutting down companies using the phones, even for nefarious purpose, because they're using the phone infrastructure.

IMHO there should be legislation brought in that if a number, or series of numbers, is being used for scam phonecalls, and the Gardaí have had a specified minimum number of complaints then the number should be shut down.

A lot of people won't answer "number withheld" calls even if they do answer numbers that are unknown to them. The most recent "Irish Revenue" call I got I contacted the cops with the number (from Waterford via the Indian sub-continent if his accent was anything to go by). They say the get complaints of various numbers but there's not much they can do about it.

��

hahaha brillaint. I put the phone up to the radio and let them listen to Joe Duffy or the likes of

Try the search function every now and then you thick c*nt.

:lol!:

If you tried the reading function (if you have one) every now and then Zero, you'd realize this thread is about scams carried out by people pretending to be from Banks to try defraud money from unsuspecting punters.

It is NOT about the Banks themselves actually defrauding money from unsuspecting punters.

Probably a bit too subtle for you to grasp right enough. :rolleyes:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Kisses, Juozas (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..

Cinder Well

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼