The Official Man Utd Thread - Part 3.

So.

United traveling = bad.

Others = part of better plan.

FFS.

Also the days of that type of training are long since over. Clubs employ sports scientists to tailor training to the players needs, both as a group and individuals.

Basically, that article was a crock of shite, and if I was an editor that journalist would be sacked.

Who wrote that crap?

Every big side does a foreign tour nowadays . As we speak Chelsea are taking in the big lights of Dalymount and Inchicore.

So.

United traveling = bad.

Others = part of better plan.

FFS.

Also the days of that type of training are long since over. Clubs employ sports scientists to tailor training to the players needs, both as a group and individuals.

Basically, that article was a crock of shite, and if I was an editor that journalist would be sacked.

It's Jim White

It's pretty much obligatory for all of the big teams to milk the long-haul pre-season tour cow to some degree every summer. You'd have your Commercial Director tearing his hair out if not.

But within that there's usually significant variation in terms of how many miles the sides rack up and how many pre-season days each club commits to the long-haul section.

Man Utd will rack up the most miles, play the joint most games and commit the most amount of pre-season days to the long-haul section (...plus it'd take players longer to be training-read after an Australia trip than one to the East coast of the US, for example)

As a club their pre-season is typically weight heavily towards games in far-flung locations, whereas other sides typically look for a more balanced approach with a higher % games in Western Europe or the UK.

13 days - Man Utd: 13th to 25th (Asia/Australia - 4 games)
11 days - City: 17th to 27th (Asia - 4 games)
6 days - Liverpool: 20th to 25th (USA - 3 games)
5 days - Chelsea: 19th to 23rd (Asia - 2 games)
5 days - Spurs: 21st to 25th (Asia - 2 games)

The journalist could've done well to add more hard facts to his piece - as I agree, it was a little bit of a shapeless rant.

That said, I think Man Utd kicked off pre-season training very early - 5 days before Liverpool. So that would mitigate the days "lost" in Asia to some degree.

On the transfers front, he failed to recognise that Man Utd have done more business early than most of their rivals (~£65m on Wan-Bissaka & Daniel James). Expecting a total overhaul to be complete by early July in a summer where we have a Copa America & AFCON tournaments running would be highly ambitious.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival: Niall McCabe

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼