Thank GOD for Libertas

The arrival of Karl Rove-style electioneering in this country is immensely worrying and the shadowy Ganley and his highly successful and carefully targeted campaign of misdirection has certainly delivered an 900 volt electric shock to the elected government of this country who negotiated this Treaty on behalf of the electorate and who seem, in retrospect, to have behaved with enormous naivety in expecting a shoo-in. I'm reminded of what I think was a comment by Rove just after John Kerry was nominated by the Democrats in 2004: "When we're finished with him, people won't know what side he fought on", and so it was with Ganley's campaign.

Here's an indymedia article on Ganley which suggests that his head is so far up the backside of the US military that only the soles of his feet are visible:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87311

On behalf of themselves and their ilk.

Either way, people who are trumpeting Libertas are actually trumpeting US military defence contractors who had a vested interest in stopping the EU from gaining strength. I'd imagine that most of these championeers would be the first ones to bemoan US military presence at Shannon, yet they are now backing the very person who benefits the most from their presence.

Well done lads.

I hope organisations like Libertas - will take reponsibility when industry re-locates to more pro EU countries or when we loose foriegn direct investment.

The Lisbon treaty had nothing to do with abortion, conscription or the Irish Health system.

I see nothing wrong with putting it to the people again at a later date.

We have been losing companies for a long time,don't point the finger at libertas.

They'll do that themselves when they release their accounts. I can't believe people are actually convinced Libertas "won" the referendum. The coalition against the treaty was so wide along the margins that everyone from Sinn Fein to CORI to SaveIreland think they were the decisive factor.

Yeah, its definitely the coalition made the impact but Libertas seem to be the one group bringing it all together. If the groups were working independently then they wouldn't have achieved as much.

So you are happy that the American military industry had such an effect on our referendum? Ganley got his way, Shannon will remain a US airbase and the EU won't present a challenge to America. I wonder how you can be happy with such a 'victory'.

So you are happy that the American military industry had such an effect on our referendum? Ganley got his way, Shannon will remain a US airbase and the EU won't present a challenge to America. I wonder how you can be happy with such a 'victory'.

So you are happy that Europe is continuing on without us, showing their true "democratic" ways. Europe are acting like hypocrites by continuing to ratify this treaty. Reminds me of Robert Mugabey and his struggle for power. He will have election after election till he gets the result he wants. Ignore the people and just keep endorsing something which the people in three member states have clearly outlined they don't want. And all the rest of the member states people do not even have a voice. As the above poster said why do you keep concentrating on Libertas. That's like me singling out Fianna Gael and nit picking issues with their campaign. It shows a weak argument.

this focus on libertas ignores the fact that there was a strong No vote in working class areas of the country - not exactly hotbeds of Libertarianism...

for starters, there were an awful lot of trade unionists who were against the treaty.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼