Rugby World Cup Bid for 2023.

Anyone listen to OTB tonight?

David McWilliams on disusing weather Ireland should Bid for the Rugby World Cup in 2023. Personally, I think its a great idea. It would require relatively little investment, We have the infrastructure, We have the tourist capacity. The GAA would need to get on board obv. and the British Government to get a few games in Belfast.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Interesting idea, but didn't the New Zealand RFU say they lost money or something??

They lost 42m.I don't know if that's US$ or NZ$ or what. The NZ Government did stump up half the cost of the stadia upgrades(180NZ$) and the spent another 40NZ$ on infrastructure. I don't know if that's US$ or NZ$ or what. Still, Given the boost to tourism and the local economies of the communities involved they'll make a massive profit all told, For a relatively small investment.

Frank Murphy will be on board for that Id say!

If Enda agrees to pay for half the redevelopment of the Pairc, Who knows?

It wouldn't be up to Frank, HQ and ultimitely county boards would make the decision.

It's a non runner though. Even if Gaa came on board there wouldn't be enough stadia.

Croke Park, Lansdowne, Thomond, RDS, Ravenhill, Semple, Gaelic Grounds, Pairc Ui Caoimh

Surely thats enough.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼