Religion of peace. Thread 175429

Thanks be to god (yes I still believe in a superior being though I don't think he/she is the one we used be told about in RC run schools) our country has moved on immeasurably from those dark dark times.
Moved on paddy style. In that nobody goes to jail, the victims get fuck all justice, many don't even get compensation and most people still indoctrinate their kids into the church..Yes, before anyone says it, I get it that things are obviously infinitely better now. But in terms of dealing with the full horror of what happened, I think we still have a bit to go.

Moved on paddy style. In that nobody goes to jail, the victims get fuck all justice, many don't even get compensation and most people still indoctrinate their kids into the church..Yes, before anyone says it, I get it that things are obviously infinitely better now. But in terms of dealing with the full horror of what happened, I think we still have a bit to go.

Do they really? Do you have kids of your own that makes you say that? I'd venture to suggest that the vast majority of people in Ireland don't indoctrinate their kids into the church any more. I know there's still the schools nominally run by churches, and the vast majority do the Communion and Confirmation thing but I doubt if my kids were inside a church other than at weddings from when they made their Confer, and even in the build up to it they only seemed to go when they had to perform some pre-Confer ceremony.

Things were different when we were growing up. Back then in the 60s and early 70s it was very unusual if you didn't, nowadays those that attend Mass would imho be the unusual ones.

Do they really? Do you have kids of your own that makes you say that? I'd venture to suggest that the vast majority of people in Ireland don't indoctrinate their kids into the church any more. I know there's still the schools nominally run by churches, and the vast majority do the Communion and Confirmation thing but I doubt if my kids were inside a church other than at weddings from when they made their Confer, and even in the build up to it they only seemed to go when they had to perform some pre-Confer ceremony.

Things were different when we were growing up. Back then in the 60s and early 70s it was very unusual if you didn't, nowadays those that attend Mass would imho be the unusual ones.
It's the christenings, communions and confirmations that I'm referring to. Even beyond what's happened in the past, it would be my own opinion that people live long enough to decide themselves, when they're old enough, if they want to be part of a church or not. That's how I feel, but most people still prefer to do otherwise.

It's the christenings, communions and confirmations that I'm referring to. Even beyond what's happened in the past, it would be my own opinion that people live long enough to decide themselves, when they're old enough, if they want to be part of a church or not. That's how I feel, but most people still prefer to do otherwise.

Why don't you condemn Christmas Parties and Easter Eggs while you're at it if you've such a downer against any broad religious expression?

Plenty of people put their kids through a very light Christening, Communion, and Confer without having much religious faith themselves, and certainly don't indoctrinate their children into any church. I've put all my kids through those ceremonies; their grandparents go to mass every week (that's how they roll), but my kids don't go and haven't for many years. That's entirely their choice. They care more about football/rugby/GAA teams than the do about any religion.

Your claim that "most people still indoctrinate their kids into the church" is silly imho

Why don't you condemn Christmas Parties and Easter Eggs while you're at it if you've such a downer against any broad religious expression?

Plenty of people put their kids through a very light Christening, Communion, and Confer without having much religious faith themselves, and certainly don't indoctrinate their children into any church. I've put all my kids through those ceremonies; their grandparents go to mass every week (that's how they roll), but my kids don't go and haven't for many years. That's entirely their choice. They care more about football/rugby/GAA teams than the do about any religion.

Your claim that "most people still indoctrinate their kids into the church" is silly imho
Kids being put through the process of confession, communion and confirmation is a form of indoctrination.
I don't have an issue with religious expression or people's spirituality. I just believe that people should make their own decisions on it when they're old enough and that it should be kept out of schools.

You and everyone else are free to decide to do whatever they want with their kids in relation to this. With everything that's come to light over the last 25 or more years of what happened over the previous decades, I would have expected less of an uptake, but it doesn't appear to have made much of an impact at all.

I know at this stage most kids, unlike we were, are not being dragged to mass every week. Not to mention the lack of an overbearing church hanging over society. I'd still choose every time to not have my kids anywhere near it.

Kids being put through the process of confession, communion and confirmation is a form of indoctrination.
I don't have an issue with religious expression or people's spirituality. I just believe that people should make their own decisions on it when they're old enough and that it should be kept out of schools.

You and everyone else are free to decide to do whatever they want with their kids in relation to this. With everything that's come to light over the last 25 or more years of what happened over the previous decades, I would have expected less of an uptake, but it doesn't appear to have made much of an impact at all.

I know at this stage most kids, unlike we were, are not being dragged to mass every week. Not to mention the lack of an overbearing church hanging over society. I'd still choose every time to not have my kids anywhere near it.

Think that's fair enough, and it would imho be better if the patronship of local national schools be taken away from the various churches. Maybe it's a case of old habits dying hard but I still observe Christmas and Easter, still give up something for Lent or maybe All Souls but certainly wouldn't be telling anyone else to.

IMHO your faith, to whatever superior being, if you have one, should be between you and Them.

Jesus said...

He the politician, that strives to better the lives of the meek, shall be rewarded with five weeks holiday at Christmas.

Do this in memory of me.

My nephew believes all the God stuff he learns in school. It absolutely is indoctrination. Not at the point of a wooden stick, but still indoctrination.

Weirdly enough, both his parents are atheist and they'd never tell him there's no God. That's the toehold the Church still has on the Irish psyche.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼