Memorable hurling matches

I’d agree with 2003, Cork had been destroyed by Galway in Thurles in 2002, there was the strike also and then vs Clare the Banks being sang near the end and I remember thinking Ronan Curran in particular was gonna be a superstar. Kenny and Setanta too making their debuts? (Could be wrong).

Following on from that then the 2003 Munster Final against Waterford was magic. I always think it gets forgotten about because of the following year (also think 2004 was given mystical status because it was Waterford won and not Cork, did it with 14 too to be fair)
But there was goals galore in 2003 Munster Final, Mullane with a hat trick and sticking the middle finger up to us on the terrace. Really hot day. Great game unless my memory of it is wrong!

I’d agree with 2003, Cork had been destroyed by Galway in Thurles in 2002, there was the strike also and then vs Clare the Banks being sang near the end and I remember thinking Ronan Curran in particular was gonna be a superstar. Kenny and Setanta too making their debuts? (Could be wrong).

Following on from that then the 2003 Munster Final against Waterford was magic. I always think it gets forgotten about because of the following year (also think 2004 was given mystical status because it was Waterford won and not Cork, did it with 14 too to be fair)
But there was goals galore in 2003 Munster Final, Mullane with a hat trick and sticking the middle finger up to us on the terrace. Really hot day. Great game unless my memory of it is wrong!
It was brilliant. I remember The Rock being roasted early that day and was taken off. He’d been sick that week. Waterford built up a big lead. It was my first Munster Final and a great one. 53k packed into Thurles on a red hot day. Those Cork v Waterford matches from 98-07 were awesome.

I've always thought the Cork Dublin semi final in 2013 was a brilliant game, but I seem to be alone there!

Any and Every Munster game between Cork and Tipp in the late 80s early 90s. The Munster final was almost as good and important as the All Ireland back in those days. Or at least that's how it seemed to me as a young fella totally transfixed with the magic unfurling before my eyes.

Yes, it's better not to be out in some ways, but the jeopardy of it, really cranked up the intensity in those matches.

The 1998 league final win over Waterford was brilliant as well. After dismal showings in 94/95/96 it looked like Cork hurling was absolutely fucked. Winning a national title in 1998 showed that we were on the way back. With 2 u21 all Irelands back to back that day showed we were on the right track. Seanie Farrell rag dolling the Waterford full back line around the place in the blistering sun. Knew that day JBM was building something and there was a big change coming.

The 1998 league final win over Waterford was brilliant as well. After dismal showings in 94/95/96 it looked like Cork hurling was absolutely fucked. Winning a national title in 1998 showed that we were on the way back. With 2 u21 all Irelands back to back that day showed we were on the right track. Seanie Farrell rag dolling the Waterford full back line around the place in the blistering sun. Knew that day JBM was building something and there was a big change coming.
Seanie Farrell one that never delivered on his potential and when we needed a big tough bruiser in the Cork forward line. Never forgot his point to win Carrick the county when coming on as a sub--he got one ball and the winning point.

Cork v Clare 2005 was incredible too. Ronan Curran and Brian Corcoran whipped off with Cork 6 down and 20 minutes to go. With Cork a point up Colin Lynch his a shot inches wide from in front of the Hogan Stand.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼