Jack Charlton RIP

🤔
Robbed in Belgium in 1981. Not a case of making your own luck. Gary Mackay got us to Euro 88 don't forget.
"Style"? "Not pretty but pretty effective"! 😂

being robbed in places like Bulgaria was always a story and I am sure contained some truth but often we couldnt beat these teams at home. The 82 group was so strong and was decided by goal difference with us winning 3-2 in Cyprus and France winning 7-0 there being the difference.

being robbed in places like Bulgaria was always a story and I am sure contained some truth but often we couldnt beat these teams at home. The 82 group was so strong and was decided by goal difference with us winning 3-2 in Cyprus and France winning 7-0 there being the difference.

🤔
After the Cyprus game Giles walked out on his country. Hand came in and next game we beat Holland in Dublin. Happy memories as I was at the game.
Had we beaten France by 2 in the final game in Dublin we would have qualified afaicr. We won 3-2.

🤔
After the Cyprus game Giles walked out on his country. Hand came in and next game we beat Holland in Dublin. Happy memories as I was at the game.
Had we beaten France by 2 in the final game in Dublin we would have qualified afaicr. We won 3-2.

Were you at Wembley when we beat England in 48, Lee?

Yeah, that's fair enough but I do think that you need something from a technical perspective these days. You have to be able to build the play to some degree with progressive passing. Ireland copped out of that the other night when they needed to be better and impose themselves, but that's something that can be fixed, which is why I'm not willing to go all in against the current regime.

Passing football is nice to see but it takes time for players to build up an understanding. You can't expect fellas to meet up on the Monday and to be whirling the ball around like Xavi and Iniesta by Thursday. Realistically it takes months or years.

And although it's rarer nowadays, some players are just not that comfortable passing the ball around, Ciaran Clarke is a case in point. And if there's just one player who is not comfortable, the opposition will know to pressure them.

Added to which, at international level the pace is often frenetic and you get much less time and space, especially when compared with LoI.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

His Father's Voice

Coughlan's, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼