Cork Hurlers - Part 2

For so many years, maybe even decades, that used to be Cork's strength.
Shrewd guys on the line who knew the game inside out, like the Silver Fox, to make a change (ever before bringing on subs) that would lift both players swapped. Might be a swap of the corner back and the wing-back, or a corner-forward coming out, or whatever but the cuteness to know what particular changes to make and knowing that their men on the pitch would benefit from being moved correctly, won us so many tight matches down the years.

I can recall watching various tight games when Cork were behind by a couple of points at half time and being very confident they'd have the wherewithal to win the tight game, which they almost inevitably did. There was never any panic, just a calm assurance that the line knew instinctively what changes were needed, and would make them.

Unfortunately that nous on the line alas appears to be gone. And it's something that's built up over years of confidence from it working - not panicking, not hooking a guy who's started poorly, but rather moving him in the hope/expectation that a new challenge for him is almost wiping the slate clean. "We know you're better than you've been doing, we've confidence in you so we're going to give you a different task, repay our confidence" kinda thing. If he's bad in the different position you can hook him then but too often imho we let guys in a position they're clearly struggling in, and give them "one last chance" only for the pattern to be inevitably repeated and they have to be subbed then, rather than give them a second chance in a different position where they and the team could prosper.

Of course when you're moving a guy, you need to be confident that it won't upset the balance of the team but generally you can have players swap position without it upskuttling them or the team - most of the players will have played in more than one position anyway. Moving the player who's started poorly won't make him any worse, so it's generally worth a try.
One of the craftiest moves i have seen was 89 fball semi v Dubs, Keith Barr was blackguarding John O Driscoll, Billy switched Dinny over to Barr, Dinny wound Barr up, Barr saw red,

Nope , it's a hurling opinion based on evidence.
I was very impressed with Ryan's decision to pick lads like the Roches as underage manager.
I believed that the penny was dropping. When he backed him last year I thought, here we go, a cork manager who is picking a team with varied parts.
Then I went to see the munster league game with Lehane playing and thought this fella has lost his nerve.

Cork supporters and pundits only value lads like timmy mccarthy pa cronin and bill Cooper after they are gone.

Roche and O Connell should be in the Cork team in my view, I am glad they are not.
If you want to see why watch the clare players chase Joyce and Barrett leading to the missed goal compared to the Cork players chasing Ryan before o donnells goal.
Those kind of lads set a tone that others then tend to follow.

The post was never meant for hysterical spanners like yourself waving your little corky flag 😜
I think that is a sensible post.
I posted on here a couple of days ago that I could accept defeat easier if I could see a plan to build a team from scratch based on the younger players. I don't really see a clear plan for this.
There are exceptions but generally it takes a number of years to establish a settled team. The average age of the starting Clare team last Sunday was 28.2 with seven players aged thirty this year or older.

Cork was a full two years younger on average with only two aged over thirty and if you removed Harnedy and Horgan and replaced them with two 23 year olds the average age drops to 23.

We need to see a team being developed and I agree with you we need to see the team being coached on defending as a unit which does not seem to be happening just now.

I just had a quick look at the Cork 26 for last Sunday. 8 of the 11 subs were not from the winning under 20 teams which sounds high to me.

I think offensively Cork are a threat to every team.

Last edited:
Did you not openly admit here to doing it?
You think my teenage nieces and nephews read the proc?

Look, clearly this was just an attempt at a dig by you. As pointless as all the other ones. I have no interest in dragging this shit into the sports forum too, so forget it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

6th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼