Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I’ve been a big backer of Pat Ryan long before he got the Senior job. His u20s played a lovely brand of hurling mixed with physicality and a manic workrate

after last year and especially Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds I felt we were very close and seemed to be bringing through those hungry u20s.

But this year has been an unmitigated disaster so far. We have to see a performance on Saturday and we have to get a win. One of them will not do, although we’d all take a 0.01 to 0,00 win here and now
Exactly my thoughts, after seeing Pat’s u20s play and how the mentality seemed to change last year with the seniors when he came in I had high hopes for this year but to be honest the team selections during the league just felt like a backwards step and we haven’t recovered since then.

I’ve been a big backer of Pat Ryan long before he got the Senior job. His u20s played a lovely brand of hurling mixed with physicality and a manic workrate

after last year and especially Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds I felt we were very close and seemed to be bringing through those hungry u20s.

But this year has been an unmitigated disaster so far. We have to see a performance on Saturday and we have to get a win. One of them will not do, although we’d all take a 0.01 to 0,00 win here and now
I would have been of the same heart & similar to North Cork post. I had believe in Pat Ryan & co. early in 1st year of U20 then they started to repeat alot of the same as predecessors last year which they went on to continue this year expecting different results. Now looks like Cork are facing into remaining Year 3 with little youth blooded and no deadwood removed and not a sniff of Senior success. At least Cork Club championship should be exciting but along way away from 1st week of May as odds are against to Cork producing a Monster Performance especially with no trends of late.

Feck it I’m gutted for Ciaran but confident Rob Downey can do a good job at CB. He’s physical quick and has plenty hurling but Joyce is the best player we have at the moment,

No doubt a massive loss in game we need everything to go right for us to get a win.

Why would you assume Downey will go centre back? I presume strongly that Downey will go on hegarty who will go wing forward and that management despite numerous episodes of Coleman not being suited to centre back at this level I.e. the Waterford goal a couple of weeks ago will stick him at 6
Despite the many failings in terms of selection, coaching, game management, substitutions, strategy etc they don’t usually name dummy teams just the odd positional switch and I think it will be Downey and Coleman swapping
Anyway it’s academic, turning to the same defenders as you had in 2021 in 2024 is absolutely endemic of the total lack of development over the last 2 years, the league was criminally used in terms of developing players, remember the same centre forward for every game who lasted 40 minutes of championship?
We used everyone full back except the young fella who is now manning the square, it really troubles me that Tommy O’Connell didn’t come on vs Clare when it was crying out for his energy and effort, instead inexplicably we reached for a player who was almost immediately exposed for a goal….there is absolutely no right reason to expect cork to get close to limerick Saturday based on all known analysis.
Every single podcast and commentator has said you must compete and hammer the hammer of limerick at midfield in o’donoghue and cork pick a player who has been destroyed at
Midfield by the same player going back 4/5 years… millerick for Coleman, fitzgibbon moved to 11 with harnedy and Twomey starting midfield with Roche to come on there when harnedy is bust, that’s logical
Are we seriously heading to this game Saturday with the season and more on the line with maybe the odd high ball to hayes as the big difference to last year against the best team with the best defence in the country? It’s fucking mad

Last edited:
Why would you assume Downey will go centre back? I presume strongly that Downey will go on hegarty who will go wing forward and that management despite numerous episodes of Coleman not being suited to centre back at this level I.e. the Waterford goal a couple of weeks ago will stick him at 6
Despite the many failings in terms of selection, coaching, game management, substitutions, strategy etc they don’t usually name dummy teams of positions
Anyway it’s academic, turning to the same defenders as you had in 2021 in 2024 is absolutely endemic of the total lack of development over the last 2 years, the league was criminally used in terms of developing players, remember the same centre forward for every game who lasted 40 minutes of championship?
We used everyone full back except the young fella who is now manning the square, it really troubles me that Tommy O’Connell didn’t come on vs Clare when it was crying out for his energy and effort, instead inexplicably we reached for a player who was almost immediately exposed for a goal….there is absolutely no right reason to expect cork to get close to limerick Saturday based on all known analysis.
Every single podcast and commentator has said you must compete and hammer the hammer of limerick at midfield in o’donoghue and cork pick a player who has been destroyed at
Midfield by the same player going back 4/5 years… millerick for Coleman, fitzgibbon moved to 11 with harnedy and Twomey starting midfield with Roche to come on there when harnedy is bust, that’s logical
Are we seriously heading to this game Saturday with the season and more on the line with maybe the odd high ball to hayes as the big difference to last year against the best team with the best defence in the country? It’s fucking mad
Agree with all of this JF.

Lets be real lads, there is always hope with a top notch sideline making moves but do we have a sideline which makes good decisions. Its the opposite I'm afraid.

With the lack of available workers being picked, Limerick if they turn up, will work us off the field and physically bully us, particularly at midfield. It could get very ugly.

We all hope for a win but its damn hard to see it coming, maybe a Connelly hattrick, a limerick red card early doors or a Limerick no show.

I was thrilled when P Ryan got the job. However, its very likely that next year he will continue the policy of not selecting and developing workers which, even if we get a result vs Limerick, we see Cork continue to be outworked and losing games.

Love to proven wrong but I've been saying that the past 2 games.

Note - KK select and develop workers, its why they make finals.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼