Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Clare won on the day and deservedly so, I've no issue in saying that.

However anyone who was at that game could not claim there was a huge gulf in physicality between the teams when it was 15 on 15, that's the point I was trying to make to the other clown that was going on about Cork being 'nice hurlers' etc
Agree.

For me the difference going down the strait was between the ears.
Momentum before the sending off had swung to Clare, the sending off was enough of a blow to Cork that they were mentally in "chasing" mode after it.
The sending off will also have impacted the sub timing and selection.
The fact it was the second time in a week it happened wouldn't have helped either.

On the flip side, the sending off energised Clare and they grew in confidence.
Cork were never able to wrest momentum back.
I don't think it's outlandish to suggest that there was no guarantee that momentum would have stayed with Clare with 15 v 15 on the pitch.

I was proud that in spite of all that our lads never gave up, they played right to the last second and a bit of luck could have gotten them over the line (Connolly instead of Cahalane getting the final chance!)
Clare were cynical and cute enough to keep them at bay, there's a learning there too

I get what you are saying, I think PR is finding it difficult to get balance right with youth and experience. I doubt he wants to do what Chubby did with the footballers and have a cull.
I dont think the baby should be thrown out with the bathwater and I am not calling for wholesale changes as I think there are few players who could argue they didn't get a fair trial this year.
From last year Eoin Downey has already made the team and Saunderson is already sub goalkeeper and I think this year was a year to early to start him in championship games.
Both Cunningham and Mullins have had injury problems as had Padraig Power.

In particular I thought we should have seen more of Eoin Roche, Brian Roche, Conor O Callaghan and maybe Cormac O Brien as well.
I am not sure what the situation is with Daire O Leary but as a 20 year old he was started at full back against Limerick in a high profile league game and I think was regarded as highly as Ciaran Joyce was or close enough, has his progress stalled that badly because of injuries ?

I am not sure if there others outside of those I have mentioned but it must be disappointing for someone like Eoin Roche to play well( I thought he did) in a couple of games and then just disappear. COC got one game out of position, Brian Roche who was a starter last year was not in great form but I find it hard not to see how he would not be in the 26 last Sunday.

These spring to my mind and maybe other posters will have different names.
For me I think some of these lads deserved better.
Are there players outside of the squad who should be included ? They have to pass the test of being at least as good or better than those already there and that is not a low bar.
Colin O Brien I guess would be a name that might come up and I don't have any real opinion on that apart from him bringing real size and strength and captaining his college to a Fitzgibbon which is inter county hurling now by a different name.

I think R&B mentioned it earlier as well. For a middle 8 player, physicality and ball winning skills should be fundamental. A player no matter how skillful, classy, or magical on the ball, should be selected or introduced unless they have the fundamentals.

In Cork we continue to make this mistake based on subs introduced vs Clare and the selection/ subs introduced vs Wford
I’d like to think I’ve a reasonably good knowledge of what’s going on from attending rebel og, school, minor, 20s, senior & club games from 10s to senior. Hundreds of games a year I’d say.
Unfortunately I don’t think the production line is producing the players we need. Maybe I’m being kind to them but I don’t think it’s that we don’t have the teenagers with raw talent or attributes needed to develop into Liam Mc winners but it’s our production line that’s wrong. Rebel og teams in both football and hurling is a depressing sight even when they are successful. You know what your looking at isn’t going to be brining Liam McCarthy up the Mall.
Also, I think the instructions coming from CCB to the refs has turned on club championships into a non contact sport. Any bit of a clash of the ash at all now and the place goes nuts calling for cards etc etc

Sure look I might be all wrong but that’s my view.

Clare won on the day and deservedly so, I've no issue in saying that.

However anyone who was at that game could not claim there was a huge gulf in physicality between the teams when it was 15 on 15, that's the point I was trying to make to the other clown that was going on about Cork being 'nice hurlers' etc
I know what you are saying but I have a different take on the day.
I have no problem with Clare, they can only play what is in front of them and do the best they can to win the game.

My disappointment is that I don't think they were better than us.
Our lack of tactical nous in defending.
Our silliness in having a player sent off two Sundays running.
Our failure to address the midfield issue which has been these since the co-op league in January .

I think we lost a game that could have been won and don't even start me on the game the previous week.

I'd start with the same team against Limerick to allow cohension to set into the team. They were doing fine up to the sending off including for all the loose puck outs and taking into consideration that the momentum had swung in Clares favour just before that. The substitution calls should be more clinical. In the game against Waterford TOC needed to move to half back to me it seemed to accommodate CL staying on the pitch for some of the second half. Against Clare Meade was introduced when TOC offers more in midfield. Its easier said from here but the players should be selected based on their abaility and desire for it not on their longetivity on the panel

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Centre Stage School Footworks 2024

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼