Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I was at the game yesterday and I thought Cork weren't half as bad as a lot of you are making out. Dont get me wrong. It's a clusterfuck that we are (more or less) out again and it's only April. I'm as annoyed as anyone else. I'm fucking raging to be honest but direct your rage into trying to come up with REALISTIC solutions for success rather than "puck it away down the field to fuck" or whatever hand-waving bollocks half of you who never picked up a hurley in your life, not to mind won anything at senior, are writing here.

What's the so frustrating is that we are constantly only a score away from beating the top teams. We're not getting hockeyed (at least until Limerick come to town!). They even pointed this out last night on the Sunday Game. There are countless times in games where we either create our own bad luck or it appears to be foisted on us. Yesterday for the first time in ages, we didn't have a slow start and have to claw back a huge deficit. That's something to cling to.

Yeah, yeah, you make your own luck and all that but there was literally a puck of a ball between us and every other team in Munster over the last year and half of you want to throw every player, selector and manager under the bus. So childish.

There's definitely an issue with the seeing-a-game-out mentality in the Cork setup but in fairness it's not that any of them are consciously saying to themselves 'yerra we lose again...grand job'. These fellas are training for these matches since November last year, in the gym several mornings a week before work and college. They don't get a salary for it. Fuck sake, stop acting like spoiled children and show some respect.

Last week Sean O'Donoghue was one of the best players on the pitch, Cork's only defender that had a good game. He made an incredible block yesterday just before he had his brain fart for the sending off and people want him to never pick up a hurley again for Cork. Absolutely embarrassing hurler on the ditch stuff. Do you honestly know when you should bat a ball and when you should try to catch it?!

Incidentally, I'd be almost certain from watching it several times that Sean O'Donoghue didn't realise the ball had been kept in play, saw Shane O'Donnell charging towards him and adjusted his body to receive a shoulder. Shane bounced off Sean because the guy is built like a tank. Yet you still have people calling for the Cork players to up the physicality!!

I think it’s a change in mind set for us all
Basically, if a player is injured he gets the same treatment as always on the field, but play is not stopped. It has no effect on player welfare. If he is injured he gets treated the same.
If physio/Dr deems the injury serious enough they can call ref for play to be stopped to have player taken off the field. It’s a good rule actually.
Some clarity on it all would be helpful.
Does that also apply for head injuries or is it only for particular parts of the body ?
Some injuries can be serious and need immediate attention and it may not even be the most obvious injury.
I think referees should err on the side of players health. If fake injuries start to become a problem it can be looked at but generally GAA players are almost too brave for their own good.

I was just thinking now of the Nicky Quaid " injury" in the semi final against Galway.
The game was held up for several minutes while Nicky received treatment but really until Paul Kinnerk was able to get his change of tactics out to the players.

Surely though, the player is more likely to try and play on even if injured if he knows that play isn't stopped?

I know why the rule is there, but it feels really unsportmanly to continue play while a player is down injured.
It’s an uncomfortable new undertaking for sure.
But the key for welfare is that it doesn’t stop or interfere with any treatment happening. Drs come onto the field as usual. However what’s different is that play just continues which has no impact on the welfare of a seriously injured player receiving whatever treatment he needs.
If a Dr requires play to be stopped for treatment or removing the player he can signal to officials.
I don’t know but as OTT said Cramp is not a serious injury surely.

I said yesterday that it is a stupid rule and I don't agree with it but it is the rule none the less.
Stopping the play for Peter Casey's injury is covered under rule, exceptional circumstances.
I agree clarity is needed because who decides what an exceptional circumstance is ? Certainly not cramp for sure but I thought at the time it looked far more serious than that.
I think Patrick Collins needed to take responsibility and I would suggest the Cork players should have gone to check on their injured colleague to prevent a restart.

I can guarantee if that were Limerick play would somehow be delayed and the injury managed.

Does that also apply for head injuries or is it only for particular parts of the body ?
Some injuries can be serious and need immediate attention and it may not even be the most obvious injury.
I think referees should err on the side of players health. If fake injuries start to become a problem it can be looked at but generally GAA players are almost too brave for their own good.

I was just thinking now of the Nicky Quaid " injury" in the semi final against Galway.
The game was held up for several minutes while Nicky received treatment but really until Paul Kinnerk was able to get his change of tactics out to the players.
The new rule doesn’t affect player treatment in any way. If a player goes down injured and can’t walk to the sideline for treatment the Drs come onto the field as normal. Play just doesn’t stop automatically.
By the looks of it, The rule was implemented perfectly by Owens yesterday. It’s just many supporters and perhaps even PR (in the heat of the moment) aren’t fully up to speed on the rule
It’s usually the medics decide what’s a serious injury in other sports

I agree clarity is needed because who decides what an exceptional circumstance is ? Certainly not cramp for sure but I thought at the time it looked far more serious than that.
I think Patrick Collins needed to take responsibility and I would suggest the Cork players should have gone to check on their injured colleague to prevent a restart.

I can guarantee if that were Limerick play would somehow be delayed and the injury managed.
Of course it would, Limerick have an extremely tactically aware sideline we don't, one could actually argue that the rule was brought in because of Nicky Quaid and his antics. Our physio/doctor (who ever it was came on to treat TOM), Collins and our sideline need to take responsibility. Signal to the bench for a substitute and get Collins to either puck it over the sideline or wait for the sub to come in. There is no cuteness unfortunately.
Also on the subject of cuteness, you notice yesterday the Clare runner in and out of the game with instructions?

Thought it was an outstanding performance in patches today. Still have the makings of a serious team when they get motoring.

Clare got the rub of the green with what we missed. It happens. We'd still almost certainly have won with 15 men.

There's no reason why we can't beat the AI champions in a fortnight. Produce another display like today, and get a bit more luck, and we absolutely could.

On the downside, you have to wonder why we still haven't a settled 15. You have to ask why a player in the FB line is left on the field with a yellow for the second week in a row. Some of the puckouts were shocking too, but it's the first time I saw Collins that bad.

It's easy to be despondent tonight. We're all pissed off. But, ask yourself if there was an improvement on last week? In my book, a huge improvement. Clare aren't some second rate Lori Meagher outfit. They're AI contenders and we came damn close to beating them with 14 men. This team is one big win away from igniting. It's fucked up that we may have to wait another year. We need to keep the heads down and keep winning U20s. Keep producing players and keep young players in other counties used to losing to Cork. If we were in Leinster we'd be looking towards an AI Q-final from the start of the year and we could build a team much more quickly. The GAA have created a competition that's just going to hand more AIs to KK and Galway. But that's another debate I guess.
The GAA have created a competition that's just going to hand more AIs to KK and Galway. But that's another debate I guess.

how many all irelands have leinster won since round robin came in?

Last edited:
And they aren’t trapped. They can move away if they are getting grief.
I heard a good one today about yesterday.
At full time whistle yesterday a Clare supporter turned to a Cork supporter and says “so what concerts have ye on here for the summer?”
Funny in fairness.

The Clare boys always seem to think they're funny yet they've an arrogance completely out of step with their place in the game.

Yes they're a good team at the moment but the BS some of them indulge in takes the biscuit.

I remember being amongst them at a game in Thurles around 2000 and the way they were going on you'd swear they'd won as many as KK or even Tipp. This Clare yaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooo was shouting "Well Cork, have ye come up to see some men with All Ireland medals in their pocket" - Clare having won two AIs in 95 and 97 - quick as a flash a Corkman said "Shur our management team has more All Ireland medals than that entire Clare team". Shut the pr*ck up straight away.

For a county that's won a sum total of 4 All Irelands, some of their fans don't half try and lord it as though they're experts on every facet of the game. You wouldn't get half the misplaced arrogance out of KK or Tipp fans imho.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Mike Rice: Nasty Character
The Roundy, Castle St.

31st May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Cathal Fitz

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼