Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That's not the incident
Collins is running off with the ball
O donnell goes to run after him and donoghue takes him out. 100% a yellow leading to a red
I totally agree with Soundman, the ref has to see that Collins isn't in line and the distance is too great between him and O'Donnell even if O'Donoghue wasn't there, also that O'Donnell runs in a straight line at O'Donoghue. The forward with probably the best side step in the game makes no attempt whatsoever to side step, how convenient. O'Donnell deliberately went out to get O'Donoghue sent off and you on here every day whinging about diving, jokeshop! Why did Owens only show a red card? What about Eoin Downey's catch in the first half when Owens blew against him for absolutely nothing, another Clare dive!

Not so. If we beat Limerick and Tipp and Waterford also beat Limerick would we not be tied on 4 with Limerick and have a better head to head and thus progress (assuming no other team on 4 points)..? Granted that this is an extremely unlikely scenario but nonetheless.
Dependent on us beating Limerick and Limerick not beating Waterford?
That would give Waterford a minimum of 4 points.
Extremely unlikely is right.
I think realistically our only chance is for Tipp to beat Waterford

Having watched the match again yesterday, I think the game was lost with the full back line selection.
We do not have a natural full back and perhaps it was a wrong call to drop Damien, the Clare inside line scored a total of 2-19.
Barrett and Dalton were not contributing in the half forward line, they should have been pulled earlier.
Harnedy and Hoggy were awesome, the abuse levelled against them was not merited. Lehane is an awesome player too but maybe all 3 should not play at the same time again. Shane kingston looked lively as well when he came on and looks a much better option to O'Flynn, Twomey or Jack O'Connor.

Clare found scores much easier, our 6 backs as a unit did not work well. Tim Rob and Joycey tried hard but were out hurled.

I am not sure if the spirit is within these players and that is the management's problem.

We have a coach on the sideline from Waterford, i understand he is not the most popular but Sheedy should be snapped up in the coming weeks when we go out tendering for a new management team.

People would need to calm the fuck down.

If you stop working from a 'we are cork basis' and started thinking that right now Clare have better hurlers than Cork yesterdays performance by cork has a lot to build on.

Corks keeper isn't great, but he's not useless either. Saunderson has a season in a really dominant u 20s team and a few league matchs.

Maybe he is good enough. Picking him now is bollox.

The cork defence is fine other than maybe Eoin Downey isn't quite ready.
O leary should be first choice. Putting in next weeks flavour of the month won't help.

The clare forwards are exceptionally good with two of the most unorthodox hurlers ( o donnell and Duggan ) that have ever played.
It's really tough to play against them.

O mahony got destroyed by Duggan but he never quit and took serious punishment out there.

Midfield is the area that needs a rethink. Personally I just cannot understand the brian Roche situation.

Here is a lad who did really well last year grafting away doing the donkey work but is dropped this year , presumably due to his hurling , giving him no chance to grow.
Connolly is a great player. He looks dangerous every time he gets the ball

Hayes and Daltons value only became apparent when they went off. Hayes may not make it but he should get the chance. Dalton I am torn on . Some great scores but did he abdicate responsibility for mcinerney

The subs weren't great.

Coleman is the great conundrum. Beautiful ball player
After that 🤷‍♂️

O Flynn was off the pace and he was marking a sub making his championship debut.
Leen got the better of it.

In the end there should be at least 13 of that 15 starting the next day.

Cork simply don't have the players to justify that sort of lurching about.

Is there any element at all of Cork people being proud of the way their team stuck at it in the face of hammer blow goals 2 weeks in a row.

Naturally I hope Ryan makes 4 or 5 changes and completely blows things up.

Ps
Rob Downey to 12 ?

Thoughts ?
That’s a very reasonable and well considered post TAN. Some excellent points. Unfortunately there is a mindset whereby some Cork people will look at Clare and always expect to beat them and anything else is an abject failure. The reality is that Lohan and co have carefully built this team in a very deliberate and considered way over the past five years. They have gone about their business very diligently and humbly. There were lots of times when he could have cribbed about decisions in big games but didn’t. Like the player he was, he is a top class manager and leader of men. The reality is that Clare are second only to a generational Limerick team. Even then I give them a good shot of winning it out this year. I can only see a Munster and AI final where it will be Clare and Limerick. They might in retrospect view losing last weeks game as a blessing. Not only did it dampen down the league win it also gave them some tactical lessons.

Anyway, to Cork. To me the starting point is the quality of this Clare team. To go 7 ahead, lose a man ( Clare exploited the space excellently) and still be within a puc of a ball at the end is a great credit to them. The fact that they have lost to Lim and Clare over the past 12 months by 1 and 2 points, respectively, suggest that they are building and going in the right direction. I accept that there are some apparent baffling team selections but on balance they are getting a lot right (and a fair bit wrong too it has to be said). Overall, I would like to see cork persist with Ryan.

Looking at the glaring problem child - winning and retaining ball in the forward lines - there seems to me plenty of young and emerging raw material to work with - S Twomey, Cunningham, Hayes and further down the line D Healy. That’s not even mentioning Connolly. In this context I would be slow to relocate R Downey to the forwards. I think it would be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. You could also make a case for O’Mahony as a ball winner in the forwards, but a less compelling one I would argue. If I was to criticise Ryan and co it would be that they have been too conservative in progressing and sticking with some of the aforementioned. The Roche thing baffles me also but conscious that there may be something we are not aware of. I would also advocate for E Roche to be given a run.

Plenty for cork to consider.

People would need to calm the fuck down.

If you stop working from a 'we are cork basis' and started thinking that right now Clare have better hurlers than Cork yesterdays performance by cork has a lot to build on.

Corks keeper isn't great, but he's not useless either. Saunderson has a season in a really dominant u 20s team and a few league matchs.

Maybe he is good enough. Picking him now is bollox.

The cork defence is fine other than maybe Eoin Downey isn't quite ready.
O leary should be first choice. Putting in next weeks flavour of the month won't help.

The clare forwards are exceptionally good with two of the most unorthodox hurlers ( o donnell and Duggan ) that have ever played.
It's really tough to play against them.

O mahony got destroyed by Duggan but he never quit and took serious punishment out there.

Midfield is the area that needs a rethink. Personally I just cannot understand the brian Roche situation.

Here is a lad who did really well last year grafting away doing the donkey work but is dropped this year , presumably due to his hurling , giving him no chance to grow.

harnedy and horgan were mighty. Both their markers, hayes and ryan are quick experienced skilful hurlers but they both had to fight hard to contain them and didht succeed until well into the match. Real leadership.

Connolly is a great player. He looks dangerous every time he gets the ball . He found it tougher on Hogan when cleary swopped to Hayes after the yellow

Hayes and Daltons value only became apparent when they went off. Hayes may not make it but he should get the chance. Dalton I am torn on . Some great scores but did he abdicate responsibility for mcinerney A bit

The subs weren't great.

Coleman is the great conundrum. Beautiful ball player
After that 🤷‍♂️

O Flynn was off the pace and he was marking a sub making his championship debut.
Leen got the better of it.

In the end there should be at least 13 of that 15 starting the next day.

Cork simply don't have the players to justify that sort of lurching about.

Is there any element at all of Cork people being proud of the way their team stuck at it in the face of hammer blow goals 2 weeks in a row.

Naturally I hope Ryan makes 4 or 5 changes and completely blows things up.

Ps
Rob Downey to 12 ?

Thoughts ?
In what world is the Cork defence fine? Conceding huge scores week after week for years now, no matter who plays back there.

It’s a collective thing as much as it’s an individual thing. Some aren’t good enough and others don’t work together.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼