Cork Footballers

Another decent result at the weekend for the footballers. A hard fought one too. Great to see.

Yeah - very encouraging at times. Scored some decent points from range which is good to see. Moved the ball very well and very quickly up the field on occasions when they turned over Armagh possession. Keeping Powter fit is vital.
His pace had Armagh all over the shop when he got clean possession.
Maguire excellent too but stupid to react for yellow card when we had a free.
That Sherlock effort at end looked to be over from the North Stand but draw a decent enough result as Armagh didn't come down here just for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Great effort overall , Sherlock very unlucky just went outside the post....Michael Martin could have done better he punched the ball out could maybe have caught it ...but thats easy from the stands to do it ! The biggest worry is Killian O Hanlon hamstring again ....he was playing well.
Roll on Limerick.

I don't see how the chances of Cork being consigned to the Tailteann increase dramatically if Limerick win. Surely they would increase only marginally.
I fully agree. I didn't intend to suggest otherwise (when I wrote "if they do", it was in relation to the immediately preceding sentence clause - i.e. if they beat Kerry).

As favorites in Munster , we lost to Clare last year and lost to Tip in 2020. I am of course very hopeful that we'll beat Limerick, and I do wonder how we would do v Kerry if we beat Limerick. I'd take any win at all v Limerick.

I fully agree. I didn't intend to suggest otherwise (when I wrote "if they do", it was in relation to the immediately preceding sentence clause - i.e. if they beat Kerry).

As favorites in Munster , we lost to Clare last year and lost to Tip in 2020. I am of course very hopeful that we'll beat Limerick, and I do wonder how we would do v Kerry if we beat Limerick. I'd take any win at all v Limerick.

Thanks - I had wondered if that was what you had meant. Losing to Limerick woukd be bad news for many reasons, of which increasing Cork's chances of playing in the Tailteann would be well down the list.

What 15 will start v Limerick ?

I don't see many changes from the 15 that started v Armagh. P. Walsh might struggle to start

Flahive, Maguire, Sherlock and Cronin are the others in the mix IMO.

Well done to all involved for a great turnaround following the first three results, it shows that the mgt team and panel are together for the good of the cause. The players cannot be accused of not rolling up their sleeves, when the chips were down they rallied.

Cork have built up momentum, I would be slightly worried still that defensively we have conceded huge scores, ( 9 goals in total over 7 games in poor playing conditions mostly) on the other hand seeing the attack posting big scores and the conversion rate improving is heartening.

Taking the Donegal game out of it we have conceded 17 pts on average per game. That is sobering. Only Tyrone, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Wicklow & Waterford have conceded more so alot to work on prior to the trip to Killarney. The Kerry game should be competitive, Foley out is a big blow to them. Defensively on 1 v1 they like all teams can be got at.

We should be looking to beat Limerick a score a man based on current form. They have been extremely poor to date and do not pose an attacking threat.

In relation to the 15 Barry K O Bama, I think the big call they need to make is on the goalkeeper, does Martin have the same range of kicking as the other two. Up top,
Sherlock is getting sharper, he is a super option to spring from the bench. Chris Og & Corbett have been some of Cork s top performers in the league which is great to see. Hurley not firing at 100% yet, but we know the pedigree is there. Having two/three foils with him now should relieve some of the pressure from him come championship. Realistically Cathal O' Mahony wo nt figure until Sam Maguire, if we could keep all 5 fit it would bode well for our chances.

We need a reliable free taker who can take 45s that must mean Sherlock starts and in reality Kelly is a better keeper as his range of kickouts are far superior, we nearly lost Saturday as when the heat came on all we had was high spirally to the left

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

His Father's Voice

Coughlan's, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼