An Open Letter....

Must have been 200 Cork fans at the Roscommon game...
Got a text this morning from a buddy from Cloyne, started off with the fact that tis gonna be some session for the AI weekend, he booked his B&B last night for the weekend, wondering If I could get him a ticket again. This is the same fella I got a ticket for last year. The same fella that watched the game in Jurys after selling his Hill ticket for a profit of €15. The same fella that has a pop at football every chance he gets. The same fella that WONT be getting a ticket from me this year.

If we just had the same supporters there in September as we had yesterday, we wouldn't be going far wrong. Got behind the team when it looked like the game was slipping away, roared the house down for the last ten minutes and contributed hugely to a fantastic atmosphere.

Indeed, the support yesterday was fantastic. Even when staring defeat in the face on 2 or 3 seperate occasions the supporters never let up in their vocal backing. Contrast that with the Final last year when the support, although bigger in number, was quiet when Kerry forged ahead by four points at the start of the second half and again with ten minutes to go.

It has become a common theme now for All-Ireland Semi-Finals to draw a better Cork support than the Finals when the day-trippers and event-junkies will be out in force. The best Cork atmospheres at Croke Park in recent years have all been at the Semi-Final stage - Clare 05, Waterford 06, Tyrone 09 and Dublin 10.

So long as all those who attended yesterday and in particualr the hard-core who braved the qualifier route get their hands on a ticket then I couldn't care less whether there is 20,000 or 50,000 Cork fans in attendance in four weeks time.

Are you including people like me in this? I prefer hurling to football, but I go to both. I was there yesterday and I was at all the matches bar the final last year. I admit that I'm not as familiar with all the players as some (I know their names, but not their clubs, apart from Goulding and Sheehan as they're Eire Og).

To be fair, the likes of Canty, Murphy and Anthony Lynch aren't playing long...

Couldn't make a single footballers game this year. I feel bad about it. For the same reasons I wasn't in Dooblah yesterday, I rather doubt I'll be there for the final. if that's any consolation.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Silence (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 4:30pm

More events ▼