Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Even look at last year's Leinster Final, an hilarious bottle job, the 2020 Leinster final another one, there is nobody worse than Galway at being fragile. With the teams and players they have had, and underage success, they have massively underachieved over the last 100 years, it runs deep in that county
Jez lad, he was talking about his own experience playing with Galway against Cork in which he lost one championship match across four grades in that time.
Some lads here would want to take a good hard look at themselves if they are bothered by comments from a pundit who’s job is to sell copy

Missing the point by a mile, I'm afraid. Let's grant for the sake of argument that everything you've said about Galway and Canning is true (it's not, but anyway). That doesn't change the fact that Cork over the last fifteen-odd years have been fragile. Look at how they have exited the championship in that period: no-shows in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2021; losing having gotten into strong positions in 2016, 2018 and 2019; losing tight games in 2009, 2020, 2022 and 2023 (against both Clare and Limerick). Even in 2013 Cork had a golden opportunity to win the drawn AI but didn't close it out.

Obviously any team can fail badly on the day, or blow a good position, or be edged out in a tight match. But it's happened repeatedly to Cork, too often to be just a string of coincidences imo.

I'd add that another sign of fragility is if a team is knocked back by a bad defeat. Of course it's impossible to be sure, but it looks to me that the defeats in 2014, 2018 and 2031 badly dented the confidence of those teams - in each case performance levels dipped noticeably the following season.
Absolutely spot on. At least someone got the point he was making.

I'd add that another sign of fragility is if a team is knocked back by a bad defeat. Of course it's impossible to be sure, but it looks to me that the defeats in 2014, 2018 and 2031 badly dented the confidence of those teams - in each case performance levels dipped noticeably the following season.
face-with-open-mouth_1f62e.gif

Missing the point by a mile, I'm afraid. Let's grant for the sake of argument that everything you've said about Galway and Canning is true (it's not, but anyway). That doesn't change the fact that Cork over the last fifteen-odd years have been fragile. Look at how they have exited the championship in that period: no-shows in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2021; losing having gotten into strong positions in 2016, 2018 and 2019; losing tight games in 2009, 2020, 2022 and 2023 (against both Clare and Limerick). Even in 2013 Cork had a golden opportunity to win the drawn AI but didn't close it out.

Obviously any team can fail badly on the day, or blow a good position, or be edged out in a tight match. But it's happened repeatedly to Cork, too often to be just a string of coincidences imo.

That 2013 team was poor anyway, JBM turned water in to wine getting them even competing in an All Ireland, and that Clare team did nothing thereafter, 2 poor teams. That Galway team from 2015 to 2021 was a serious team who in the end could only win 1 All Ireland (barely). Cork just haven't been good enough rather than Fragile. How was Cannings experience against Cork in 2008 when they bottled a 9 point lead against 14 men

😂😂 I think you’re the one who has missed my point entirely.
Read the very first 4 words of what I said.

You can defend gutless Galway if you wish. That’s your choice.

All winter and spring this place has been filled of delusional fellas way out of touch with the reality of where Cork hurling is at and blowing out of proportion corks chances in 2024.

That 2013 team was poor anyway, JBM turned water in to wine getting them even competing in an All Ireland, and that Clare team did nothing thereafter, 2 poor teams. That Galway team from 2015 to 2021 was a serious team who in the end could only win 1 All Ireland (barely). Cork just haven't been good enough rather than Fragile. How was Cannings experience against Cork in 2008 when they bottled a 9 point lead against 14 men
I’d argue they were both. This current Kilkenny team aren’t good enough but you couldn’t say they are fragile. Not even close.

Cork collapsed in very big games. 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019 we were beaten in Croke Park by big margins. We weren’t good enough in 2015 or 16 but losing to a Galway team in 15 by 12 points and had 20 wides was the worst yet. No way at all we should be losing to Wexford in 2016.

You’re right to some extent that some here have unrealistic expectations of our All Ireland credentials. However, despite the influx of younger players since 2021 we’ve won 4 championship matches since we got hammered in the 21 final. Waterford x 2, Tipp (who were as good as knocked out) and Antrim. That’s unacceptable.

I defended Pat Ryan big time here last year. Make no mistake about it, he’s fighting for his future as Cork manager now.

An early goal tomorrow would be a great boost
Clare conceded soft goals last weekend and the same last season
Hopefully Connelly gets some decent ball as he’s on a great run of form.
To be honest I struggle to see us winning unless we are ahead of them significantly on the goal front

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼