Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Missing the point by a mile, I'm afraid. Let's grant for the sake of argument that everything you've said about Galway and Canning is true (it's not, but anyway). That doesn't change the fact that Cork over the last fifteen-odd years have been fragile. Look at how they have exited the championship in that period: no-shows in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2021; losing having gotten into strong positions in 2016, 2018 and 2019; losing tight games in 2009, 2020, 2022 and 2023 (against both Clare and Limerick). Even in 2013 Cork had a golden opportunity to win the drawn AI but didn't close it out.

Obviously any team can fail badly on the day, or blow a good position, or be edged out in a tight match. But it's happened repeatedly to Cork, too often to be just a string of coincidences imo.

I'd add that another sign of fragility is if a team is knocked back by a bad defeat. Of course it's impossible to be sure, but it looks to me that the defeats in 2014, 2018 and 2031 badly dented the confidence of those teams - in each case performance levels dipped noticeably the following season.
🤔
2031? Back to the future.

I’d argue they were both. This current Kilkenny team aren’t good enough but you couldn’t say they are fragile. Not even close.

Cork collapsed in very big games. 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019 we were beaten in Croke Park by big margins. We weren’t good enough in 2015 or 16 but losing to a Galway team in 15 by 12 points and had 20 wides was the worst yet. No way at all we should be losing to Wexford in 2016.

You’re right to some extent that some here have unrealistic expectations of our All Ireland credentials. However, despite the influx of younger players since 2021 we’ve won 4 championship matches since we got hammered in the 21 final. Waterford x 2, Tipp (who were as good as knocked out) and Antrim. That’s unacceptable.

I defended Pat Ryan big time here last year. Make no mistake about it, he’s fighting for his future as Cork manager now.
I'd like to know where all these Cork folk who think/thought we are contenders for AI this year are hiding out.
Think the most that most people were hoping for was to survive Munster and see what happened after that.

Hope PuC is rocking loud tomorrow, need to be lifting the roof off of the stands, drown out whatever Banner roar comes to town.

That 2013 team was poor anyway, JBM turned water in to wine getting them even competing in an All Ireland, and that Clare team did nothing thereafter, 2 poor teams. That Galway team from 2015 to 2021 was a serious team who in the end could only win 1 All Ireland (barely). Cork just haven't been good enough rather than Fragile. How was Cannings experience against Cork in 2008 when they bottled a 9 point lead against 14 men
The thing I remember most about the drawn game in 2013 was us laughing with/at Clare friends outside Croker afterwards that we’d nearly won it. That was a weak Cork team I agree.
I also agree that Cork haven’t been good enough. It’s not being fragile. In fairness I don’t recall Cork losing many games they should have won.
Galway on the other hand are the most fragile bunch in the country.
They are doing a right good job of knocking the crown off Henry. He will do well to finish up with those wasters without having his reputation and credibility destroyed.

I'd like to know where all these Cork folk who think/thought we are contenders for AI this year are hiding out.
Think the most that most people were hoping for was to survive Munster and see what happened after that.

Hope PuC is rocking loud tomorrow, need to be lifting the roof off of the stands, drown out whatever Banner roar comes to town.
This is also a mediocre Clare side so I don’t expect many from Clare to travel.

The thing I remember most about the drawn game in 2013 was us laughing with/at Clare friends outside Croker afterwards that we’d nearly won it. That was a weak Cork team I agree.
I also agree that Cork haven’t been good enough. It’s not being fragile. In fairness I don’t recall Cork losing many games they should have won.
Galway on the other hand are the most fragile bunch in the country.
They are doing a right good job of knocking the crown off Henry. He will do well to finish up with those wasters without having his reputation and credibility destroyed.
Exactly, you couldn't say the Cork team of the last 10 years have underachieved, its not a generational team, Hoggy being the only generational player at a push, they just were not good enough, saying they were fragile is lazy argument, look at the players 1-15 and compare with the other teams who went on to win All Irelands

It is a long time now since they have had a bye to the semi finals(which for the most part didnt really help them).
i think Canning would be first to admit that his Galway teams should have won one or two more All Irelands.
Cork have lost a few really close championship games recently, Last year was a real sickener and then to follow up with what happened in Waterford.

It is a long time now since they have had a bye to the semi finals(which for the most part didnt really help them).
i think Canning would be first to admit that his Galway teams should have won one or two more All Irelands.
Cork have lost a few really close championship games recently, Last year was a real sickener and then to follow up with what happened in Waterford.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Keith Synott

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼