Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That could also work the other way, if Mark Coleman is playing as well as he can, would you leave Hegarty on him?
Completely agree with this sentiment. Mark Coleman is a problem for other teams when he’s right. It seems like he’s got a lot to prove to some posters here. I’m looking forward to the guy re-establishing himself as one of the bets hurlers in the country this year.

i dont think MC got any abuse if you are consistently beaten by your opponent and the manager continues to pick you for that position thats the managers fault.

With Waterford playing a sweeper Ger Mellerick will be brought out to play in the half back line.
I reckon that's probably true, picking the defence by looking at possible matchups and extra men etc with opposition attack seems like a smart way to go about it. And if that is what they are doing then Id say we will definitely see young downey vs the more bigger forward units of clare and limerick.

Pat Ryan hasn’t put any confidence in me with his comments during the week.

“Getting out of Munster is the first step in that. As you said, I’d bite your hand off for third. I think everyone would.”

Like he should be saying winning Munster is a goal, we haven’t won it since 2018. The end goal is the Liam McCarthy but winning is a habit and having some silverware goes a long way in confidence.

Like absolutely I’d bite you hand off to get out of Munster but our manager settling with comments like that.
We should be out winning everything end of story.

Here’s the article in case anyone thinks I’m making it up. Reported on a few papers too.

It’s a fairly uninspiring sort of selection but maybe they’ve an eye to the other games too and managing people’s minutes etc.

If Dalton isn’t playing Hoggie has to start for frees alone and that’s a given. Can’t see Harnedy and Lehane starting every game but they both had huge performances down in Waterford two years ago so maybe it’s horses for courses.

Striking though that for all the underage success in recent years we’ve three lads in their mid 30s togging off in the forwards. That won’t do in the medium term even. Equally some of the younger guys like O’Mahony, Jack O’Connor, Kingston when he’s fit might ask themselves what they’ve done in the chances they’ve had to make themselves part of the furniture for a starting 15. Robbie o’flynn probably has the biggest gripe.

Last edited:
Pat Ryan hasn’t put any confidence in me with his comments during the week.

“Getting out of Munster is the first step in that. As you said, I’d bite your hand off for third. I think everyone would.”

Like he should be saying winning Munster is a goal, we haven’t won it since 2018. The end goal is the Liam McCarthy but winning is a habit and having some silverware goes a long way in confidence.

Like absolutely I’d bite you hand off to get out of Munster but our manager settling with comments like that.
We should be out winning everything end of story.

Here’s the article in case anyone thinks I’m making it up. Reported on a few papers too.
Ah would you stop!

Here's the full quote which paints an entirely different picture - his goal is to get to the AI final!

The margins in the Munster championship are likely to be razor-fine again this year, and at the outset Ryan admits he’d happily settle for third place in the table and progression to the All-Ireland series.

“I’d bite your hand off for it,” he says. “With the exception of Limerick maybe, everybody is looking for that, to get out of Munster. That’s the key for us. We didn’t get out of Munster last year and that’s key to our year. Everything takes off after that.

“We know how competitive Munster is. If you come out of Munster, you should be having aspirations of getting to an All-Ireland final at that stage.

“We’re trying to get back to the top table and get into an All-Ireland final. We were in one in 2021 and we didn’t perform the way we would’ve liked.”

“Our job is to try and win an All-Ireland. That’s why we took the job on. Getting out of Munster is the first step in that. As you said, I’d bite your hand off for third. I think everyone would.”

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Flake The Gander

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼