Places that won't reopen

Reducing the VAT rate for one sector would not save one job. I’m not saying the cost of running a business isn’t outrageously high but those costs are far more complex than just VAT.
If you take 4.5% profit from any company in any industry it will have a huge knock on effect, to say it wouldn't save one job is complete nonsense.

It's one measure that would be very helpful, more would be needed but VAT would be a good start.

If you take 4.5% profit from any company in any industry it will have a huge knock on effect, to say it wouldn't save one job is complete nonsense.

It's one measure that would be very helpful, more would be needed but VAT would be a good start.
But VAT is passed on to the customer so surely a reduction in VAT should also be passed on.

I tend to talk out of both sides of my mouth on these issues. On one hand I've no sympathy for places as I feel like we're being totally ripped off, and if they don't like their business conditions then they should just pack it in and do something else instead of constantly moaning.

On the other hand I've a lot of friends who work in the hospitality industry as well as friends who are business owners, and definitely not driving around in Ferarris.

The likes of hotels though let the whole sector down with their constant pisstaking.

I tend to talk out of both sides of my mouth on these issues. On one hand I've no sympathy for places as I feel like we're being totally ripped off, and if they don't like their business conditions then they should just pack it in and do something else instead of constantly moaning.

On the other hand I've a lot of friends who work in the hospitality industry as well as friends who are business owners, and definitely not driving around in Ferarris.

The likes of hotels though let the whole sector down with their constant pisstaking.
You’re spot on about hotels. I do have a lot more sympathy with small cafe and restaurant owners. But at the same time I’m very weary about the state subsidising some industries over others.

I have this posted on another thread, but think it definitely belongs here also..
Not withstanding the huge profits the likes of the hotels make, especially from the RIP-off jacked up prices when a gig/event is announced close by.

Hence why so many new hotels still be built these days.

Imagine if cab drivers, trains, buses, shops, etc were allowed to up their prices when a concert/event comes to town.

Hotels are laughing at people and definitely do not deserve any cuts to the VAT rate.

But VAT is passed on to the customer so surely a reduction in VAT should also be passed on.
I've got 2 friends that run small hospitality businesses in town, they never stop working, morning noon and night just to keep things afloat and even at that some weeks they are taking a hit, it's not sustainable and every single % they can claw back is a chance to breath.

Multiple factors are at play here that have led to this situation, rent, rates, energy costs, over heads across the board have gone up and they are at a point they can't pass anymore onto the customer nor do they want too. We aren't talking about huge profit here it's making a living just about and trying to employ a small hard working staff.

Maybe you should have a think about that before calling people whining bastards.

It's paid by the customer but has made already massively overly priced products more expensive to a point it's stopping people eating out going for coffee's etc

The only winner here is the government coffers who'll waste it
You can always stay at home and make a mug of coffee for 30c but where is the fun in that?

If a 4.5% increase in the cost of a meal is going to discourage you then you are better off eating at home or simply shop around for value as the cost of things is the cost.

If this increase discourages discretionary spending then the Government is the ultimate loser.

You can always stay at home and make a mug of coffee for 30c but where is the fun in that?

If a 4.5% increase in the cost of a meal is going to discourage you then you are better off eating at home or simply shop around for value as the cost of things is the cost.

If this increase discourages discretionary spending then the Government is the ultimate loser.
VAT is one part of the equation, like I said more needs to be done to support small businesses as a whole.

If you can't see that I don't know what to say to you.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼