Places that won't reopen

The hospitality industry are whingeing bastards. Costs have increased for every industry in the economy yet they think they’re entitled to special treatment above all others.
Speaking of costs, saw an acquaintance I know in Aldi the other day. Basket full of green teas, flavoured teas, brown breads and scones. Chatting away to them, Oh, just down from "work", getting a few bits and pieces. Work is a well know city and county chain. Seen the same in a popular Turners Cross bar with the Aldi tea bags. And the top trump I witnessed, one early morning, just as a St Lukes Cafe had opened their doors, the server was busy cutting 2 carrot cakes and a coffee cake into 1/8s. Aldi Specially Selected boxes on the counter behind her.

Speaking of costs, saw an acquaintance I know in Aldi the other day. Basket full of green teas, flavoured teas, brown breads and scones. Chatting away to them, Oh, just down from "work", getting a few bits and pieces. Work is a well know city and county chain. Seen the same in a popular Turners Cross bar with the Aldi tea bags. And the top trump I witnessed, one early morning, just as a St Lukes Cafe had opened their doors, the server was busy cutting 2 carrot cakes and a coffee cake into 1/8s. Aldi Specially Selected boxes on the counter behind her.
That's not on. Cafes should make their own cakes and scones

I've got 2 friends that run small hospitality businesses in town, they never stop working, morning noon and night just to keep things afloat and even at that some weeks they are taking a hit, it's not sustainable and every single % they can claw back is a chance to breath.

Multiple factors are at play here that have led to this situation, rent, rates, energy costs, over heads across the board have gone up and they are at a point they can't pass anymore onto the customer nor do they want too. We aren't talking about huge profit here it's making a living just about and trying to employ a small hard working staff.

Maybe you should have a think about that before calling people whining bastards.
The VAT rate is a tiny percentage of their costs and is not even a direct cost for businesses. As has been pointed out already VAT is paid by the consumer. Its well known that a large number of hospitality businesses did not pass on the VAT reduction and I’m sure this played a part in the reduction being allowed to expire.

Name and shame the fucking SCUM

That is shocking tbf.

Is there anything to say that they can't buy it in Aldi/Lidl and sell it on?

Or are they supposed to buy from a wholesaler?

If they are going down the Aldi/Lidl route, are there tax/vat implications?

Just curious.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Casey Black

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼