Places that won't reopen

MerchantOfEnnis

Even at these early stages it's pretty clear that Cork's business landscape is going to look very different in a few months. We've already been left with a huge footprint in a prime location with Debenhams gone, and now Oasis has followed them. I read yesterday that a number of retailers in Paul Street SC won't be returning either.

We're used to seeing the Aircoach and GoBus leave from the Quays, but will there be enough business for two companies whose business depends on Dublin Airport, at a time when travel and aviation are on their knees?

What about the travel agents in Cork, how many of them will be crippled by cancellations and not recover?

And with the collapse in tourism and double digit unemployment, how will so many restaurants, hotels and bars remain open?

So far the ones we know are -

• Debenhams
  • Oasis
  • Laura Ashley
I'll add to this list as it unfortunately grows over the coming days and weeks

Last edited:
Nightclubs are definitely finished.

Pubs, restaurants, cafes, bistros... may reopen again but with social distancing heavily imposed and limits on the numbers who can go in. Expect prices to rocket as a consequence and bookings months in advance essential.

The big supermarkets like Dunnes, Tescos and Supervalue will remain. As will aldi and Lidl. Off licences will spring up all over the place as the demand continues to rise.

Many of the city centre retail shops will have no choice but to close as people just wont bother going into the city centre anymore.

Public transport will probably be cut in half. No one going anywhere. College places on courses will probably be cut by up to 2 thirds so that huge classes are not packed into lecture theatres. Also course deemed 'non essential' will be discontinued. That's not a bad thing. Who needs a class full of phd students in Medieval history and the evolution of womens rights... Please!

Cinemas? Gone. Netflix will be the norm.

Even at these early stages it's pretty clear that Cork's business landscape is going to look very different in a few months. We've already been left with a huge footprint in a prime location with Debenhams gone, and now Oasis has followed them. I read yesterday that a number of retailers in Paul Street SC won't be returning either.

We're used to seeing the Aircoach and GoBus leave from the Quays, but will there be enough business for two companies whose business depends on Dublin Airport, at a time when travel and aviation are on their knees?

What about the travel agents in Cork, how many of them will be crippled by cancellations and not recover?

And with the collapse in tourism and double digit unemployment, how will so many restaurants, hotels and bars remain open?

So far the ones we know are -

Debenhams
Oasis

I'll add to this list as it unfortunately grows over the coming days and weeks

The money the employees of the companies you list would be spent in restaurants, bars etc so the knock on effect of these people losing jobs will see many other businesses suffer,

The money the employees of the companies you list would be spent in restaurants, bars etc so the knock on effect of these people losing jobs will see many other businesses suffer,

There'll be less places to go on a night out and there'll be less nights out in general as people won't have the cash to spend on treats like that

I could see beauty salons etc affected as a result of that. People will be less reluctant to pamper themselves and will just so their makeup and nails at home

Beauty Salons - GONE. There were too many clones going round anyway; the term 'Beauty' was getting questionable.

Why did they close garden centres..? I imagine these will reopen just so people have something to do at home. Hair dressers will have to reopen but it will all be by appointment only. No more walk ins.

Night life is finished. Post offices will probably close and cash will be banned.. we'll have to go chip and tap.

Im right!

You're not though.

You seem to find the "oh the world is ending, we're doomed, DOOMED" shtick funny. Which is grand like if a little dull, but I really hope you are a bored teenager and not the adult working in the health service that you claim to be.

Ok you prefer to hear more optimistic, unrealistic and fantasy then?

Right... the lockdown will end next week and its straight into coppers for everyone. The government will give us free tickets to three concerts of our choice... free meal vouchers and a 5000 euro bonus for the inconvenience of it all. Back to work as normal everyone. YAY....

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

18th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼