Woman murdered in Tullamore..

We live in strange times,racism, George Floyd, this dispicable murder, gender fluidity, social media generation.

At the end of the day it boils down to common decency and moral values. What can any man or human do but try to live your life with a good moral compass, if your a parent teach your kids respect and equality or if ur involved in a GAA club or scout troop try and pass this onto the youth of today where possible.

Crimes have happened since the beginning time, perhaps in past there was a perception that things were better but a lot happened in a different era where things were hidden swept under the carpet .

Humanity hasn’t changed that much.

Some will help you in this situation, some will not help, probably in fear. I’d like to think I am brave enough to right someone doing wrong when I see it but I don’t think I always am. Sometimes I have fear of what could become of me if I intervene. Does that make me a bad person?

If someone has a gun and is shooting someone, do we all run towards the man with the gun to stop him? I don’t think so. Sometimes(not always) I am just accountable for myself. If I saw a friend doing wrong then I am fairly sure I would call it out.

But no amount of correcting of misogynistic behaviour is going to stop someone like that psycho on Thursday from committing such cruel crime. That’s a very different scale. Yet somehow these things are being linked but this will all blow over again in few weeks when some new public incident can be used to push another agenda on social media. Who will remember poor Ashling Murphy then?
No one has suggested that it would. But correcting misogynistic behaviour would go a long way to making women feel safer.

It is unlikely that a man will murder me. It is very likely that one will shout abuse at me, or intimidate me etc though.

Great. If they don't then congrats on having a decent bunch of friends. Nothing more is being asked of you.

You are already doing what is being asked of you when women ask for men to be accountable for their own actions and to call out the actions of the men around them.

Why are you taking offence at being asked to do something that you are already doing?
Because, you, and many others like you, keep saying or implementing ALL men. So you are basically saying im a prick, like all other men.

What?

Now you're just outright lying.

I said Madigan was cynically trying to piggyback on this story to raise her profile.

I stand over that 100%
Do you believe that she was genuinely in fear while running, as she said she was?

Because you certainly didn't give that impression on Thursday.

Because, you, and many others like you, keep saying or implementing ALL men. So you are basically saying im a prick, like all other men.
That is not what I have said, at all.

I have said that you have a responsibility to not be a prick to women (or men). If you are already doing that then congratulations, you're not a prick.

You have a responsibility to call out your friends if they are being pricks to woman (or men). Again, if you are already doing that then congrats, you're not a prick!

It should be easy for you to confirm that if a friend of yours did assault or abuse a woman you would intervene then?

Why are you rattling on about some hypothetical scenario where I need to stop someone being assaulted? Total nonsense.

Your whole performance here really cheapens what happened to that poor girl. You are only throwing about insults and repeatedly going on with this 'so heres something you never said or suggested'.

Like I said if you were so worried about it you would have taken the short walk down the road to her Cork vigil instead of haranguing anyone here who disagrees with you.

Women are going to have to get on with it.

It's far more dangerous for men out in public while 99.9% of men are only dying to come across a psycho attacking a lone woman so they'll look like heroes.

Why are you rattling on about some hypothetical scenario where I need to stop someone being assaulted? Total nonsense.

Your whole performance here really cheapens what happened to that poor girl. You are only throwing about insults and repeatedly going on with this 'so heres something you never said or suggested'.

Like I said if you were so worried about it you would have taken the short walk down the road to her Cork vigil instead of haranguing anyone here who disagrees with you.
My husband is working so I have the kids. I don't think it is appropriate to expose two 5 year olds to this.

Just mentioning this because otherwise you will still be whinging on in 12 months about me not attending the Cork vigil, which is of course not the only vigil that I can attend.

You seem to really be struggling to answer whether or not you would intervene if your friend was abusing a woman. I wouldn't have thought it was a difficult question to be honest, but so be it.

The point of asking about the hypothetical situation is in reference to you saying

“We are all responsible for our own behavior and no one else.”

Women are going to have to get on with it.

It's far more dangerous for men out in public while 99.9% of men are only dying to come across a psycho attacking a lone woman so they'll look like heroes.

The Ballyfermot guy isn't a good analogy. cause he was definitely involved in crime
Was he definitely involved in crime ?
All reports i read indicated otherwise .

Could you link to the reports confirming his criminal background or explain how you’ve arrived at that conclusion

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Vault 003

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼